Thailand extends grace period for stranded foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, Promula said:

And isn't the Elite the perfect opportunity for a foreigner to show off their own "power"?

Nah man it's just for retards with excess cash on hand. I bet the 11k that brought it. 90% never optimised it's use.

Now that's a great question.

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

That simply is not true. Go look at the many threads, with some angry old farangs posting dozens upon dozens of posts all with the same basic theme:

"You gamed the system !" (False, the amnesty and extension are legal and granted by the Thai Govt)

"You had enough time; now get out !" (In case you missed it, there's a worldwide pandemic and Thailand is beating it health-wise as well or better than any country, so those choosing to use the legal means the Thai Govt granted to stay, chose to do so.)

One poster chimed in "I've got 85kg of popcorn I'm going to enjoy watching" (Immigration Police roll up overstayers and jail them). That's petty.

All of those comments reek of bitter, angry. old men, who seem to hate everything, but I suspect are emailing any buddies they have left back home boasting of 'living the dream'. BS. Likely misery is a part of their character.

Get a life, because the constant trolling of these threads wishing disruption upon folks grateful for what Thailand generously has provided doesn't exactly say "I'm just so busy enjoying every moment of this existence". Those of us on amnesty, extensions, and now things like Thai Elite ARE enjoying Thailand and our lives.

Don't let this upset you and don't take it personally.

Do you have a Elite visa ?

We have all been told to either get a visa or leave 

Visas are available to everyone , why some people not get them ?

Some people are  indeed playing the system , using the pandemic to stay long term without getting a visa .

Putting Thailand in quite an awkward situation , deport these people or let them stay  .

Like squatters , they want to live for free without paying .

When their luck finally runs out , they will be playing the victim, "Its not fair "

Flights out are available , visas are available .

Just that some people want to stay on a freebie and are using the pandemic as an excuse 

Best of luck to you all , but, it wont last long term .

(BTW , I am not old , I didnt marry a prostitute and my sex life is  satisfactory ) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Putting Thailand in quite an awkward situation , deport these people or let them stay  .

They can fine on departure, and skip the round up and deport step until regional borders re-open. It's not that awkward.

Edited by jacob29

people came to Thailand to enjoy themselves for better or for worst, why do you put yourself in a position that you have to be scare of getting kick out every month, living month by month praying to god for another amnesty or extension, moaning and complaining of how bad Thailand is doing their business, how do you live like that, isn't that torturing, what the heck people 

16 minutes ago, vinci said:

people came to Thailand to enjoy themselves for better or for worst, why do you put yourself in a position that you have to be scare of getting kick out every month, living month by month praying to god for another amnesty or extension, moaning and complaining of how bad Thailand is doing their business, how do you live like that, isn't that torturing, what the heck people 

Nah that's not what this is about. You see people actually got stuck here based on a pandemic and it's still causing panic and given the choice not many want to fly long haul and then to top that, fly to a pandemic ridden country. If thailand spotted this and provided a pandic in country visa you agents would be nullified. The month to month thing is a nightmare but it's better than actually going home and I sense of agents just became a lot more transparent then they could clean up based on quantity. Guess that is too much work for most though .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

Nah that's not what this is about. You see people actually got stuck here based on a pandemic and it's still causing panic and given the choice not many want to fly long haul and then to top that, fly to a pandemic ridden country. If thailand spotted this and provided a pandic in country visa you agents would be nullified. The month to month thing is a nightmare but it's better than actually going home and I sense of agents just became a lot more transparent then they could clean up based on quantity. Guess that is too much work for most though .

Yearly volunteer/Education/retirement  visas have been available , no questions asked .

Why these people not get those visas ? 

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yearly volunteer/Education/retirement  visas have been available , no questions asked .

Maybe the people offering them are too wayward. Maybe the system needs refining. I mean if the deal could be done at the source it would certainly smooth the process. Too many anonymous emails and shadow companies trying to inflate cost way too much. On the same note how do we know people have not took such options or are even aware of such options existing. Take this site for example the brain freeze you get seeing so much adverse content is designed to make the average Joe give up and find an agent. But the expat community is not avg Joe so all you get left with is low hanging fruit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Not me "bro" nobody can't get rid of me ! Im "burdock"! Mean all kind act of writing where say how need to do! You going to be arrested...... and so one! You not belong here if you dont have valid visa at the time!

That is not how should be txt! Coz none of them know people's situation!

Does your last sentence apply to yourself as well.??

Why didn't they do this 2 weeks ago? Most tourist budget their holidays so when they came to Thailand for 1 month and had to stay for 6 months, they ran out of money months ago. They had to ask friends and family for help with money, if they can get it. Now the government knows you can't get blood out of a stone so overstay would be pointless for many so Amnesty was gifted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Repeated 60 day extensions for anyone that wants them seems a good idea.

The end of agents and immigration corruption, and an increased income for the government.

Almost too good to be true!

A shame they waited until a couple of my pals were extorted for 50k 'Volunteer extensions'.

Yep. With every *****r already on the books, collection of revenue would be easy. 

• Like 1

What I would love to know is if previously obtained extensions of stay will now begin on Nov 1 instead of Sept 27? If not I am annoyed that I blew my 60 day extension for a measly 26 days. Not to mention having to open a bank account, transfer money etc for a Non O just to stay in the country until the end of the year, which this new announcement would have allowed me to do had it been delivered sooner. Rant over.

Edited by rowdyone
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Why didn't they do this 2 weeks ago? Most tourist budget their holidays so when they came to Thailand for 1 month and had to stay for 6 months, they ran out of money months ago. They had to ask friends and family for help with money, if they can get it. Now the government knows you can't get blood out of a stone so overstay would be pointless for many so Amnesty was gifted.

I'm actually looking forward to the government getting a good look at some of the bank accounts of people still here. They don't respect much, but that they might.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Because they're exactly the same inflated prices crooked BS we faced from tuktuk drivers as newbie tourists.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Why do some people believe a wafer changes into a body.? 

Why do people do many strange things.? 

So what's going on?

I have a 60 day extension based on family that expires the end of November, on an expired non O ME. Can I now (or later) easily get another 60 days added to this based on some Covid thing?

Though I'll probably go to get a 12 month extension instead, would be good to know the different options. 

• Like 1

Stranded foreigners who wish to stay in Thailand after October 31 must submit an application to an Immigration office by October 3.

Let's wait the real "deal" but this read in Nation Thailand news! So don't only sit on behind if this is the case and want still be here after 31 next month. 

Im happy for all who need new grace period but don't wait its going to happen again and again....

Edited by 2 is 1

19 minutes ago, Santzes said:

I'm happy they extended it, but not so much about the communication. Don't even care about the hassle of doing the extension and 1,900, but as my embassy doesn't give out letters and I can only do one 60-day extension to visit a child, my visa will finish over a month before it would had I known that. One extra month would mean spending the Christmas with relatives for the first time in 12 years, one less month means flying back in a terrible time&weather for absolutely nothing. Let's hope those promised 60-day extensions will be good. 

Initially how long did you plan to stay here.? 

How long have you been here now.? 

If there had been no amnesty how long would you have stayed.? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Seik said:

Yes, hopefully at the last second they will do nothing at all instead of playing this ridiculous game of cat and mouse (guess which is which). Amnesty will then be extended again. ????

Are you an IO? It's their problem, not ours. I don't understand why you care if people choose not to act like good little sheeps running to be fleeced at every turn. Do tell us why you think people should rush to Immigration to waste their money and extensions for nothing...

If you believe the official narrative and think amnesty was extended because of the overcrowded offices to begin with, you are extremely naive... The government and immigration colluded to push people to get a visa based on an empty threat. 

Really! Please go ahead... tell me more...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

So what's going on?

I have a 60 day extension based on family that expires the end of November, on an expired non O ME. Can I now (or later) easily get another 60 days added to this based on some Covid thing?

Though I'll probably go to get a 12 month extension instead, would be good to know the different options. 

We should get more information later tonight when / if its passed.

• Like 1