Win 10 upgrade has stuffed up everything again. Now cant display pictures.

giddyup

2 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

My Nord VPN did odd things as well. Uninstall it and reinstall it and it will work again.   

I tried that many times. I've gotten a HARD error TUN 1603 each install attempt. It's obviously common, there are a multitude of "fixes," none of which have worked for me. It IS about time for a rebuild - I reinstall Windows 2 or 3 times a year.

• Thanks 1

I had two issues last week after some updates were installed. One was 'Mail' and when I tried to open it a small window just said 'we are updating Mail gives us a few minutes'. after a couple of hours it hadn't changed so I 'uninstalled' and re-installed and was okay. I purchased Office Home and Student 2019 last year but after the update it booted with Office 365. I checked the details just to make sure I still had license for 2019 and no change there. But the application display was that of Office 365 and not my 2019 purchase (still had my add ins). After about half an hour of searching through update problem forums and found one that said that all office programs would now boot from 365. Then on Sunday another (brief) update and my Office is back to 2019 boot.

I'm not being cheeky.  This is an honest suggestion.

Reconfigure you system so that you run Windows 10 but leave enough disk space to load a version of Linux such as Ubuntu in dual boot mode.

You'll be able to run your legacy Windows programs as you explore Linux and the applications it supports.  Linux doesn't have the bloat the plagues Windows 10.  It's fast and relatively small, updates quickly and easily, and because it's open source there is a wealth of help via Linux forums.  You'll probably find you spend less time using Windows.  I did this years ago and very seldom use Windows, and when I do use Win10 it's generally an unpleasant experience.  Best of luck with you Win10 issues.  :thumbsup:

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, hereforgood said:

I had nothing but issues with Windows 10 I completely disabled any and all updates and now everything is fine

I did the same a year ago. Web search will turn up a small app that hacks the registry. Updates can be enabled again easily too if you want. 

I really dislike how win10 takes my machine out of my control. Eventually I'll dump it and install some Linux variant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

I'm not being cheeky.  This is an honest suggestion.

Reconfigure you system so that you run Windows 10 but leave enough disk space to load a version of Linux such as Ubuntu in dual boot mode.

You'll be able to run your legacy Windows programs as you explore Linux and the applications it supports.  Linux doesn't have the bloat the plagues Windows 10.  It's fast and relatively small, updates quickly and easily, and because it's open source there is a wealth of help via Linux forums.  You'll probably find you spend less time using Windows.  I did this years ago and very seldom use Windows, and when I do use Win10 it's generally an unpleasant experience.  Best of luck with you Win10 issues.  :thumbsup:

the OP is not computer savy,  this is to complex for simple photos not shown.

18 hours ago, J Town said:

I tried that many times. I've gotten a HARD error TUN 1603 each install attempt. It's obviously common, there are a multitude of "fixes," none of which have worked for me. It IS about time for a rebuild - I reinstall Windows 2 or 3 times a year.

I don't know if Win 10 has this, but with Win 7 there was something that did a check-up and rebuild.  I used it once and it indeed worked wonders, my CPU idled at around 20% before hand, and afterwards it went down to around 5%.   The sound drivers on my present Win 10 are going a bit hinky, and after trying all the usual tricks I'm considering giving it a try, if it's still available.  All in all, I've been running the same installation (and updating) for over 4 years now, for me that's a record.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I did the same a year ago. Web search will turn up a small app that hacks the registry. Updates can be enabled again easily too if you want. 

I really dislike how win10 takes my machine out of my control. Eventually I'll dump it and install some Linux variant. 

Keep it but just dual boot if you find you ever need to go back and run any programs that only run in Windows.  However Win10 is a pig. It needs four partitions to run and my implementation takes up 34GB with 15+GB in the ever growing winsxs folder.  Compare that to my Linux that takes 12GB in total.
But disk space nowadays is cheap and plentiful.  I keep it around but it only gets used maybe once a month on average. 

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

the OP is not computer savy,  this is to complex for simple photos not shown.

He could probably have someone in a computer shop custom build the a dual boot system for him.  Once it's built learn how to back it up and your gold.

Since my Win10 update I have two issues when using external monitors connected to laptop.

1. The screen flashes on and off when using Snip&Sketch certain features (free form snip, and pencil or ballpoint pen markers), otherwise its OK!!

2. The BSOD that sorts itself out after 2 mnutes every time I take laptop away from external monitors and return/connect monitors and boot up again.

Using latest Win10 updates and latest Intel graphics drivers.

Ever since Bill Gates, let his monkeys out to play at Microsoft, Windows has become a joke, with all its untried or untested so called updates. Everything is to do with profit making now, like having to pay for the basic things windows provided, and screwing up computers, .makes more profit for engineers and shops selling the junk

4 hours ago, connda said:

Keep it but just dual boot if you find you ever need to go back and run any programs that only run in Windows.  However Win10 is a pig. It needs four partitions to run and my implementation takes up 34GB with 15+GB in the ever growing winsxs folder.  Compare that to my Linux that takes 12GB in total.
But disk space nowadays is cheap and plentiful.  I keep it around but it only gets used maybe once a month on average. 

Agreed. Can even boot Linux from a USB stick. Can try several Linux flavors while still having win10. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Agreed. Can even boot Linux from a USB stick. Can try several Linux flavors while still having win10. 

I have never tried Linux but obviously you guys seem to like it so I think I'll look it up. Any useful tips?

49 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I have never tried Linux but obviously you guys seem to like it so I think I'll look it up. Any useful tips?

do a web search on "replace win10 linux"

You will see tons of results. There are several that try very hard to emulate WIN10 user experience, will run apps, etc. There are many free ones but the better ones cost some modest price like $30. Ubuntu is very popular.

https://www.ricksdailytips.com/replace-windows-with-linux/

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-make-the-switch-from-windows-to-linux

You don't have to be an expert but there are several considerations. Best to read a bit about it and then pick a few to study closer.

I have been using win10 with all my Office apps on it so much for consulting work that I'm reluctant to change anything now. But a bootable thumb drive is a great start because it won't touch anything with your present machine but you can get a feel for Linux.

good luck!

• Like 1