Win 10 upgrade has stuffed up everything again. Now cant display pictures.

giddyup

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

do a web search on "replace win10 linux"

You will see tons of results. There are several that try very hard to emulate WIN10 user experience, will run apps, etc. There are many free ones but the better ones cost some modest price like $30. Ubuntu is very popular.

https://www.ricksdailytips.com/replace-windows-with-linux/

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-make-the-switch-from-windows-to-linux

You don't have to be an expert but there are several considerations. Best to read a bit about it and then pick a few to study closer.

I have been using win10 with all my Office apps on it so much for consulting work that I'm reluctant to change anything now. But a bootable thumb drive is a great start because it won't touch anything with your present machine but you can get a feel for Linux.

good luck!

Thanks very much. Yes, like you I have a lot of work done on Windows and as one gets to old age...well you know, Ha. I will take a look in the next day or two though. Once again thank you for taking time to reply.

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:57 AM, hereforgood said:

I had nothing but issues with Windows 10 I completely disabled any and all updates and now everything is fine

Cool, good move, hackers around the world applaud your stand.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:33 AM, TKDfella said:

I have never tried Linux but obviously you guys seem to like it so I think I'll look it up. Any useful tips?

Prepare for a world of headaches as you struggle with a lack of drivers and applications, and try and fumble your way through an unfamiliar OS.

On 9/29/2020 at 1:54 PM, Eindhoven said:

It's interesting that some people have nothing but issues with Windows 10, whereas others have none at all.

I'm in the 'none at all' brigade at the moment; thought I'm a relatively light user.

Most people don't have issues. The majority of them are down to Microsoft desperately trying - and failing - to support old hardware and software that should be in the bin.

On 9/30/2020 at 2:42 AM, Digitalbanana said:

Since my Win10 update I have two issues when using external monitors connected to laptop.

1. The screen flashes on and off when using Snip&Sketch certain features (free form snip, and pencil or ballpoint pen markers), otherwise its OK!!

2. The BSOD that sorts itself out after 2 mnutes every time I take laptop away from external monitors and return/connect monitors and boot up again.

Using latest Win10 updates and latest Intel graphics drivers.

If it's a Win 10-supported PC, go to the vendor website and make sure you install the latest Chipset drivers, BIOS, etc.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:05 PM, kingstonkid said:

How do you disable and stop upgrades

You shouldn't. You are asking for trouble. Most of the critical updates are to protect you against newly identified threats and vulnerabilities. Not patching an Internet-connected computer is stupid.

My older laptop updated 3 days ago. It is about 4-5 years old. Afterwards, it was unable to detect my wireless router for 24 hours, i rebooted about 5 times and did useless connectivity checks - only showed some other local connections (so wireless was working). Next day i rebooted and it found my router...... but next time i woke the laptop up it claimed my password was wrong - retried 4 times so i know it wasn't (checked caps lock etc). rebooted and password worked.

Now, it may not have been the update ..... but haven't had these problems before. 

Used to get some problems every time an update was waiting to install - sound card wouldn't work. But that stopped a couple of years ago.

I loved windows XP. Guess that shows my age! Nothing since then has been an improvement!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 3:02 PM, Moncul said:

Prepare for a world of headaches as you struggle with a lack of drivers and applications, and try and fumble your way through an unfamiliar OS.

Yes I thought about that, and still thinking about it, Ha!

so OP .....  how did you get on  ?   did you manage to get pictures back instead of icons.

reason I ask is yesterday my PC did the same .... it just suddenly changed to icons.

I unchecked ' show icons not thumbnails '   ..... but that didn't work.

I did a disk cleanup of the thumbnails cache and then rebooted and it came good again, got the picture/photos back. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 9:03 AM, Moncul said:

Most people don't have issues. The majority of them are down to Microsoft desperately trying - and failing - to support old hardware and software that should be in the bin.

Not all; my laptop is more than thirteen years old. Everything works as it should for me.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:05 PM, rickudon said:

My older laptop updated 3 days ago. It is about 4-5 years old. Afterwards, it was unable to detect my wireless router for 24 hours, i rebooted about 5 times and did useless connectivity checks - only showed some other local connections (so wireless was working). Next day i rebooted and it found my router...... but next time i woke the laptop up it claimed my password was wrong - retried 4 times so i know it wasn't (checked caps lock etc). rebooted and password worked.

Now, it may not have been the update ..... but haven't had these problems before. 

Used to get some problems every time an update was waiting to install - sound card wouldn't work. But that stopped a couple of years ago.

I loved windows XP. Guess that shows my age! Nothing since then has been an improvement!

Swap your creaky old HDD for an SSD. Solid state drives solve a variety of problems, even with Windows Updates.

I would like to take a poll of the people who have problems with Windows Updates and how many of them are still running magnetic spinning discs as their operating system Boot drives.

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

so OP .....  how did you get on  ?   did you manage to get pictures back instead of icons.

reason I ask is yesterday my PC did the same .... it just suddenly changed to icons.

I unchecked ' show icons not thumbnails '   ..... but that didn't work.

I did a disk cleanup of the thumbnails cache and then rebooted and it came good again, got the picture/photos back. 

Was just about to post that the separate cached image 'thumbnails' were probably corrupted but the OP could clear those out (via disk cleanup or ccleaner) and the OS should generate new ones on its own. 

I see the OP already liked your post and should be on his way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

Was just about to post that the separate cached image 'thumbnails' were probably corrupted but the OP could clear those out (via disk cleanup or ccleaner) and the OS should generate new ones on its own. 

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

Still having problems, I have unticked the box "always show icons", but the photos still aren't displayed. If I do a disk cleanup and remove the thumbnails are you sure that won't give me more problems? As you can probably guess, I'm not that computer savvy. Edit: Did disk cleanup of the thumbnails, rebooted the PC and still images aren't displayed.

Edited by giddyup

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Edit: Did disk cleanup of the thumbnails, rebooted the PC and still images aren't displayed.

Try moving some of the pictures to a new folder and see if the OS generates new thumbnails for them.

I've previously experienced thumbnail creation errors is one of the files in the folder is corrupted (preventing the creation task from completing). Moving *some* to see if it's running will test the background task is working correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, hereforgood said:

I had nothing but issues with Windows 10 I completely disabled any and all updates and now everything is fine

That will work for a while but eventually with catch up with you.

image.png.91e7c43f1cef7fa82d2077012c7d631d.png

Better to deal w/ the updates as they come along. Delaying, though, I can see; I sometimes do that myself. I usually read something about the update before I install. If people are having problems, I delay until the fix is out.

13 hours ago, RichCor said:

Try moving some of the pictures to a new folder and see if the OS generates new thumbnails for them.

I've previously experienced thumbnail creation errors is one of the files in the folder is corrupted (preventing the creation task from completing). Moving *some* to see if it's running will test the background task is working correctly.

Thanks, that does work by creating a new folder.

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Thanks, that does work by creating a new folder.

If that worked then I'd guess one of your files in the original folder is corrupted and its presence is preventing the background thumbnail creation task from creating thumbs for the entire folder. But it could be something else.

The next thing to try is moving ALL your image files to another folder, then checking to see if thumbs are created for all files, then moving them back.

Windows 10 update has been known to delivers broken OS elements, but I haven't heard of that happening for a long while now. I've been testing 'Insider Preview' versions and have been pretty happy with the weekly previews for the last year ...but if you're still rocking 1903 or 1909 then I'd expect you might hit some glitches. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2020 at 8:44 AM, Eindhoven said:

Swap your creaky old HDD for an SSD. Solid state drives solve a variety of problems, even with Windows Updates.

I would like to take a poll of the people who have problems with Windows Updates and how many of them are still running magnetic spinning discs as their operating system Boot drives.

Strange you should say that. The update hit my netbook this morning which has an SSD drive, but the update couldn't install because Windows 10 already uses up 80% of the SSD drive and it wanted another 30% .... oh dear i do  not have 110% capacity!

I tried deleting everything  I could but that only freed up about one GB. The netbook is only 18 months old.

<deleted> Microsoft.

10 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Strange you should say that. The update hit my netbook this morning which has an SSD drive, but the update couldn't install because Windows 10 already uses up 80% of the SSD drive and it wanted another 30% .... oh dear i do  not have 110% capacity!

I tried deleting everything  I could but that only freed up about one GB. The netbook is only 18 months old.

<deleted> Microsoft.

What is the capacity of your ssd?

34 minutes ago, david555 said:

What is the capacity of your ssd?

30 GB. Small i know, but it is just for internet browsing and email. Windows has grown by about 6 GB in 18 months. Still have options of defrag (but that will not free up much) and finally, compress.

30 minutes ago, rickudon said:

30 GB. Small i know, but it is just for internet browsing and email. Windows has grown by about 6 GB in 18 months. Still have options of defrag (but that will not free up much) and finally, compress.

i was curious as my chuwi tablet hybrid  laptop has 256 gb and only use in total with 33gb when i make a system image.

try windows c right click properties disk clean up ...left under :clean up "system files"    after that  done you can clean up more : marked up above on disk clean up screen : " more options"  : systemrestore & shadow copies : can remove some restore points ...it always keep the most recent one anyway 

This can save much space , worth a try ....or if possible use memory card if slot availble

Also some programs have light version too as example Skype light ....line light  etc...can find on windows store saves a lot space 

Edited by david555

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

<deleted> Microsoft.

That's an eMMC drive; an SD card soldered to the motherboard.

In these cases, you can mess around cleaning up, removing the Windows.old folder or even adding a Micro SD card to expand the storage capacity.

But personally, I would run a format and clean install to the Netbook, solving that and future problems.

Solved in the way of a clean install of the latest versions creating a "Reserved Storage" space for future updates.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out  ......

When I check the ' smooth scroll '  box ,  WIN10 changes all desktop thumbnails into icons as per the OP's problem, and the text goes into a light slight pixed format,  so I went and checked the cleartexttype mode it is fixed.

Can anyone explain why this happens with WIN10 .....  both the smooth scroll problem and the text issue   ??

What has smooth scroll got to do with Thumbnails / Icons    ?

Edited by steven100

• 4 weeks later...