Education Ministry promises to resolve case of abusive kindergarten teacher

snoop1130

Education Ministry promises to resolve case of abusive kindergarten teacher

By The Nation

800_29fef7c872291f9.jpeg

The Education Ministry on Monday set up a team to investigate and solve the case of a teacher abusing kindergarten students at Nonthaburi’s Sarasas Witaed Ratchaphruek School.

After this case came to light last week, people have been questioning the use of punishment in Thai schools, asking if taunting students or using a rod on them is really necessary.

Meanwhile, Deputy Education Minister Dr Kanokwan Wilawan said she has discussed the case with related agencies, including the Nonthaburi school’s principal and parents at the ministry on Monday.

She said the school has taken responsibility for the teacher’s behaviour and will ensure that students are no longer punished.

“The ministry will also improve guidelines for recruiting kindergarten teachers to meet standards,” she said.

As for the foreign teacher who also abused the kindergarten students, she said the ministry will have related agencies check whether he holds a valid visa and if he has a teaching licence.

“If he is found to be in violation of the law, the ministry will cooperate with the Immigration Bureau to take legal action,” she said.

The minister added that police officers are checking all CCTV cameras inside the school to see if other students have been victimised.

"I and the working team will resolve this issue and help students and parents as soon as possible,” she added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395260

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-28

I worked at Sarasas Pittaya back in the early 2000s. The butch female PE teacher used to go around hitting the kids (Mathayom) with a piece of PVC  pipe. 

The other one I remember at Sarasas was poor old Suparit. 11 years old, smart kid but hyper. Remember asking the Thai teacher if she could help me one day. She sure did. Took him into the toilet cubicle next to the classroom and all I could hear for the next couple of minutes was “Whack, scream, whack scream....” 

When I worked as a high school teacher in Seoul in the late 90s, one of the Korean English teachers punched a kid in the face in the staff room. No one battered an eyelid. When I asked about it, I found out the parents had paid extra money to the teacher to discipline their kid. Go figure.

Edited by AndyFoxy
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

As for the foreign teacher who also abused the kindergarten students, she said the ministry will have related agencies check whether he holds a valid visa and if he has a teaching licence.

Surely the schools principal could have answered that at the interview, if he has neither then how can he be employed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UPDATE:

School axes 4 teachers for allegedly assaulting kindergartners, vows to change exec panel

By THE NATION

800_eecc3c1c6f3b684.jpg?v=1601344562

Sarasas Witaed Ratchaphruek School in Nonthaburi province has terminated the employment of four teachers who allegedly physically assaulted young students.

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1184626-school-sacks-teacher-caught-assaulting-kindergartners-offers-legal-help-to-parents-in-prosecuting-her/?do=findComment&comment=15863996

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The Minister is out of order, the police should have full powers to prosecute the "teacher" for assault and the Minister order the school to sake the "teacher" and if the "teacher" is found to have be employed without the necessary qualifications, then the Minister should remove the Principal as a further example.

But Thailand being Thailand, a wai 500 baht fine and moved to another school, my pen rai. 

Correct, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Correct.

The EM is treating alleged child abuse as a civil matter rather than as a criminal matter. It should be for the RTP to properly investigate the allegations and make criminal charges as appropriate.

But this matter may have broader implications for the entire education program. I suspect higher level Education administers may prefer civil investigations by EM (vs. an independent agency such as RTP  or DSI) for similar or other forms of child abuse than facing immediate criminal investigations.

In a nation where defamation is a criminal act, making child abuse a civil act seems unjustified and inadequate.

That is why I said the EM is out of order, it is a criminal act and the teacher should be charged accordingly, no cover ups, and those responsible should pay in compensation to send a clear message to others, bet you won't see a repeat then.

13 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

What is the minister going to do about all those other (hundreds? or even thousands?) abusive teachers, and not only in kindergarten. 

Probably go after foreign teachers who don't have work permits, etc. Take the focus off the abysmal state of education and discipline by teachers in schools by going after the low-hanging fruit that is foreigners. 

• Like 1