Trying to protect others despite thinking it's futile to even try

Deserted

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unless he was at the Blanket and Bean Hotel or the Nana Hotel, there are no others that I know of that are currently open on the main road until you hit the hi-end hotels past the Hilary 1 bar and 7-11 on the opposite side of the road.  Maybe he was near Rajah Alley and down one of the side Soi's where there are condo's.  

yes, there is an alleyway just past that, that was it.

28 minutes ago, Deserted said:

it was literally 20 meters and i don't go into bars. it seemed okay but yes when I saw what was goin on on the floor below, I realized I had made a mistake but was also in disbelief to some degree. 

Just stop it! You say that you do not care about what people do, then let them be. I do not think that there are som many people that are stupid enough to walk to that second floor after you described what was going on at the first. Really? It´s your own stupidity. Got caught in heavy rain and floods???? I guess you always had the option to go to 7-Eleven. I think they have 3 or 4 only on that short street. They also have restaurants, where you could drink and eat. Also go in and pay for a massage. Take a taxi to subway, just a normal 5 minute walk from Soi 4.

Can it be that you were broke, and just desperately needed something for free?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Deserted said:

What to do? 

Soi 4 is an odd place to be for someone who doesn't drink (bars do sell non-alcoholic items) and for whom temporary refuge in a bar was "out of the question".  

The only think that you could report them for was alleged drug-taking by unknown people, is that really what you want to do?

Next time you put yourself in that worrying situation don't take at least 15 minutes to decide to leave when you think that you know exactly what's going on.

Edited by Cod Face

16 hours ago, steven100 said:
16 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

sounds like bs to me.. If you weren't into that scene why spend 1 minute there?. That's either being terminally naïve or purposelessly stupid especially when you understand the lingo. And you're going to the owner and threaten the cops? sorry, I don't believe this account at all..

agree .... it's just a made up story imo.

I think the story is perfectly believable - strange things happen to people, they just do even when its difficult for us to believe. I’ve found myself in strange situations whereby if I tried to explain it, the story would seem just weird and someone on this forum would claim troll - there is always the person on a forum who claims troll !!!!

The Op got soaked. Was naive enough to believe someone was trying to help him. Was silly enough to follow a stranger to a room. Was dumb enough to stay there when he saw what was unfolding. Was smart enough to understand Thai and begin to trust his instincts and leave quickly. 

The Op has learned a valuable lesson and he’s been kind enough to share it and warn us all.

----

Slightly different story: A friend told me that last week he was late night drinking with another friend (in Bangkok). 

They'd just paid their bill but had half their beer remaining. They were drunk and not paying close attention to their beers. One friend was about to leave, my friend said was going to leave in 5-10mins or so, perhaps have another drink. 

My friend took a sip from his beer and straight away tasted something strange he described as a chemical taste - he immediately spat out his beer, my friend said he thought they’d tried to ‘drug him with something’.

They left immediately and walked down the street to get away where a TukTuk followed them for 5mins until they walked back against the traffic to avoid the TukTuk and then flagged down a passing taxi (on Sukhumvit rd)

My friend is sure something had been put in his drink.

Things happen - even if we don’t want to believe it and Thailands underbelly can be extremely opportunistic. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think the story is perfectly believable - strange things happen to people, they just do even when its difficult for us to believe. I’ve found myself in strange situations whereby if I tried to explain it, the story would seem just weird and someone on this forum would claim troll - there is always the person on a forum who claims troll !!!!

The Op got soaked. Was naive enough to believe someone was trying to help him. Was silly enough to follow a stranger to a room. Was dumb enough to stay there when he saw what was unfolding. Was smart enough to understand Thai and begin to trust his instincts and leave quickly. 

The Op has learned a valuable lesson and he’s been kind enough to share it and warn us all.

----

Slightly different story: A friend told me that last week he was late night drinking with another friend (in Bangkok). 

They'd just paid their bill but had half their beer remaining. They were drunk and not paying close attention to their beers. One friend was about to leave, my friend said was going to leave in 5-10mins or so, perhaps have another drink. 

My friend took a sip from his beer and straight away tasted something strange he described as a chemical taste - he immediately spat out his beer, my friend said he thought they’d tried to ‘drug him with something’.

They left immediately and walked down the street to get away where a TukTuk followed them for 5mins until they walked back against the traffic to avoid the TukTuk and then flagged down a passing taxi (on Sukhumvit rd)

My friend is sure something had been put in his drink.

Things happen - even if we don’t want to believe it and Thailands underbelly can be extremely opportunistic. 

what you describe has happened in every country in the world, very common in tourist areas because folks realize many foreign visitors are some of the dumbest people on the planet (especially those who drink). As far as the fairy tale we read about earlier, believe it if you choose but I certainly don't..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

but the friend wasn't so drunk that he couldn't do a quick chemical taste analysis. 

He said the sip he took had an ‘acrid chemical taste’...  enough to make him immediately react and spit it out. 

My guess is that whatever was put in the drink had not been fully mixed. He has no idea if was tablet, powder or a liquid that had been dropped in the drink - but the taste was strong.

The bar was apparently one of those makeshift street bars.

I guess they were drunk enough to stop off at such a place.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
21 minutes ago, Cod Face said:

"Was smart enough to understand Thai and begin to trust his instincts and leave quickly". 

Huh?  Not exactly, it took him at least 15 minutes to decide to leave according to his story!

OK... Not naive or dumb enough to stay and get caught out by what appeared to be a group of desperate low life’s trying to profit from an opportunistic sting.

Allegedly!

Edited by Cod Face

18 hours ago, Deserted said:

Sure but they will catch some unsuspecting fellow, its others I am trying to protect. Had I not been itermediate and above at thai for a long time, they would have had me trapped. I knew what they were doing. Very underhanded and nasty.

How many that are likely to go there do you think are reading this thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like the older old time days in Bangkok are back around again in that area as used to be in the PP area too. Leave it alone as is over his head and could get quite nasty as there are no hero's, only losers' in this game.

As for richard_smith237. Yep had the same thing happen to me some odd almost 20 years ago but also caught on to the something just went south with the drink. Actually back in the day a couple of times. Your friends were probably right on target, and the same as you seen a bunch of things but will not bring them up, I will say the same. Times are tough and foreigners are easy prey if you end up in the wrong environment. Just be careful. The OP got lucky in this case!.

• Like 1