Trying to protect others despite thinking it's futile to even try

Deserted

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Okay. Try lending a Thai some money, and then get back to us when they've paid the money back to you.

Your suggestion has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the issue of receiving help from Thai people and is thus irrelevant and meaningless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nout said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Okay. Try lending a Thai some money, and then get back to us when they've paid the money back to you.

Your suggestion has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the issue of receiving help from Thai people and is thus irrelevant and meaningless.

My comment was in response to a post about trusting Thai people, NOTHING AT ALL to do with receiving help from them.

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My comment was in response to a post about trusting Thai people, NOTHING AT ALL to do with receiving help from them.

You were responding to me and my comment thus about receiving kindness and help so I repeat your comment was irrelevant  meaningless rubbish and had nothing to do with the content of my comment.  You just dragged in an irrellevancy.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:08 PM, Deserted said:

I'm tempted to just tell the hotel owner I am very unhappy about what nearly happened and will be back in an hour with the police. They will search your hotel and arrest people, and this will happen again next week. That should shake therm up.

just let it go... I don't doubt you but if you try and 'shake them up' - I think you might eventually be the one to get shook... you are lucky you got out ok but It may not happen next time... 

and honestly, in a red light district, you were rather naive to go into someone's room... don't you think ?

1 hour ago, Nout said:

The second floor theory is nonsense originating in Pat Pong where upstairs bars were dodgy in the 80s But most of NP IS 2nd and 3rd Floor

.Many roof top bars are fun. Many massage parlours have rooms upstairs.

You have slightly sense of humor..?

And yes, I have tried Sukhumvit massage parlours, oily thai massage on 2nd floor; the gorgeous young lady cared so much about doing an excellent job that she also offered a happy ending...???? ...unfortunately an expensive optional extra compared to the two hours delightful relaxing massage, so out of the question...???? That kind of kind optional customer service seems, to my experience, much more likely on 2nd floor, than on the ground floor; I however never attended the massage parlours' private VIP-rooms on 3rd floor, so I have no impressions of that hi-so level...????

Roof tops are Okay...????

I can reveal that 2nd floor, or upstairs, bars and entertainment in the two Pat Pong streets were still dodgy as late as in the 00s...:whistling:

• Like 1

wow where is this place? Sounds like a blast!

Joking aside, probably best thing 2 things u can do are #1: warn others about the area (like u are here) and #2: grow up real quick. Dismiss people here calling u stupid; most talk the talk but dont walk the walk. Your experience is similar to what many have faced.

Mine was the mafia taxi bait & switch. Made the mistake of paying in advance for a long-haul ride to airport thinking i was safe bcoz w/ gfriend. Driver pulled onto a side road near BKK; said he wasn't permitted to go all the way w/o transfer. "Dont worry, u no pay extra & arrive on tiem" plus smile of course. Switched to van, gf in first,  me beside her, 2 bags on hump between us & driver. Pretty lady beside driver did the pacifying talk we'd leave in a min. Minute began to go overtime. I casually look around. There are 3 people behind us, all very large men on Thai scale. Looking left & right outside reveals we're not in a taxi stop at all but in very narrow hidden back alley. In front is a small group of children playing in the alley. I ask the lady again when we'll leave but she is different now, kurt and dismissive. Then i look down and to side slightly behind. In left hand of one man in back appears to be one of those machetes they sell at farmer's markets. Reality sinks that the only thing preventing a robbery are the kids playing in front who are in view. But when they leave..

I gently put my right arm affectionately around my gf's waist. Slowly relax my left on the sliding door sill, inch my hand toward the handle. Take a deep breath, slam side door open w/ lt, pick up gf w/ rt, lift her over me/out door, grab bags & spin outside, slam door shut. Haste to end of the alley, look back, & there are knives coming out of pretty lady's eyes at me. I return the stare and back away toward the end of the alley where we flag another taxi. 

Then i did get stupid. I put our bags in the new cab, put gf in, left door open. I walked back toward the van, pretended to note the plate number, looked up at the lady & driver, & spat on the windshield. Returned her look of pure rage with an arrogant grin & walked back to new cab. Kids were still there so no fight progressed but i did let my super-provoked aggression overcome clear-thinking. 

Some things i learned: #1: these scams almost always involve using a pretty lady as a pacifier. #2: obviously don't pay up front for any service but better lesson is keep most money in a safe separate spot like hidden pocket (more likely reason they asked for up front was to see where i keep my cash). #3: uh, maybe don't get in a taxi if there's a meathead wielding a machete? :-7 Hopefully this info is useful to people; salutes.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 1:59 PM, Deserted said:

Sure but they will catch some unsuspecting fellow, its others I am trying to protect. Had I not been itermediate and above at thai for a long time, they would have had me trapped. I knew what they were doing. Very underhanded and nasty.

What the hell is wrong with you. You made a very stupid and newbie error. As soon as you saw that you were being led into a dodgy neighbourhood and a boyfriend was involved you should have been out of there pronto, soaking wet or not. You also had plenty more chances, why hang around whilst they were speaking about stitching you up. I cant believe you werr so naive.

• Like 1

2 days since the OP has posted.  Looks like Deserted deserted his OP, possibly because it was nothing but a wind-up. He started the OP at 7:35 pm and his last post was 1 hour later, since then he has been radio silent.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

Moral of the story,

Go to a bar next time, have a beer & if you want a pretty girl, pay the bar fine & enjoy.

Certainly safer & cheaper if the worst had happened.

Stay away from people bearing gifts, they are mostly from the underworld & you are not ready to handle it.

1 hour ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

wow where is this place? Sounds like a blast!

Joking aside, probably best thing 2 things u can do are #1: warn others about the area (like u are here) and #2: grow up real quick. Dismiss people here calling u stupid; most talk the talk but dont walk the walk. Your experience is similar to what many have faced.

Mine was the mafia taxi bait & switch. Made the mistake of paying in advance for a long-haul ride to airport thinking i was safe bcoz w/ gfriend. Driver pulled onto a side road near BKK; said he wasn't permitted to go all the way w/o transfer. "Dont worry, u no pay extra & arrive on tiem" plus smile of course. Switched to van, gf in first,  me beside her, 2 bags on hump between us & driver. Pretty lady beside driver did the pacifying talk we'd leave in a min. Minute began to go overtime. I casually look around. There are 3 people behind us, all very large men on Thai scale. Looking left & right outside reveals we're not in a taxi stop at all but in very narrow hidden back alley. In front is a small group of children playing in the alley. I ask the lady again when we'll leave but she is different now, kurt and dismissive. Then i look down and to side slightly behind. In left hand of one man in back appears to be one of those machetes they sell at farmer's markets. Reality sinks that the only thing preventing a robbery are the kids playing in front who are in view. But when they leave..

I gently put my right arm affectionately around my gf's waist. Slowly relax my left on the sliding door sill, inch my hand toward the handle. Take a deep breath, slam side door open w/ lt, pick up gf w/ rt, lift her over me/out door, grab bags & spin outside, slam door shut. Haste to end of the alley, look back, & there are knives coming out of pretty lady's eyes at me. I return the stare and back away toward the end of the alley where we flag another taxi. 

Then i did get stupid. I put our bags in the new cab, put gf in, left door open. I walked back toward the van, pretended to note the plate number, looked up at the lady & driver, & spat on the windshield. Returned her look of pure rage with an arrogant grin & walked back to new cab. Kids were still there so no fight progressed but i did let my super-provoked aggression overcome clear-thinking. 

Some things i learned: #1: these scams almost always involve using a pretty lady as a pacifier. #2: obviously don't pay up front for any service but better lesson is keep most money in a safe separate spot like hidden pocket (more likely reason they asked for up front was to see where i keep my cash). #3: uh, maybe don't get in a taxi if there's a meathead wielding a machete? :-7 Hopefully this info is useful to people; salutes.

Frightening story...  

Now I’m waiting for posters in this thread to pick holes in your story and call you a liar, naive, stupid or a troll.... 

Thats the risk when sharing a personal experience - there is also some halfwit a$$.hat on this forum who doesn’t want to believe it.

• Like 2

Were there any Philippines involved? They have this scheme working already many years.

They lure you to get your money by threatening you and or bash you up.

In Philippines, mostly a nice lady comes up to you and ask where you come from, then they have a sister who is going to work where you come from. What a coincidence. They invite you to go with them to have a something to eat in "their "house and have a chat about your country. Looks nice hey, but they are just out on your money. 

Another scheme which is active in eastern Europe (maybe more places). You go to a bar and just order a drink, you will get a lady to you. Of course she is nice and ask you if she can have something to drink. After short jolly time they give you the bill and that bill is

way out of what you ordered. Almost immediately there is a big guy with you, threatening. Pay or otherwise. And the entrance is locked ! They work with taxi drivers, which will try you, to get to such a bar. Of course the drivers are paid afterwards.

In Thailand you probably already know the jetski scheme. When you return after jolly time on jetski, they will force you to pay for the damages, you didnt cause.

Be aware, as people arent that nice sometimes  and you can end up bad.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:08 PM, Deserted said:

I'm tempted to just tell the hotel owner I am very unhappy about what nearly happened and will be back in an hour with the police. They will search your hotel and arrest people, and this will happen again next week. That should shake therm up.

you were lucky you didn't get banged up, forget about it and don't do anything stupid like this again

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 7:35 PM, Deserted said:

That's not my thing at all, so I just went up a floor and into the room of the woman and her boyfriend.

This should have read:
That's not my thing at all, so I left the building as quickly as I could, jumped in a taxi and didn't look back.
Less drama, more believable.

Edited by orchis

On 9/28/2020 at 10:15 AM, geriatrickid said:

I am going to   go on the  basis that this is not wind up as I can believe the circumstances. it has happened before and in my innocent days, I would have fallen for it.

1. Do not threaten or caution the "hotel" owner. Management is well aware of what is going on. This is their business. You   endanger it, and you may find your self dead in the gutter. Drug pushers have no hesitation in getting rid of  potential threats.

2. Don't bother with the police. They most likely are well aware of the operation. nothing goes on without someone paying protection money. The police will take care of you and the issue, but I don't think you would like the outcome.

Count your blessings and do not go back. Feel free to warn your friends.

You dodged a bullet. Don't go back and tempt fate again.

What kind of response is this?   You don't really opine on whether it's true or not, then you go on to present well thought out and reasonable advice.  This just does not fit in with 99% of the other replies.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 9:06 AM, Deserted said:

Oh I needed to be sure, I was there about 15 mins. They were getting mafia type people round and bring ing girls in with drugs, they knew what they were doing, their reaction when I stood up and got ready to leave was a dead give away

I dont understand, so they brought other girls into the room you were in and Mafia guys shows up in the room? What does a mafia guy look like....was he wearing a police uniform?