Helena Bonham Carter loved the idea for Enola Holmes: ‘It’s like a **** you’ to Sherlock

snoop1130

Helena Bonham Carter loved the idea for Enola Holmes: ‘It’s like a **** you’ to Sherlock

By Annabel Nugent

EH-14740_r.jpg

Helena Bonham Carter has said she loved the idea for Enola Holmes because the film’s concept is “like a **** you” to Sherlock.

Rather than focus on the world-famous sleuth, the recently released Netflix movie tells the story of Sherlock’s younger sister, Enola.

Speaking to EW, Bonham Carter – who plays the offbeat mother of the Holmes siblings – revealed why she loved the idea of looking at “the unknown sister” instead.

She said: “I just loved the idea of it. It’s actually funny, because Sherlock himself is quite misogynistic, the original Sherlock. So it’s like a ‘**** you’, but you can’t say ‘**** you’ to Sherlock.”

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/helena-bonham-carter-enola-holmes-sherlock-netflix-b667183.html

• Haha 1

I saw the movie, and didn't mind it. I like Millie Bobby Brown, and her character was fun energetic, and not without flaws. And let's face it, it's a much better take than trying to reboot the actual Sherlock as a woman. Sherlock himself was still the socially awkward genius.... but showing how that awkwardness had affected his relationship with his sister was completely inline with his character. Mycroft on the other hand, was just an stereotypical Victorian <deleted>. Not much depth there, but served his purpose. Overall I enjoyed the story, but the ending felt a little rushed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katipo said:

I saw the movie, and didn't mind it. I like Millie Bobby Brown, and her character was fun energetic, and not without flaws. And let's face it, it's a much better take than trying to reboot the actual Sherlock as a woman. Sherlock himself was still the socially awkward genius.... but showing how that awkwardness had affected his relationship with his sister was completely inline with his character. Mycroft on the other hand, was just an stereotypical Victorian <deleted>. Not much depth there, but served his purpose. Overall I enjoyed the story, but the ending felt a little rushed.

Thanks for the review.  You nailed it.  I enjoyed the movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am a Holmesian, ever since getting William S. Baring-Gould's Annoted two volume set as a 13 YO birthday gift.

While I've not read any of the Nancy Springer YA books, I did love this Netflix film. Millie Bobbie Brown and her sister, Paige are Producers.

Agree that Mycroft was more one-dimensional that could have been ideal, and more of his pre-Diogenes Club days could have been written in.

9/10 for me. 

9 hours ago, jesimps said:

I consigned it to the bin after I read its review. I refuse to watch any more feminism rubbish. Funny fellers these women.

yea, guys that got hit in the crotch with an axe.  Just don't seem to think right after that.