from O visa to marriage visa question

I used one of those visa agencies to convert a stamp on arrival (tourist) to an O-visa "volunteer". So right now I am on this O-visa "volunteer" and I married a Thai. I want to convert to marriage visa or marriage extension of stay without leaving the country. Is this possible? The agency quoted me a pretty high number and I just feel like a cash cow for these people. can I do this on my own?

If you're on a 90 days Non-immigrant O now, you should after 60 days be able to apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage as long as you meet the financial requirements. Those are either 400k in a Thai bank 2 months prior to the application or 40k/month in regular deposits. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you're on a 90 days Non-immigrant O now, you should after 60 days be able to apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage as long as you meet the financial requirements. Those are either 400k in a Thai bank 2 months prior to the application or 40k/month in regular deposits. 

If your income/salary comes from the USA and you have a US bank account, do you just need to show them your US bank account statement and that's enough to prove the 40K/mo THB income? 

3 hours ago, Hansen88a said:

If your income/salary comes from the USA and you have a US bank account, do you just need to show them your US bank account statement and that's enough to prove the 40K/mo THB income? 

No. You need to show it as a foreign deposit into your Thai bank account.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 3421abc said:

Thank you so much for your reply. I have 400k but not in Thailand, I am guessing it is too late for this option since my 90-day O expires in 1 month. Is it possible to get a work permit being married to a Thai? I would be self employed.

If you have not applied one yet you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit you wife to get more time to have the money in the bank.

You could apply for a work permit but you have to be working for a registered company to apply for it.

• Like 2

If using the income method does one have to show min 40k per month regularly for the last 12 months or is 2 months sufficient when applying for the NON-O marriage visa within the country for the first time. Coming from the NON-O ME and currently on 60-days extension. - Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhonKaen2014 said:

If using the income method does one have to show min 40k per month regularly for the last 12 months or is 2 months sufficient when applying for the NON-O marriage visa within the country for the first time. Coming from the NON-O ME and currently on 60-days extension. - Thanks in advance.

The amendment to the immigration order has example that shows 2 months of transfers. But most offices will insist on 12 months of transfers if you have been on a multiple entry non-o visa.

You could check with you local office about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 10:28 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you have not applied one yet you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit you wife to get more time to have the money in the bank.

You could apply for a work permit but you have to be working for a registered company to apply for it.

Hello ubonjoe,

what is the requirement to get this 2 month extension? Just the marriage certificate is enough?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

marriage certificate and your Wife.

Maybe a couple of extra things depending on where you apply.

thank you so much!! I would apply in Bangkok. My visa will expire at the end of October. Is this something that takes a one day trip to the immigration like a simple visa extension?

The 400k has the same rules as a retirement visa? 2 months before renewal and 3 months after? I would hate to keep money locked in a bank earning peanuts.

Edited by 3421abc

8 hours ago, 3421abc said:

thank you so much!! I would apply in Bangkok. My visa will expire at the end of October. Is this something that takes a one day trip to the immigration like a simple visa extension?

The 400k has the same rules as a retirement visa? 2 months before renewal and 3 months after? I would hate to keep money locked in a bank earning peanuts.

You will need your marriage certificate and a copy of it. Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

It should not take more than a few hours to the extension.

The 400k baht only need to be in the bank for 2 months before you apply and then for about 30 days during the under consideration period. After that you can do what you want to with until you top up your account for next extension,

• Like 1

I don't think you need money for the 60-days to visit your wife but as UbonJoe said, getting that will give you the 2 months needed to apply for the regular NON-O Married extension. Put the money in your name only and do it now, apply for the visit in 2 weeks then go back in 6 more weeks and apply for the regular married extension.

• Like 1