Where is the most comfortable place for westerners to live in Thailand?

Promula

This is of course a very subjective question. 

For me, coming from the west and having previously lived in Malaysia for several years, I want somewhere that:

- has fresh air year-round

- has good infrastructure and plenty for a foreigner to do

- has good airport links

- Is near the sea, as beaches and islands are the best thing about the tropics

- Has mountains and forests rather than endless flat rice paddies

I've chosen Phuket and I can't think of anywhere else that suits my needs. Anyone who thinks somewhere in Thailand would better suit my needs, please say so, or alternatively give your personal preferences.

• Haha 1

Phuket fits your preferences. If you’d like a less mass touristy feel then Samui will fit. You could go even smaller, but then you’d have to compromise on access and things to do.

I prefer Samui over Phuket, mainly because I don’t like mass tourism and high rise, and the rainy season is only 1-1.5 months. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Phuket fits your preferences. If you’d like a less mass touristy feel then Samui will fit. You could go even smaller, but then you’d have to compromise on access and things to do.

I prefer Samui over Phuket, mainly because I don’t like mass tourism and high rise, and the rainy season is only 1-1.5 months. 

That's interesting, thanks. the reasons I discounted Samui for now are:

- It's a fairly remote island, hence a bit of a chore to leave and I don't think it has any international flights when one fancies a long weekend in a different regional country

- I don't think Samui has a major conurbation with a large hospital or any non-touristy nightlife. I like to mingle with locals rather than tourists and Samui seems to be tourism and nothing else. I believe it has a Central mall though, which is good. 

- I don't think it has any history. Phuket has quite a bit of Malacca Straits history and lots of lovely colonial buildings

- I don't know if Samui has any decent condo buildings with an infinity pool, gym etc. 

Apart from that, Samui was second on my list. 

Edited by Promula
  • Like 1

Pattaya on the left side of the main Hwy where you'll find green open spaces, hills and mountains cheap houses and good roads only 10 km to Pattaya central should you feel like mingling with the risque side and nightlife of the resort... 

• Like 2

It depends on what one likes. I'm not a beach person, have to stay out of the sun anyway. My condo has a swimming pool, with beaches it's a tossup how much sewage is lurking.

I quite like where I am, Chiang Rai. More laidback than Chiang Mai. The only downside is the lousy air for two months, as the locals go through their yearly insane ritual of damaging their own lungs. Two air purifiers in my condo going flat chat then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Promula said:

Krabi town or Ao Nang? I've been to neither yet. They're on my long weekend away list. 

I lived for many years in both north Phuket and Ao Nang.  The problem that I found with Ao Nang was a much higher humidity level than Phuket.  Rain clouds from the Andaman Sea passed easily over Phuket (no high hills), but were then stopped by the high hills behind Krabi.  Phuket had a much nicer climate and cooling sea breezes, plus a very low AQI level (occasionally disturbed by burning in Indonesia...).

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Nah Trang Vietnam...1st class beaches, mountains in background, and no dirty Thais!

Thailand has not annexed Vietnam... but, you got your shot in at Thais... this time they are dirty? Go take a walk around one of your local swap meets and lets us know how it is there... I find even poor Thai much cleaner than your swap meet crowd.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are going to live in Phuket I would say Rawai/ Nai Harn in the south of the island we are surrounded by the ocean from Rawai beach you can get to many islands a good few farang live in this area so we have a few bars and some very good restaurants on a Sunday Rawai is very popular with Thais along the beach front and the seafood market.

As an alternative I would say Phuket Town if we go out for the evening thats where me and the midget go very good restaurants and trendy wine bars it's like a completely different place to the beach areas mostly Thai people not many tourist.

One of our favourite places to eat "Raya" it's in an old Sino Portuguese house well worth a visit followed by the Pint Factory 

• Like 1

For me, it would be Ko Lanta, or a similar island. A swim in the morning wakes you up and keeps you fit.

And what could be better than breakfast at a lovely beach?

But we all like different things, and some might be more comfortable in the north.

I'm not too fond of some of the foreign restaurants, but the seafood market is excellent.

There's a  Greek restaurant where the only good part was their Ouzo—nothing to do with superb Greek food there. 

But I won't write anything on Trip Advisor now. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

For me, it would be Ko Lanta, or a similar island. A swim in the morning wakes you up and keeps you fit.

And what could be better than breakfast at a lovely beach?

Isn't it basically like Phuket would have been 50 years ago? Fine if that's your thing, but I need some creature comforts like a mall and international hospital. 

22 minutes ago, Promula said:

I don't feel like I'm in a farang ghetto. I really don't want to live in an area that has more 300 baht Sunday roasts on display than 50 baht Pad Thai. 

I think in Phuket Town you would be safe after 25 years the last thing I want is a Sunday roast I still like my HP brown sauce 

26 minutes ago, Promula said:

Phuket Town for me although I strongly avoid the Malaysia-level beer prices in "Pint Factory".

Feels like a normal albeit posh small Thai city with some lovely old buildings. Thai prices, loads of condo buildings and fun nightlife, and I don't feel like I'm in a farang ghetto. I really don't want to live in an area that has more 300 baht Sunday roasts on display than 50 baht Pad Thai. 

Last night I eat food brought from P/T Moo Hong ive only seen it it P/T restaurants i think it is a south dish