BANGKOK
Promula

Where is the most comfortable place for westerners to live in Thailand?

This is of course a very subjective question. 

For me, coming from the west and having previously lived in Malaysia for several years, I want somewhere that:

- has fresh air year-round

- has good infrastructure and plenty for a foreigner to do

- has good airport links

- Is near the sea, as beaches and islands are the best thing about the tropics

- Has mountains and forests rather than endless flat rice paddies

I've chosen Phuket and I can't think of anywhere else that suits my needs. Anyone who thinks somewhere in Thailand would better suit my needs, please say so, or alternatively give your personal preferences.

• Haha 1

Phuket fits your preferences. If you’d like a less mass touristy feel then Samui will fit. You could go even smaller, but then you’d have to compromise on access and things to do.

I prefer Samui over Phuket, mainly because I don’t like mass tourism and high rise, and the rainy season is only 1-1.5 months. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Phuket fits your preferences. If you’d like a less mass touristy feel then Samui will fit. You could go even smaller, but then you’d have to compromise on access and things to do.

I prefer Samui over Phuket, mainly because I don’t like mass tourism and high rise, and the rainy season is only 1-1.5 months. 

That's interesting, thanks. the reasons I discounted Samui for now are:

- It's a fairly remote island, hence a bit of a chore to leave and I don't think it has any international flights when one fancies a long weekend in a different regional country

- I don't think Samui has a major conurbation with a large hospital or any non-touristy nightlife. I like to mingle with locals rather than tourists and Samui seems to be tourism and nothing else. I believe it has a Central mall though, which is good. 

- I don't think it has any history. Phuket has quite a bit of Malacca Straits history and lots of lovely colonial buildings

- I don't know if Samui has any decent condo buildings with an infinity pool, gym etc. 

Apart from that, Samui was second on my list. 

Edited by Promula
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, fdsa said:

take a look at Krabi.

Krabi town or Ao Nang? I've been to neither yet. They're on my long weekend away list. 

• Like 1

phuket and pattaya are the only two that comes to mind,

having that much white boys that is has caused companies to import

western food.

phuket has better beaches and pattaya is cheaper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pattaya on the left side of the main Hwy where you'll find green open spaces, hills and mountains cheap houses and good roads only 10 km to Pattaya central should you feel like mingling with the risque side and nightlife of the resort... 

• Like 2

It depends on what one likes. I'm not a beach person, have to stay out of the sun anyway. My condo has a swimming pool, with beaches it's a tossup how much sewage is lurking.

I quite like where I am, Chiang Rai. More laidback than Chiang Mai. The only downside is the lousy air for two months, as the locals go through their yearly insane ritual of damaging their own lungs. Two air purifiers in my condo going flat chat then.

• Like 1

Take a look at Khao Lak not to far away from Phuket airport it has the beaches and mountains behind you although it does get a bit quiet in low season

• Thanks 1