Thai ministries promote rubber as road safety material

webfact

Ministries promote rubber as road safety material

aefa53a6829cca3252adfaca624b9a57.jpg

BUENG KAN (NNT) - The Ministry of Transport and the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives have ordered the acceleration of campaigns promoting the use of natural rubber in the production of road safety equipment, aimed at increasing road safety while raising rubber prices.

The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul, along with the Minister of Transport Saksayam Chidchob, have launched a rubber road safety equipment campaign in Nakhon Phanom and Bueng Kan, where rubber sheets will be installed as an external layer on existing concrete barriers, as well as new rubber guide posts that can help absorb the impact from a crash, reducing damage.

This campaign will help farmers sell more natural rubber, with similar campaigns in other provinces successfully raising the prices of unprocessed natural rubber sheets, from 43 baht per kilogram to 61 baht, and cup lumps from 32 baht to 37.1 baht per kilogram. In the long run, the provincial cooperative offices will play their role in the promotion of rubber purchases in their areas.

The national rubber on the road campaign is funded by a 2.7 billion baht budget. In case the funding runs out in November this year, the Ministry of Transport and the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives will be requesting more money, of a similar amount, to ensure the continuity.

The Departments of Highways and Rural Roads are expected to use about 1 million tons of rubber in their projects from 2010 to 2022, including the installation of barriers and guide posts along 12,282 kilometers of road, generating 30.11 million baht of revenue for rubber farmers.

Future surveys will be made to assess the replacement of deteriorated concrete barrier covers and rubber guide posts, which will contribute to no less than 336,000 tons of rubber consumption each year.

nnt.jpg

I have comical images in my mind of 'wen' & 'sakoi' bouncing from post to post around the roads of Issan... 

On a serious note however, what's not to like about this? If proper tests are carried out, I'm sure rubber could help. 

Obviously a 150kph collision with a rubber post is going to be fatal but you can't prevent stupid. A slower collision though, would result in lesser injuries if cement was replaced by rubber, surely? 

More money for farmers too, I'm always up for that. 

The environmental impact too, natural rubber is better than cement. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Yeah, now rubber posts will save lives on the roads. Still no talking about real driver education, with both driving and theory lessons.

They're not rubber posts they're concrete post with rubber sheeting covering so not much more than a condom on a concrete <deleted> which will still kill any motor cyclist that hit them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

They're not rubber posts they're concrete post with rubber sheeting covering so not much more than a condom on a concrete <deleted> which will still kill any motor cyclist that hit them.

And you thought that was the important piece in my post? I was focusing on that it does not help for what they are trying to say, and the only thing that does is excellent, high quality driver education.

Just as an answer to your reply trying to tell that I am wrong. Never mind if it was only 100% rubber in the post. It would still kill people.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

rubber sheets will be installed as an external layer on existing concrete barriers, as well as new rubber guide posts that can help absorb the impact from a crash

So... can we soon expect crashing cars to bounce around our highways like in a pinball machine?

On a more serious note, how are these rubber-coated barriers and rubber guide posts going to help against inept driving skills, which is still the main reason for our appalling traffic death toll?

Will we never tire of these rubba johnnies who seam able to bounce back despite inflation.Of course verything works better close to a "hub".

While some like a retread others prefer retirement.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
bounceability

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Not at all I fully perceived the importance of you're point about driver education but the article was about these rubber coated concrete post and their ability to save lives and I fully agree that as you suggested if the posts were made of rubber like the plastic guide posts used in Australia then that would undoubtedly save lives but these morons think that putting a condom on a concrete post will help.If the posts were slim and flexible like the plastic ones in Oz then they would be much safer they don't have to be 4x4 inch solid rubber posts as they are guide posts and are called road furniture and in a lot of countries have engineered specifications as to their designs and layouts.In Oz they put reflective stickers so they are visible at night.I'm not posting to say you are wrong but to add to your vast expanse of knowledge.Chill bro we aren't all out to get you.

Out to get me????!!! Uuuuhgaa! Please don´t blame me for beeing paraniod. :cheesy:

However, you know in Thailand they do not see this as something that would be road furniture and have a flexible function. Here they strongly believe they will stop people quickly, save lives and at the same time make the ones that out of sheer luck will survive a better driver. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

One problem is rubber does not like ultraviolet rays, it deteriorates in many ways and looses many of it's elasticity properties, becomes brittle and can crumble.

My exact thoughts...  its not even UV, its the humidity too, perhaps in combination with airborne pollutants. 

The Rubber in my shoes and various pieces of equipment degrades over time, especially when stored outside (and out of the sun).

Thus any ‘road safety item’ which is going to be exposed to the environment for years is going to degrade. 

The issue with this is that maintenance and replacement without doubt is a complete non-starter for any of these ’so called’ pieced of safety equipment. 

If the ‘rubber lobby’ wanted to encourage more sales using safety as a perspective, do so by encouraging the replacement of Tires on Cars. Too many vehicles travelling around on bald, split and damaged tyres. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

WHAT! You do know we are in Thailand, right? Here the companies that uses the word engineer in reality offer air condition installations. 

I know I know but they are making some progress even if it's at a snails pace and I can see some improvements in their constructions of various projects like roads and since I had a lot to do with GPS machine control on earthmoving gear and I feel like going in and saying hey look what everybody else in the world is doing  as far as I can see they eyeball everything although I did notice some survey pegs on the big four lane widening they doing nearby.We in survey call them (engineers) ginger beers who's main use is to count nuts and bolts but there are some clever ones. 

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

As condoms are always advertised as stopping the spread of diseases, maybe promoting their use instead of face masks may help to stop Covid.........................and help the rubber industry at the same time...................

NOT WORTH MENTIONING!: 25 REAL USES FOR A CONDOM, OTHER THAN SEX.

<deleted>!