U.S. CDC director says 'We're nowhere near the end' of pandemic: NBC

webfact

1 hour ago, spacex said:

Wasn't the whole idea initially to flatten the curve?  Somehow it has gotten to eliminating the virus which will never happen, vaccine or no vaccine.  Australia must be loving the idea of eliminating the virus and being locked down for months at a time. 

Not quite.

I think there was a realistic hope in the earlier days of this that the virus might eventually be eliminated through aggressive global mitigation and an eventual vaccine.

But at this point as mitigation has not worked so well globally (Thailand is an exception) the wide consensus of experts now is that the best hope with a vaccine is a high level of control short of global elimination.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

The CDC has lost a lot of credibility world wide, may never be the same again..

CDC’s credibility is eroded by internal blunders and external attacks as coronavirus vaccine campaigns loom

For decades, the agency stood at the forefront of fighting disease outbreaks. This time, it’s dealing with a crisis of its own.

The agency’s response to the worst public health crisis in a century — the coronavirus pandemic — has been marked by technical blunders and botched messaging. The agency has endured false accusations and interference by Trump administration political appointees. Worst of all, the CDC has experienced a loss of institutional credibility at a time when the nation desperately needs to know whom to trust.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/09/28/cdc-under-attack/

• Like 1

A specific concern about the US that I have is that an eventual vaccine won't be as effective as it could be.

Even if Biden wins

Because 

Intensively polarized politics about anything related to the virus

Conspiracy theories spreading much more than the virus

An established anti vaccine contingent aggravated by the legitimate concerns that the eventual vaccine would have been rushed 

American culture of expecting instant results. Even though a vaccine would require large participation and many months to make a difference in the population I predict that soon after it is released Americans will mostly abandon mitigation measures such as masks. 

• Like 1

Herd immunity is not going to be achieved with Covid-19.  First, we have no idea how long immunity lasts once you get the infection and recover.  Most evidence is that it is limited to relatively short period of times.   If the immunity wears off, then reinfection makes the herd constantly not immune.   

Second, every child born is a new member of the herd who has no immunity.   This means the virus has a nice place to seed and host itself.   

No disease has been eliminated with herd immunity that did not include a vaccine.  Even then, we have only managed to eliminate two diseases, smallpox and rinderpest.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Credo said:

Herd immunity is not going to be achieved with Covid-19.  First, we have no idea how long immunity lasts once you get the infection and recover.  Most evidence is that it is limited to relatively short period of times.   If the immunity wears off, then reinfection makes the herd constantly not immune.   

Second, every child born is a new member of the herd who has no immunity.   This means the virus has a nice place to seed and host itself.   

No disease has been eliminated with herd immunity that did not include a vaccine.  Even then, we have only managed to eliminate two diseases, smallpox and rinderpest.  

We never developed herd immunity against the "normal" flu.

Every year again virologists have to guess what mixture to put in flu vaccins.

Covid is here to stay.....

A clear explanation:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200902/how-effective-is-the-flu-vaccine

That's the flu. This isn't a flu. Assuming vaccines are coming it isn't known yet whether this will eventually be like the flu vaccine where there is a different vaccine for each year's seasonal flu or not. No need at this point to make any assumptions either way. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

That's the flu. This isn't a flu. Assuming vaccines are coming it isn't known yet whether this will eventually be like the flu vaccine where there is a different vaccine for each year's seasonal flu or not. No need at this point to make any assumptions either way. 

True, it isn't a flue, but the virus is related.

True, we can not assume anything at this point, too many unanswered questions.

But what are the chances that covid will just disappear thanks to a not yet existing vaccine?

What % of the population will accept to be vaccinated? More than with the flue vaccine?

The most realistic prediction I think is that we will have to live with flu AND covid, and let's be optimistic and hope that both will be brought under control.

18 hours ago, Damual Travesty said:

This is simply not true.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41577-020-00451-5

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/media-resources/science-in-5/episode-1

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/viruses-dont-just-go-away-the-toll-of-reaching-herd-immunity-without-a-covid-19-vaccine

Please read these articles carefully. Heard immunity, even with a vaccine is what the goal would be. I have no time for people like you who come here and post a blanket statement like that as if you are a Doctor who specializes in the field. There is DEBATE DEBATE DEBATE around this subject not by politicians or those with an axe to grind on the right or left but my medical and science professionals. Much debate. People who come here and post words like yours however are trying to grind an political axe.

I am not sure what you think the future is going to be, If no immunity is ever going to be possible then what future do you envision? A lock-down that never ends? The virus goes away ? No such virus with all the possible mutations never returns? I could go on, but as has been said, everything is a matter of trade-offs, and society is suffering considerably from further lock-down, and I think we have not even seen the worst of the economic fallout. That translates to very damaged human beings resulting from over zealous attempts at achieving zero.

Have you noticed there are countries that have been successful in halting the virus?  Those countries are open ????

Look it up.  The simplest way is to wear a mask and keep your hands clean until there is a vaccine-at least in developed countries.

it’s not complicated ????

• Like 1

I read of the people who think that herd immunity is the way to go with this corona virus.  The USA has lost over 200 thousand, so far, with herd immunity it will be over 1 or 2 million, is this what some posters want?  
I sure do not and I only have a few relatives that live in the USA. I also think that Trump trying to get a convenient vaccine before the November election is a false hope as well.   The USA will be toxic for a few years if they do not get the virus under control, and with their present attitude and high numbers they are not getting the numbers down, look at NYs new recent spike in numbers alone..

Geezer

8 hours ago, Redline said:

Have you noticed there are countries that have been successful in halting the virus?  Those countries are open ????

Look it up.  The simplest way is to wear a mask and keep your hands clean until there is a vaccine-at least in developed countries.

it’s not complicated ????

Which countries? Please name a few.

7 hours ago, Redline said:

I'm not here to do research for you~subscribe to a coronavirus newsletter~there are many~they send you updates daily.  

7 hours ago, Redline said:

I'm not here to do research for you~subscribe to a coronavirus newsletter~there are many~they send you updates daily.