Transferring from a parent extension

Currently on a 12 month child extension of an O/A visa. My son lives with me full time and has done for 4 years. Lately his mother sniffing around and whatever her intentions are they would be self interest. My question is, by chance she came and took him (over my dead body), and I was say 9 months into my parent extension with renewal coming up. How would I get on at my next extension? I am retirement age and was on a retirement visa before but now I do not keep 800k in the bank permanently. So for example the worst happens and I am 3 months away from extending my parent visa for another year, but now no longer qualify. I wont qualify for a retirement visa as I wont have had the funds in the bank for the required 12 months.

In this case could I simply start again? Possibly get a new O visa instead of an O/A to avoid insurance (preferably without leaving the country)?  If I applied for a new O visa based on retirement do you just need the funds in the bank when applying or is there a time period you need to hold funds in the bank?

Very unlikely this would happen but always in the back of my mind as I have a substantial lot of stuff here. Even 3 months wouldn't be enough time for me to sell up and be ready to leave. I guess before this could be extended with border runs etc but not possible now. Must be a lot of people here in difficult circumstances.

How would I handle this should I end up in this position

8 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I wont qualify for a retirement visa as I wont have had the funds in the bank for the required 12 months.

As you would be changing the reason for the Extension I expect 800,000 seasoned for 2 months would be good. Although beware you do need to have the medical insurance if your Permission is indeed based on an O-A Visa Entry.

Not sure how you would get the 'O' Visa without leaving the country, an agent would maybe help. If borders are open and you can come back in on an Exempt and convert it, for retirement you would have to show 800k from overseas.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

As you have changed the reason for the Extension I expect 800,000 seasoned for 2 months would be good. Although beware you do need to have medical insurance if your Permission is indeed based on an O-A Visa Entry.

Yeah I did mention I was aware of medical insurance and probably would be a deal breaker for me so wouldn't be extending O/A. Be surprised in the future if they don't apply med insurance to all visas but then again hopefully with the loss of tourists now they will be trying to make things easier...But hey, we are in opposite world so anything could happen and it wont be logical or reasonable.

So I would be looking at getting an O visa if possible and then extending that on retirement. How would that play out? Do I need to leave the country?

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories within the country. 

So given current circumstances ie impossible to leave the country and return, how could I buy myself approx 12 months to sort my affairs out? 

How much is required medial insurance approximately for a 57 yo?

27 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

How much is required medial insurance approximately for a 57 yo?

Hi in your original message you wrote > Currently on a 12 month child extension of an O/A visa.

So if you apply again for the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for that reason < support of Thai child > the Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance is NOT applicable for you.

That mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement is ONLY required when applying for the 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.

When applying for any other reason it is not required.

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement is ONLY required when applying for the 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.

When applying for any other reason it is not required.

If he applies for a extension based upon retirement he would still need insurance since his original entry was from a Non-OA visa. The only way to rid of the OA part is to leave and re-enter the country with a non-o visa.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If he applies for a extension based upon retirement he would still need insurance since his original entry was from a Non-OA visa. The only way to rid of the OA part is to leave and re-enter the country with a non-o visa.

That is indeed correct.

But there have been several reports of those applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on their original Non Imm O-A Visa that were NOT required to meet the IO-approved health-insurance requirement when applying for a different reason than RETIREMENT.

OP wrote > Currently on a 12 month child extension of an O/A visa.

So if he applies again for the 1-year extension of stay based on his original Non Imm O-A Visa for that reason < support of Thai child > the Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance will NOT be applicable for him.

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah I did mention I was aware of medical insurance and probably would be a deal breaker for me so wouldn't be extending O/A. Be surprised in the future if they don't apply med insurance to all visas but then again hopefully with the loss of tourists now they will be trying to make things easier...But hey, we are in opposite world so anything could happen and it wont be logical or reasonable.

So I would be looking at getting an O visa if possible and then extending that on retirement. How would that play out? Do I need to leave the country?

You can use an agent to get rid of the requirement for the mandatory health insurance when extending your stay based on an initial O-A Visa. A friend of mine did it earlier this year. He met the financial requirements, but didn't want to pay for a Thai health insurance. He paid the agent 7k. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You can use an agent to get rid of the requirement for the mandatory health insurance when extending your stay based on an initial O-A Visa. A friend of mine did it earlier this year. He met the financial requirements, but didn't want to pay for a Thai health insurance. He paid the agent 7k. 

Depending on his age, your friend might have been better of actually subscribing to the mandatory Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance.  The IO-approved LMG Insurance Plan 1 (with 200K deductible) policy sells at an annual premium of 6.000 to 11.400 THB in the age bracket of 51 till 75 years of age.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

That is indeed correct.

But there have been several reports of those applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on their original Non Imm O-A Visa that were NOT required to meet the IO-approved health-insurance requirement when applying for a different reason than RETIREMENT.

OP wrote > Currently on a 12 month child extension of an O/A visa.

So if he applies again for the 1-year extension of stay based on his original Non Imm O-A Visa for that reason < support of Thai child > the Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance will NOT be applicable for him.

I understand those points already if you read my opening post. I have a parent visa now and no need for insurance. If I extend based on retirement I will need medical insurance and 800k in the bank year round etc etc, why I would rather avoid it

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

For 7000 baht looks like he would of been better off just getting the medical insurance unless he was over 75. Has anyone tested out LMG yet? Are they paying out benefits and doing the right thing?

When things or if things ever return to normal, re leaving and re entering the country. I believe there is a 12 month ME parental visa available. 12 month visa but need to leave the country and return every 3 or 4 months. How does this work?

Can u make the initial application in Thailand or do you have to leave the country?

I believe you still need the 400k in the bank ....is this only on the day you initially apply or every time you re enter the country?

I have a legitimacy letter but I believe you only need show the child's birth certificate with your name on it. Do they actually check up if the child is living with you full time? Is there any thing required to be signed by the mother?

Is there medical insurance required for this currently? I am guessing soon maybe medical insurance required for all expat visas

24 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

When things or if things ever return to normal, re leaving and re entering the country. I believe there is a 12 month ME parental visa available. 12 month visa but need to leave the country and return every 3 or 4 months.

That is a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year issued by a embassy or consulate. You have to leave every 90 days to get a new entry.

Penang was the only nearby location that was issuing them and they wanted to see 400k baht in a bank.

No insurance is needed.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year issued by a embassy or consulate. You have to leave every 90 days to get a new entry.

Penang was the only nearby location that was issuing them and they wanted to see 400k baht in a bank.

No insurance is needed.

Oh? I must of got my wires crossed? I haven't looked into it for a couple of years but I thought you could get a parental 12 month ME from Savankhet....but had to show 400k in the bank.

The benefit of getting one from Penang was you didn't need to show money in the bank. I'm sure I even had an email reply from Savanakhet Thai immigration confirming it. Did it change or my memory is failing?

23 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I must of got my wires crossed?

You did get them mixed up.

Savannakhet has not done them based upon being the parent of a Thai for some time now. When they did them they wanted your family to be with you tc prove you were living together as a family (de facto marriage). No financial proof was needed.

Penang had been doing them before the pandemic  but wanted the 400k baht.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You did get them mixed up.

Savannakhet has not done them based upon being the parent of a Thai for some time now. When they did them they wanted your family to be with you tc prove you were living together as a family (de facto marriage). No financial proof was needed.

Penang had been doing them before the pandemic  but wanted the 400k baht.

Oh that's a bummer. I do remember now I had an email from them somewhere saying my sons mother didn't need to come, they only wanted a signed Tabian baan or his BC signed or something from memory. I remember I got her to sign about 20 of them for me. So its not just a pandemic thing. They wont be ever doing them again? I thought it would have only been 2 years ago when I discussed it with Sav, Does that sound right? Is a shame because that was always my back up plan.

What was their reason for Sav stopping the parent visa?...or no reason just up to them ????

For me going to Savanakhet or going to Penang two very different things. 

If I did get that Visa in Penang do I get the initial visa here or it is initially done in Malaysia? 

Do Penang say mother of the child must be present?

There you go Joe, from Feb 2019 last year. There were a few more emails said mother doesn't need to be present. And copy of Tabien baan with original signature and date...I was shocked they replied actually. I can't get my local IO to answer the phone. They were very helpful actually. So its definitely changed eh?

From: Royal Thai Consulate-General SAVANNAKHET <[email protected]>

Date: 6/2/19 3:04 pm (GMT+07:00)

To: [email protected]

Subject: NON O VISA

Dear Sir,

as you ask about document for apply NON O single entry stay with son you must have

1. copy and original birth certificate
  2. copy Tabien Bann child's mother and son by signature of her
  3. ID child's mother by signature of her

thanks

Oh hang on, it says single entry. Are they still available? I am guessing 3 months. Can you renew them indefinitely no problems?

Edited by Kenny202

17 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Oh hang on, it says single entry. Are they still available? I am guessing 3 months. Can you renew them indefinitely no problems?

They were issuing them back to back before but most people were getting a 60 day extension for each 90 day entry so the only had to get a new visa every 5 months.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They were issuing them back to back before but most people were getting a 60 day extension for each 90 day entry so the only had to get a new visa every 5 months.

So still available before covid and presumably still available after the country opens again?

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He is good to go to apply for his extension based upon being the parent of a Thai but he was asking what would happen if he had to go back to retirement if his ex wife snatched his child.

I am not so sure this would be the case, without knowing the OPs full circumstances it is not possible to know if he can get an EOS based on being a parent of a Thai, I do know that when I had to do this a couple of years back, Immigration (Jomtien) required to see the K.R.6 proving I had custody of my children after the divorce, without this the EOS would not have been approved, based on the OPs fears, he may not have legal custody.

Obviously different immigration areas have different attitudes.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

I am not so sure this would be the case, without knowing the OPs full circumstances it is not possible to know if he can get an EOS based on being a parent of a Thai, I do know that when I had to do this a couple of years back, Immigration (Jomtien) required to see the K.R.6 proving I had custody of my children after the divorce, without this the EOS would not have been approved, based on the OPs fears, he may not have legal custody.

Obviously different immigration areas have different attitudes.

He is already on an extension based upon being the parent of a Thai. His current extension is getting close to expiring and he is concerned about his ex wife taking his child away from him due to his child needs to be with him when he appies.