bagged ready mixed concrete

bodga

anyone know if its  available in Thailand?

Want  to  build  a kitchen in a condo, block  sides and concrete  top but dont  want to have to lug bags of sand  cement and stone up in a lift, size about 6  foot  long on the main length 4  foot along the other side  L  shaped in the corner of  a room........hoping the floor  will take that kind  of weight ( it is in a corner so the strongest point) or maybe use  aac  blocks, ether way BAGGED pre  mixed  concrete ie  just add water?

This  will be for the top onto which Ill put some granite etc like  this 

IMAG1481.jpg

41 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Thai Watsadu have large bags of sand-cement dry mix. Don’t remember the cost though...

yeah  still have to add stone, but  ill  go  have a look, I  know they do ready  mix  mortar  now, i also know its very soft when dry, need probably 10  bags to do the counter  top and a bit  of steel.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I haven't seen the redi-mix. I buy bags of sand, rock and cement. Basically the same.

dont want to  lug  it up and mix it in a condo. Dont  mind  lugging  up bags  premixed then adding water and mixing  in the room but dont want the stuff  everywhere.

anyone any thoughts on the weight of  concrete ie  cinder  blocks on the floor, not sure what loads they can take here, as mentioned its  in the corner so weight is  not  in the middle  of any span. Guess it  will be about  30  blocks total (4 high) + concrete and granite  on top.

Edited by bodga

1 hour ago, bodga said:

anyone any thoughts on the weight of  concrete ie  cinder  blocks on the floor, not sure what loads they can take here,

The apartment where I live  I believe they used  precast  prestressed reinforced concrete planks for the floors..I've had a 18x18x36 inch fish tank ( 190 litres = 190 KG)  sitting on it for years with no (obvious) problems    so pretty sure your counter top which is also tied into the wall (should tied into the wall)

will be fine.   However I take no responsibility for what may happen if your condo is  made of cardboard,sawdust and plastic bags   as  was shockingly revealed some time ago in the news and here on the forum somewhere ????

2 hours ago, bodga said:

dont want to  lug  it up and mix it in a condo. Dont  mind  lugging  up bags  premixed then adding water and mixing  in the room but dont want the stuff  everywhere.

It's the same either you lug up sacks of cement, rock and sand or you lug up the redi-mix, same same.

2 hours ago, bodga said:

anyone any thoughts on the weight of  concrete ie  cinder  blocks on the floor, not sure what loads they can take here, as mentioned its  in the corner so weight is  not  in the middle  of any span. Guess it  will be about  30  blocks total (4 high) + concrete and granite  on top.

Probably 750 kg in all?

That is how many people?Lets say ten,nothing to worry about. imagine having ten people in the middle of the room,your floor should not cave in.

You should tie it into the wall as well to make sure it does not create cracks later on.

16 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

For a different approach, QCon do ready made panels to construct units for kitchens and bathrooms.

Just order then 'stick' them together, less mess and less time. Also, probably, less weight if that is worrying you.

https://qcon.co.th/products/qcon-counter

This is probably a better way to deal with this. Particularly in a Condo. 

We recently had kitchen built (extension). The contractors were trying to build the same type of concrete structure. They got as far as laying the countertop before we realised it was going to be somewhat of an eye-saw. 

We ended up getting them to knock down the counter and finish off the main structure.

We then got IKEA to fit a kitchen who did an exceptional job. 

Thus: Another option is to get a company (Index, IKEA, Boonthaworn etc) to install a fitted kitchen rather than have a concrete kitchen built.

16 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's the same either you lug up sacks of cement, rock and sand or you lug up the redi-mix, same same.

its  easier and doesnt require  mixing in the  ready mix  bags, the ready  mix  bags are usually paper and  flat easier to  carry whereas the sand stone  arent and cement bags also tend  to be 50kg whereas  the premix mortar ive seen are  less

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is probably a better way to deal with this. Particularly in a Condo. 

We recently had kitchen built (extension). The contractors were trying to build the same type of concrete structure. They got as far as laying the countertop before we realised it was going to be somewhat of an eye-saw. 

We ended up getting them to knock down the counter and finish off the main structure.

We then got IKEA to fit a kitchen who did an exceptional job. 

Thus: Another option is to get a company (Index, IKEA, Boonthaworn etc) to install a fitted kitchen rather than have a concrete kitchen built.

This is  for tenants they tend  to NOT be careful , they always get worktops  sopping wet, any wood  cabinets especially that <deleted> chipboard  just  collapse, one water leak and they are toast, concrete, tiles and block with granite  top is virtually indestructible, also the doors   are already in a premade  frame and I can remove them and replace very easily with my design if they do  get damaged. I can also later change the design to have a different  look as  things age.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

For a different approach, QCon do ready made panels to construct units for kitchens and bathrooms.

Just order then 'stick' them together, less mess and less time. Also, probably, less weight if that is worrying you.

https://qcon.co.th/products/qcon-counter

q  con was  on my  list  to use but this is a great idea Thanks am  going to use it makes it so  much easier especially in a condo

Edited by bodga

Our counters have no stone in the mix. Used a rebar frame and poured the cement over and around it. If a granite worktop is going on top I wouldn't worry about stone in the mix. Up to you. You can also buy ready mixed cement in small 1 or 2 kilo bags but more difficult to find.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trucking said:

Our counters have no stone in the mix. Used a rebar frame and poured the cement over and around it. If a granite worktop is going on top I wouldn't worry about stone in the mix. Up to you. You can also buy ready mixed cement in small 1 or 2 kilo bags but more difficult to find.

You didn’t use cement, as that is only 1 part of the mix.

you used a cement, water, sand mortar 

concrete is a cement, water, sand, rock mix.

so the mixed bags are either mortar or concrete 

2 hours ago, sometime said:

Forgot to add, no sand cement used been built about 5 years

P1100585.jpg

did  you use the water based  no  more  nails or the much stronger solvent  based  no  more  nails?

Edited by bodga

13 hours ago, sometime said:

I built a unit light weight blocks fixed with no nails adhsive  & the top I used cement board 2 layers of 1' thick.

And then finaly tiled

Did you build the unit before the floor was tiled, or are the blocks sitting on top of the floor tiles? Also, where did you get the 1' cement board?

On 10/1/2020 at 7:41 AM, sometime said:

As far as I can remember just a coat of sealer before the tiles & I used tile adhesive

great thanks  save even more  time if  i get everything reasonably  level, ill use some pva but the top  ill use granite etc

• 3 weeks later...

I went with the aac  blocks, although the top pieces weigh 40kilo and are  a bit tricky to  lift by yourself (1.5m) so I did the sides one day le t the glue  dry and the tops  the next to avoid  knocking and disturbing the  sides.

What they dont tell you is you can use  floor pieces  as  side  pieces if you want to increase the height from their set height of 750mm to 830mm and that you  dont have to use their  floor  pieces  at  all on the floor  if  your  floor  is already reasonably  ok, also if you dont have  a circular saw they are easily  cut with a 7 inch grinder with  just a metal  wheel which cuts  easily thru the aac  and steel, Im going to  tile straight onto the blocks as Ive got them perfectly level and square and Ill pva  them first for a  good  adhesion

20201019_143859_resized.jpg

20201019_143948_resized.jpg

Edited by bodga