BANGKOK
simon43

Going to fall off! Disturbing sensation on motorbike

I should comment that I've been riding motorcycles since 16 years old, including off-road bikes and Honda Goldwings.

Several months ago, I bought a Kawasaki KLX140 for riding on the roads/hills here in north Laos.  The bike has knobbly, off-road tyres, and I ride accordingly on tarred roads with these tyres, and am used to the sensation that these tyres give when riding on a smooth road surface.

In the past month, I have begun to feel a strange sensation when I go round corners.  It feels as if I'm going to fall off the bike!  I am taking these corners slowly on the town roads, but it is as if the steering is sticking as I turn the handlebars.  Yet when I rest this with the bike parked in my yard, I cannot feel any stickiness in the movement of the front wheel.

The tyres are in very good condition, with correct air pressure.  I can feel no loose movement in the steering column.  The spokes of the wheel are not loose.  No cables are inhibiting free movement of the steering.  Yet there is still this strange and alarming stickiness that requires me to firmly grip the handlebars to steer through the problem and to get round the corner safely.

What could it be?

Indeed would be checking the motorist as well as the motor vehicle,  I say that as someone who has never been a MC rider but these days feels unsteady even riding on back of one and knowing I am having gradual loss of balance in even using a stepladder.  

Probably the bike but do be careful.

• Like 2

i have the same sensation on my Kawasaki Versys sometimes just going straight down the highway at speeds 80 plus kph. sort of a vertigo like feeling and i feel like i am going to fall off the bike. 

• Confused 1

Need more Chang

• Haha 2

Has there been a drastic change in the weather temperature

COVID blocked my ears earlier this year, for almost 2 months off and on.

27 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

In all seriousness could it be a problem related to the parts of your ears that sense balance and movement?

What? nothing between his ears?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

In all seriousness could it be a problem related to the parts of your ears that sense balance and movement?

Agreed. That would be my first 'port of call' as well. Have you had any problems such as catarrh lately @simon43? This can affect the workings of the middle and inner ear where balance sensing takes place.

If balance sensing is not functioning too well, when you lean into a bend there is a conflict in the brain between what the eye sees and what the balance sensing detects. This can cause vertigo.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe bearings of steering column, maybe a touch of vertigo 

Yes, really sounds like that but a thing that only show itself when doing a real turn with a bike that moves and the pressure that puts on the bearings.

Definitely nothing to fix yourself, if you don´t have the knowledge and experience. Take it to a service shop. 🙂 

And now I also take for granted, that Chang have nothing to do with it. 😉

Edited by Matzzon