BANGKOK
webfact

Caddie injured by Italian golfer in Chiang Mai claims she only got 5,000 baht compensation

Caddie injured by Italian golfer in Chiang Mai claims she only got 5,000 baht compensation

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Chiang Mai caddie who was seriously injured in the eye after she was hit by a golf ball has gone back to the Chiang Mai police. 

Phairin Kanthawong, 56, has not been able to work since January after she was hit in the left eye socket by a ball struck by Italian golfer Giacoma F. aged 67. 

She was standing 200 yards in front of the golfer when the ball struck her.

Initial reports suggested that the golfer had agreed to pay her 500,000 baht demands but this appears not to be the case at all. 

Phairin told Pol Lt-Col Susaran Sribuncharoenchai of the Mae Ping police on Monday that she has received only 5,000 baht from the Italian. 

In several previous attempts at a settlement the Italian had attempted to force the payment down to 20,000 baht. 

Phairin said through her brother that this is not enough at all. She would have earned 480 baht a day and has been unable to work since the end of January. 

In addition she had had to undergo surgery and still can't see properly over long distances and has such an intolerance to sunlight that she is forced to wear sunglasses all the time. 

The police said that they had done all they can in the case and recommended that the matter be handled by the district court back at the end of July. 

Now Phairin is preparing to go to the government's Damrongtham organization for assistance after claims that all contact with the Italian golfer had ceased. 

Thaivisa notes that Thai Rath said that the manager of the "well known" course had gone with the claimant to the police but made no mention of a salient point in the case raised by many golfers online: 

Was the course not insured for such eventualities?

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-29

seriously any Caddie should know you don't stand in front of the golfer.  Contributed to her own injuries

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

i wonder if she was on the same whole fairway he was playing or another?

Edited by GeorgeCross

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Should have paid nothing. He did not assault her and the club should have had insurance

The Club does not always have insurance in Thailand BUT all Golfers should have their own policies to cover this

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

500,000 promised , and she got 5000 THB, just a misunderstanding 🙄

I take it the Italian golfer is not here anymore ?

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

I feel sorry for her but may I ask why she was standing in front of the golfer ?

She was keeping her eye on the ball!!!

• Haha 1

480 Baht a day....those 300 Baht compulsory tips are not required then

• Like 1

PLUS there is a chance she could have discovered the cure for COVID if she had a good eye.

I say 100 million baht.  The Italian was doing something dangerous in a country that is not his, so the penalty must be impossibly high.  Back home, people know it's dangerous and only if he hit her on purpose.  Here, i think she could have made 10,000 a minute.   

• Haha 2