STV: Chinese will be first foreign tourists allowed in, then Scandinavians

webfact

16 hours ago, Chivas said:

Pure Gold. Perhaps someone ought to inform these Thai chiefs that the average stay of a Chinese national is 5 days less than the 2 week quarantine.

Thats good though. Keeps them off the streets . Enjoy their suitably social distanced stay then send them back home with a wooden elephant under each arm and a flower necklace.

26 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Chinese long term stay in Thailand, you made me laugh, thks 555...  yes, sure, when they run their on line scams

Your chinese familly and friends must love your forum activity.

11 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I have my Chinese family here with me and have Chinese acquaintances as well but these are minorities that live here, the post is talking about the ones traveling, similar to the ones coming here in the past that pee on the floor, spit on your shoes, loud, cut waiting lines, etc., have you see how they behave at the sea food buffet... quite sure your family and acquaintances may not act that way, nor does my family, but, unfortunately the majority of them do, thus giving bad reputation to the country, same applies to some westerners as well, Thais don't like many westerners because they also behave poorly, don't take it personally, just step back a couple steps and when the traveling Chinese are around see their actions/behavior

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, madmen said:

Who you think bought all the condos in BKK, they are seriously invested also, have massive numbers and are closest. 

Most of the ones you speak of are from covid ravaged countries. Don't take it personally 

Not a fan of China and their saturate the world policy, and there is something rotten in the State of Denmark with t he virus and then the love of opening up to China from Thailand. On the condo thing, I was just in BKK and there is literally construction in the landscape everywhere. Now I wonder who is attached to fill your pocket's wise with this. Looking at it the other way, the older to middle aged Chinese are a terrible tourist but at least their younger generation seems to be getting a bit better before the CV 19 was released got out.

• Haha 2

Best of luck with the Happy Dayz Are Here Again Hi-So Incarceration Tour Plan.

In the meantime I know a half a dozen guys who are older successful business owners/entrepreneurs in the US who have been coming here on month long vacations for years. They are in the income group that this Thai tourist scheme is targeting - i.e., "well heeled".  My friends laughed after hearing about this new Thai scheme. They obviously will not be coming this high season.  Instead it looks as though Mexico will be getting the money they bring with them during their month long vacation. 
Goodbye Thailand, hello Cabo

• Like 1

As well as being from a relatively CV19-free country, the Chinese are clearly a target for early entry into Thailand due to their purported burgeoning ownership of condos in Bangkok and elsewhere. However, the Chinese government is actively discouraging its citizens from travel abroad, and one wonders, after the initial few hundred, just how many of them will be prepared to put up with the onerous two week quarantines, both on entry to Thailand, and on return to China.

Edited by Pottinger
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

So every one these Chinese Tourists will have the following done before they depart?

1.  Covid 19 PCR Test 72 hours before departure

2. Covid 19 Health Insurance with a minimum coverage of $100,000

3. They have already booked and paid for their Quarantine Hotel

4. They have already booked and paid for their hotel/accommodations for the balance fo the remaining 90 days???

If the answer to all 4 are Yes then I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn at a low price.  

the first two items in your bridge list are not a problem.  covid tests are available at all chinese government hospitals for around $30.  travel insurance with the required covid19 cover can be bought for as little as $50/month.

booking and payment for items three and four will be checked by the embassy upon visa application.  easily done online individually, or by a package tour operator collectively.  unsure where the bridge comes in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourists will be housed at one of five hotels that have been approved as part of the Alternative Local State Quarantine plan.

There are 300+ rooms available in Chonburi, Phuket and Buriram. 

One more place is currently under consideration to house the tourists. 

Which is fine at this stage. But how much future planning has been put in place if these small number groups prove to be successful and they expand the numbers of people arriving?

How many Quarantine standards will be lowered/corners cut when more hotels are required to accommodate the tourists as numbers increase?

I am all for opening up the tourism sector, as long as it is done in a safe way. Call me a pessimist if you want but I can see this ending in tears when the shortcuts start happening. Whenever the government has the ear of TAT and believe their predictions reference numbers and potential revenue, and not following advice from their medical experts then the holes in the plans will widen.

IMO, they (government) need to evaluate what is happening in the rest of the world as the numbers if the infected continue to rise, and not just the source countries they have decided to chose for their experiments.

41 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I have my Chinese family here with me and have Chinese acquaintances as well but these are minorities that live here, the post is talking about the ones traveling, similar to the ones coming here in the past that pee on the floor, spit on your shoes, loud, cut waiting lines, etc., have you see how they behave at the sea food buffet... quite sure your family and acquaintances may not act that way, nor does my family, but, unfortunately the majority of them do, thus giving bad reputation to the country, same applies to some westerners as well, Thais don't like many westerners because they also behave poorly, don't take it personally, just step back a couple steps and when the traveling Chinese are around see their actions/behavior

With walking st shut the uneducated barn yard animals you speak of won't be coming to Bangkok phuket or Burium 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaichina said:

I lived in China 15 years, now I m in Bangkok and know some chinese living here including my wife, her parents and many friends of them on retirement, elite visa and non -B. It s not because you don t know them or don t talk to them that they are not here, same as western people.

While I can understand people cricizing chinese government or chinese tourists on a tour, I don t understand why so many people here are so much anti chinese. Most if the one I know are well educated and never bother anyone here.

Envy at Chinese/Asian economic success and a helping of plain ole racism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Assuming the Chinese have to adhere to the same immigration rules as farangs they will find it as hard to stay as farangs currently do. I doubt many will be staying on marriage extensions in Issan, or teaching English in Bkk.

Why is that...Immigration doesn't give visa extensions to Chinese or visa agents don't take their money?

• Like 1