Anutin: Forget "Phuket Model" - opening up the kingdom is "Thailand Model"

webfact

3 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

I think not everyone is as close to China and it's supply-chain of luxury Swiss watches, as Prayut and Prawit, and that it is China who  wants the Thai borders kept close.

The Hero-General and his merry band of henchmen can throw around new 'Tourism' plans all they like....but it's not their call. Any actual plan to open Thailand's borders will require pre-approval from China.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's deputy PM and Health Minister said before yesterday's CCSA meeting that opening up the country to foreign tourists should no longer be called the Phuket Model.

Now he has referred to it as the "Thailand Model".

If they haven't actually implemented it, it's just a concept, not a model at all.

"I might be wrong, but I think not everyone is as close to China and it's supply-chain of luxury Swiss watches, as Prayut and Prawit, and that it is China who  wants the Thai borders kept close."

But why would they (the Chinese government) care if the likes of you or I are in Thailand or not? It isn't like we are a pimple on their bottom let alone a thorn in their side...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, baboon said:

"I might be wrong, but I think not everyone is as close to China and it's supply-chain of luxury Swiss watches, as Prayut and Prawit, and that it is China who  wants the Thai borders kept close."

But why would they (the Chinese government) care if the likes of you or I are in Thailand or not? It isn't like we are a pimple on their bottom let alone a thorn in their side...

I mentioned that several times ago already in other threads. I see 4 political reasons why they keep the country closed:

1. It might be part of the Chinese road and belt initiative. The Chinese government expands its power in many countries right now, in Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Philippines, Pakistan and many more. They do it with huge loans for infrastructural projects, which the receiving country never will be able to pay back. This model is old and well known. Think about subs, highspeed trains, and now loans related to Covid. New now is, and the CCP descovered this quickly after the Coronavirus spread, if it was not even planned in advance, that ruining a countries economy means big investment opportunities in it's bankruptcy assets. Given how corrupt the politicians here are, it might be easy to convince them to do this. And, keeping out foreigners means ruining the economy. Many hotels will be owned by Chinese soon.

2. The government and the elite do want as few as possible foreign observers in the country while they change its political system into a more medieval one. This point is less related to China, though.

3. The government does not only want to please China by making the countries economy a bargain for them (point 1), but also they do not want to have Westerners in the country as observers of this. Also, if you follow the news from China, boosting xenophobia there is quite en-vogue today for the CCP. The Thai government simply follows.

4. They want as few as possible foreign observers in the country while they maybe will do a bloody crackdown on the student protests. They did not decide something like this yet, however.

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

quoted him as saying that the emergency decree - that has been extended to the end of October - was not a political tool but one that helped in curbing the spread of the virus

So he needs a state of emergency to control the virus, yet he sees no contradiction in allowing thousands of foreigners into the country. What is this idiot going to do if the tourists cause a fresh outbreak here, declare martial law? 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuket people should not be seen as "lab rats"

What an inconsiderate comment - such an arrogant and rude "concrete mixer"!!!

How about these instead (with respect):-

How to make your guinea pigs feel at home | Wood Green - The Animals Charity

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

8 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

There might be people in the elite who are quite tired of losing billions of business and revenue from the countries' isolation, ordered by Prayut and his Chinese friends. I might be wrong, but I think not everyone is as close to China and it's supply-chain of luxury Swiss watches, as Prayut and Prawit, and that it is China who  wants the Thai borders kept close.

And not to forget, the Thai elite can buy expensive watches themselves, they don't have to "borrow" them like some army guys. It is the generals who take the bribes, whereas it ususally is the rich elite which pays bribes to boost their businesses. When outsiders take over control of the generals, not all of the elite might be happy.

I see this announcement of Anutin carefully positive.

I wonder, and have done for a while, whether there is an intense power struggle going on at the very top. It will of course be kept very secret, It will be way above Anutin's pay grade, and even he may not be aware of the details. Big (very big) money, power and influence, all of which will be wielded absolutely ruthlessly. After all, the stakes are about as high as they can get - the total control of a country and it's economy.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

I wonder, and have done for a while, whether there is an intense power struggle going on at the very top. It will of course be kept very secret, It will be way above Anutin's pay grade, and even he may not be aware of the details. Big (very big) money, power and influence, all of which will be wielded absolutely ruthlessly. After all, the stakes are about as high as they can get - the total control of a country and it's economy.

Yes, surely has been is a struggle going on, and it is surely also way above Prayut and Prawit. Now, I predict, there is more a movement to unify the elite. Anutin is another story than Prayut. Prayuts and Prawits power is dwindling, and they have not much say anymore already. Anutin, Thamanat, the family who owns King Power and some more are closer to the top, and seem to have closer links.

One question now is, if these more powerful people are as China-oriented as the Prawit faction. I am not sure about it. But if they are not (yet), this can change quickly, of course. But again: It's the generals who are currupt and who take the watches. The other rich people in the elite are not corrupt in this sense. They can buy the watches themselves. Normally, they are the ones who pay bribes to boost their businesses. So, they are more the "givers" than the "takers". They might not be so happy that the Chinese bought the government. But who knows.

Currently there is a unification movement going on among the top-elite. Someone tries and orders to unify the different factions, as together they are stronger to keep the student protests and Move Forward at distance.

I mentioned in another thread already that the current turmoil in the Pheu Thai party likely is also related to these unification efforts. Think about that: Thaksin is a member of the elite, and he is still very popular among the people in the North. By inviting him to join the unifying elite, they are stronger together and more able to dry-out the protest movement.

Impossible? Not really, as the power struction changed already compared to 2014 or 2016. The hope might be that the masses of people from Isaan will continue to support Thaksin, who then will be welcomed back in the countries elite, and taken away from the street protests.

Prayut and Prawit who have been opposing Thaksin very strongly, probably will be told to resign and will be send home soon, and the government will be replaced by a "government of national unity". In fact, this "government of national unity" is very likely the top priority of the elite now.

But, such a (civil) governnment only will mean that at the end nothing will change. It's duty is to protect the status quo against the students and against Move Forward.

So finally there will be a win-win-lose situation. The elite will win, Thaksin will win and be happy because he can come home, and the people of Thailand will lose.

Let's see in the coming four weeks, if this prediction is correct.

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 2