Thailand's 'rule breaker' school uniforms challenge tradition

webfact

????I can see the Thai boys getting a real rise out of those designs if ever approved. In general the Thais now in public schools can barely afford what is required.

I wonder whether Windmill girls can make a few changes with these designs?

Edited by thailand49

7 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Keep the standard School uniform--- Its better for the poorer people in Essan etc. Can be brought at Tesco & is handed down from older sister or neighbor.

Unless the name astudent number can be restiched, they cant be passed on. I'd prefer those ar put onto badges so they can be reomoved for the next user. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Unless the name astudent number can be restiched, they cant be passed on. I'd prefer those ar put onto badges so they can be reomoved for the next user. 

Costs more to change name and number than buy new , all part of the game so no hand me downs

• Like 2

I think it's a great idea! Now, all we need is somebody who cares as much about the actual education these students should be getting to come along and overhaul the whole school system. Then, they'd have students who were not only smartly dressed but also actually knew something. Brilliant! 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thailand is a land of uniforms, they have them for every occasion, not only students I see teachers going in each day in a different colour, even TV newscasters are colour coded.

It's about indoctrination but underlying it's about business for the garment manufacturers... a cunning plan.

It's more about a very hierarchical society with rigid codes and face thing

where your acts and words have to vary a lot depending on who is your interlocutor

with the uniform, you know instantly the rank in the society

then you can act and speak adequatly with the person in the appropriate way

The uniforms are very popular in the lowest level of the Thai workers

it gives some prestige (Even a maid in an hotel is better than a farmer

in the Thai eyes) and they don't have to pay for the clothes (Plus they 

even don't have to wonder every single day what kind of clothes to wear

before to go at work)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Our school uniform was Donkey jacket, jeans and boots....

regards worgeordie

Jacket and jeans, You where lucky; when I was a lud we had 2 plastic bags and a old coconut sack and a pair of flip-flops between 6 of us.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JIMHILL said:

Jacket and jeans, You where lucky; when I was a lud we had 2 plastic bags and a old coconut sack and a pair of flip-flops between 6 of us.

I bet you also lived with your ma and pa and your 6 brothers and sisters in a cardboard box next to Tesco's

you lucky b*gger, we lived in a hole in the road....no roof ,toilet or anything.....but we was happy.

regards worgeordie

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Our school uniform was Donkey jacket, jeans and boots....

regards worgeordie

That reminds me of this.......

Paddy walks past a building site and sees a sign with LABOURERS WANTED on it so he go into the site office and says to the foreman oive come about the labourers job.
Foreman well Ive just got to give you a simple initiative test so can you give me a sentence with GREAT in it
After a short pause Paddy thinks about his donkey jacket that he always wears and says
well done you can have a start theres a shovel outside
That night Paddy sees his mate Murphy in the pub and tells him about his new job and all about the test and what to say.
SO nice and early monday morning Murphy is at the Foremans door asking about a job because he has taken a few more labourers on the test is a littel bit harder so he says to Murphy can you give me a sentence fascinate in it.
So Murphy recites and oiv got donkey oi tink its great.
The Foreman says NO a sentence with fascinate in it.
So Murphy again says oiv got donkey jacket oi tink its great.
NO NO NO! says the Foreman a sentence with fascinate in it.
SO after a weird pause Murphy says oiv got donkey JACKET oi tink its great tis got nine buttons but oi can only fasten eight.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I bet you also lived with your ma and pa and your 6 brothers and sisters in a cardboard box next to Tesco's

you lucky b*gger, we lived in a hole in the road....no roof ,toilet or anything.....but we was happy.

regards worgeordie

Huh, thats nowt, you were lucky...!

..when i was a lad all we ad was to ate coal for breakfast and a drink of mucky watter out of fish pond

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NightSky said:

..when i was a lad all we ad was to ate coal for breakfast and a drink of mucky watter out of fish pond

Absolutely frightful my dear fellow.

Do tell, is it still like that up in the North?

Never been there myself don't you know!

Toodle pip.

The uniforms do act as a leveller and restrict 'competition' with designer labels etc. The point being if you are rich or poor you are the same in school. I think at University the case for doing away with them is stronger but I see no harm in teaching kids that you are 'the same' no matter how much money other kids parents may have.

Some kids don't even have shoes to wear let alone have to be further humiliated when their friend turns up in the latest. Also puts huge pressure on parents. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 4:40 PM, hotchilli said:

Thailand is a land of uniforms, they have them for every occasion, not only students I see teachers going in each day in a different colour, even TV newscasters are colour coded.

It's about indoctrination but underlying it's about business for the garment manufacturers... a cunning plan.

I used to say that, Land of Uniforms and they need to be told what colour T-Shirt to wear

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2020 at 2:22 AM, NightSky said:

Luxury. 

When we was young we couldn't afford air. Had to live on the moon. Walk to school were terrible.  

On 9/29/2020 at 12:31 PM, Cod Face said:

Thankfully, none of them are school uniforms or are being considered as school uniforms, just the designer's PR, courtesy of Reuters.

You said it!! Reuters the e-pit-o-me of news. ????  The article ignores the reasoning behind school uniforms, and no it's not about "conformity".  It's about reducing the 'class' system (i.e. the rich kids wear designer clothes, flouting their wealth, and poor kids in their hand me down 'plain' clothes).

Real classy Reuters.

• Like 1