Puzzled scientists seek reasons behind Africa's low fatality rates from pandemic

webfact

23 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

H1N1 is a common Flu and killed an estimated 30-50 million people in 1918 which makes it considerably worse than Covid with 1 million so far.So I will tell you the common flu is on record way worse the covid!

And how often exactly does that “common flu” that kills 30-50 million people come around? On average once a century you say? So, not that common after all then! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oompie69 said:

Good points you made. 

However, there is no scientific information that supports the theory that the lockdown measures prevented more infections and deaths. It could quite easily have made it worse.

Having a group of individuals cooped up in an enclosed space for an extended time is more likely to cause group infection than allowing them to circulate in open spaces. With people being allowed to exit these spaces for food purchases etc., it only takes one to introduce the virus into the enclosed group in an enclosed space to start the group infection.  

Well, I see it this way, the less you’re out and about the less likely you’ll get infected and if you don’t get infected there’s one spreader less out there. Also, in my opinion it’s pretty easy to avoid getting infected, if you take measurements accordingly that is. Lots of people used masks and hand sanitizers, so they didn’t spread the virus as opposed to not taking any measures at all and roam about freely. 

On 9/29/2020 at 10:14 PM, Flying Saucage said:

Genetics might be another one, of course. Do you know, Asians and Caucasians have 3% genes of Neanderthalers, whereas Africans don't have. I heard that this is one reason why we are more vulnarable for diabetes.

Damn, you must be clearvoyant.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/30/health/neanderthal-genes-severe-coronavirus-reactions-wellness-scn/index.html

Genes inherited from Neanderthal ancestors may be involved in some cases of severe Covid-19 disease, researchers in Germany reported Wednesday.

EDIT: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2818-3

Look at the first comment. Sigh.

Edited by onthedarkside
Mod edit - troll comment removed. Poster - Had to edit multiple times .. somehow fumbled a quote
  • Like 2

Alot of people suffering severe reactions to Covid 19 are Vitamin D deficient. Interestingly Its not a Vitamin its a hormone.

There was also the talk of TB vaccine helping. This coupled with other varying factors could explain why it doesnt take hold in certain areas as well.

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

On 9/29/2020 at 10:14 PM, Flying Saucage said:

Genetics might be another one, of course. Do you know, Asians and Caucasians have 3% genes of Neanderthalers, whereas Africans don't have. I heard that this is one reason why we are more vulnarable for diabetes.

Damn, you must be clearvoyant.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/30/health/neanderthal-genes-severe-coronavirus-reactions-wellness-scn/index.html

Genes inherited from Neanderthal ancestors may be involved in some cases of severe Covid-19 disease, researchers in Germany reported Wednesday.

EDIT: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2818-3

Look at the first comment. Sigh.

Now I am quite a bit puzzled as well. I did not expect that I am such up to date with the very latest reseach with my ideas. And this is published in Nature, one of the two highest rated scientific journals!

Maybe this has to do with my own Neanderhaler genes, too.

Thanks for posting the link to Nature.

On 9/29/2020 at 10:15 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Because they're not as fat as people from, say, Europe and the states. Many who die are obese.

They're not as old, those who would normally die from COVID died years ago.

Experts say that some COVID-19 deaths in Africa probably are being missed. Testing rates in the continent of about 1.3 billion people are among the lowest in the world, and many deaths of all types go unrecorded.

Ummm, so not so much of a puzzle then. Lol.

More confused and incompetent journalism.

The real puzzle is if you put the actual reason in your article how can you possibly not come to the right conclusion?

On 9/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, jvs said:

I read some where today that Thai people maybe immune more or less because of mosquito

anti bodies.More specific dengue fever.

Could be?

As reasonable as anything anyone else has offered :thumbsup:

• Like 1