Filipino teacher at center of abuse allegations: He was on tourist visa and had no Work Permit

webfact

Filipino teacher at center of abuse allegations: He was on tourist visa and had no Work Permit

news_EFBDqOSsFd145921_533.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The Filipino English teacher at the center of allegations that he assaulted a kindergarten student at a top school in Nonthaburi was staying in Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa. 

He also had no work permit. 

The case prompted Nonthaburi immigration to go to Sarasas Witaed Ratchapreuk School in Pak Kret to check up on all 74 foreigners working there. The rest were found to be in Thailand legally.

Other media have suggested operations at Sarasas schools are being investigated by an education committee.

The case of "Teacher Marvin" came to light from CCTV after furious parents went to the school following another case of abuse from a Thai woman teacher. 

Daily News reported that Nonthaburi immigration and Chaiyapreuk police went to the school to find Marvin but he was not there nor was he at his home address in Muang District of Pathum Thani. 

Yesterday afternoon he surrendered to immigration.

Pol Lt-Col Thiitiwat  Richanukoon said he was on a 30 day tourist visa. Social services were talking to the child at the center of the abuse allegations.

Sanook reported that Marvin, 25, denied assaulting the child saying that he had taken him by the arm off to the toilet because he had a runny nose. 

It has been alleged after CCTV footage emerged that the child was pulled away by the arm and manhandled inappropriately.

Sanook said that he entered Thailand on January 26th on a tourist visa and used the general amnesty for tourists until September 26th.

His request to stay until October 26th was under consideration. 

He started work at Sarasas on July 16th without a work permit. The school has said that he was on a trial and was not officially hired.

He was, however, being paid 20,000 baht a month to teach English in the kindergarten.

Sarasas has dozens of affiliated schools nationwide and elsewhere in the media it has been reported that investigations into their activities are now beginning.

On Tuesday it was announced that OPEC - the Office of the Private Education Commission - had set up a committee to investigate all 42 Sarasas schools

Sanook said that there are 74 foreign teachers at Sarasas in Nonthaburi of which 65 are Filipino and others come from Korea, Russia, Ireland, Australia, Pakistan, Colombia, South Africa and Egypt. 

They were found to all have English teaching visas and work permits.

Marvin however did not and is now being prosecuted and is in the custody of the Chaiyapreuk police.

Sources: Daily News | Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-29

Sanook said that there are 74 foreign teachers at Sarasas in Nonthaburi of which 65 are Filipino and others come from Korea, Russia, Ireland, Australia, Pakistan, Colombia, South Africa and Egypt. 

If the allegations are true, deport him and make sure that he never enters a classroom in Thailand again. 

• Like 2

Just now, iamsano said:

God knows why they always have to change the story. I have the video and I have seen it. The Filipino just happened to be in the class. The person who abused the kid was a Thai teacher and she was even beaten by the kid's dad. She was even in hospital. She abused the kid. Few days later the parents came to school because the kid told them. Now the story is not anymore about the thai teacher who abused..and some people here just believe in anything they see online 

Well you are wrong, what about the video which is on here, showing the Filipino abusing a boy?

• Like 1

Just now, 2long said:

In Marvin's defence, he may have been offered the job and told the visa is in its process or would be applied for as soon as possible (Covid and trial periods are good reasons). Also, who's to say he wasn't keeping a low profile? He could be correct/innocent in this case. I haven't seen the video, but it doesn't sound a clear-cut case against him.

Well i have seen the video of the him abusing a boy.

Who says he wasnt keeping a low profile? You are surely joking, abusing children is not keeping a low profile.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Well i have seen the video of the him abusing a boy.

Who says he wasnt keeping a low profile? You are surely joking, abusing children is not keeping a low profile.

Well, if I see him abusing children, I will agree that he's not keeping a low profile. Until then, I sit on the fence.

• Like 1

God knows why they always have to change the story. I have the video and I have seen it. The Filipino just happened to be in the class. The person who abused the kid was a Thai teacher and she was even beaten by the kid's dad. She was even in hospital. She abused the kid. Few days later the parents came to school because the kid told them. Now the story is not anymore about the thai teacher who abused..and some people here just believe in anything they see online 

inbound3930453172068588465.jpg

inbound281394388135710487.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

If the allegations are true, deport him and make sure that he never enters a classroom in Thailand again. 

But not before apologising to the child, the child's parents, and doing 6 months in jail.

Next in line should be the Principal's resignation with no retirement payouts and say 10 million baht compensation to the child's family put in a trust account to be accessed by the child when 21.

Last but not least, the Minister for the department of education should go through the entire schooling system in Thailand to make sure everyone is appropriately qualified to teach and if not moved on and those schools if found to have some teacher not qualified, then fined 1,000,000 baht for each offence.

Sounds fair to me, but we are in Thailand aren't we, wai and 500 baht fine, my pen rai.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iamsano said:

Soi want to know why the news is not anymore about the Thai teacher. 

Thats outrageous...  A foreigner in Thailand behaving so terribly towards innocent children - these foreigners are so terrible. 

Yes, I know the Thai Teacher's (and many other Thai Teachers in other schools in the past) have been caught abusing and assaulting children... but they’re Thai. What about the foreigner doing terrible things ????

I know, Thai schools have a terrible reputation and there are common issues with physical punishment of children, but what about that foreign teacher also caught doing the same?... those foreign teachers are terrible.

I know, there have been common reports of Thai Teachers hitting children in Thai Government Schools, but what about those foreign teachers working here illegally... law breakers... :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Think........everyone understands what's in a passport.

OK........check passport.......CHECK work permit.   OH, no see...no see....ok, no see.....cannot hire

But it never works this way.  Hired, paid nothing, and then a zillion years later the teacher pays 1 billion baht and gets a work permit.

Clearly this is flawed.    especially with covid.

they take COPIES of everything.    first day, copies......... no work permit, tourist visa.  ok ok. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

So the Pilipino is in big trouble...... but what about the school,

regards Worgeordie

School director has big problem! He or she have to know what happen in school! Have hired worker whitout permit and has let abuse happen! If hire somebody like that coverment not pay salary, that coming from school own money! What they collect from parent's and from donor's!

Edited by 2 is 1

There seems to be a hell of a lot of emphasis on the foreign teacher. My mate who is a teacher (not at any of these schools) has been told to make sure all foreign teachers at his school have their paperwork in order. As for the Thai teachers and staff, nothing. 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

As for the Thai teachers and staff, nothing.

If teachers are coverment officers they paper work is in oder for sure. But like cleaners, van drivers, janitor , school have hired them directly. I think those people's paper work is only in school.