Filipino teacher at center of abuse allegations: He was on tourist visa and had no Work Permit

webfact

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Both

Any school who employs an unsuitable person to take care of kids is mostly all to blame.

An educational institute like a school is duty-bound to ensure the safety and well-being of their kids to the absolute best of their ability. The onus is on the school to be professional and check thoroughly when employing staff - the potential candidate could just be anyone looking for a job. That's why there's a process. 

If a school does all the right checks, etc, and the teacher abuses their position, it's just one of those things that can unfortunately happen. If the school doesn't check, that's all on the school. 

There's no obligation for bad people to be good. Only the deterrent of the law or the fact they're shunned 'cos of their behaviour and reputation. There is 100% an obligation for any institution taking care of kids to be professional and rigorous. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He started work at Sarasas on July 16th without a work permit. The school has said that he was on a trial and was not officially hired.

Watch this get swept under the rug.

"It's illegal!!!" <wink wink nod nod>

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Sanook said that there are 74 foreign teachers at Sarasas in Nonthaburi of which 65 are Filipino and others come from Korea, Russia, Ireland, Australia, Pakistan, Colombia, South Africa and Egypt. 

And to have your child educated by people from these dream team countries....

Just now, BMW Overlander said:

And to have your child educated by people from these dream team countries....

Thats why anyone who can afford it, Thai or Western has their Children educated at good International Schools. 

Fee’s are extortionate but can be offset against the otherwise high tax costs in the UK (for myself anyway). 

If a good International School was not an option here in Thailand (for whatever reasons) I’d have no choice but to be back in the UK and place my son in a school there. 

Thai school is simply not an option, a 100% no. Not just because of news such as this, but because of the education system itself. 

Thai’s are becoming more and more aware of this and the growing middle class are putting their children in international schools. 

The knock-on impact of this is further segregation of society. 

2 hours ago, iamsano said:

God knows why they always have to change the story. I have the video and I have seen it. The Filipino just happened to be in the class. The person who abused the kid was a Thai teacher and she was even beaten by the kid's dad. She was even in hospital. She abused the kid. Few days later the parents came to school because the kid told them. Now the story is not anymore about the thai teacher who abused..and some people here just believe in anything they see online 

You skipped a paragraph:

The case of "Teacher Marvin" came to light from CCTV after furious parents went to the school following another case of abuse from a Thai woman teacher

• Like 1

At least the school will be fined at least 400,000 baht for employing an illegal alien. The teacher will be fined for what he did and also fined and hopefully jailed for assault and working illegally. After serving his sentence he will be banned from returning to Thailand. Somnamna.

Edited by JusticeGB
Just realised that the fines had increased

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The case prompted Nonthaburi immigration to go to Sarasas Witaed Ratchapreuk School in Pak Kret to check up on all 74 foreigners working there. The rest were found to be in Thailand legally.

Seriously!  they expect us to believe it was only the 75th naughty teacher who was not legal to work in Thailand??

Seriously, in the land where corruption is everywhere and the Police are for sale?

I call BS on this and I also reckon the authorities are probably a bit more wealthy and the school a little less so...

• Like 2

Nobody here has a clue

you usually go WITH your school to get all the paperwork done TO IMMIGRATION BEFORE you get your work permit.  Then you go back to school and teach.  Everybody knows.  Foreign teachers are money machines for these schools, and the risk isn't that great.  even 400,000 baht is OK, which I doubt is rarely enforced.   Maybe in this case, however.  

Again, NO school should be allowed to hire now since getting a Non-B is almost impossible in-country.

there is so much money involved, so many parents, so many kids, and everyone knows everyone......small odds people are biting the hand that...

In my few years of teaching, I can remember about 35 teachers teaching without a work permit.  zero got in trouble.  they all either got fired, left, or the school started the process...which takes months.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I feel sorry for the english language when a Filipino is teaching it, i was in the PH many times and i wouldn't allow Filipinos to teach my kids pidgin english, Tagalog yes, english No....

Your out of the topic ezzra ????. Stopped talking nonsense, Foolish talk ????. Who cares about your kids??? 

• Sad 1

Just now, Deaww said:

Your out of the topic ezzra ????. Stopped talking nonsense, Foolish talk ????. Who cares about your kids??? 

Indeed their English is way better than most so called native English speakers (Manchester, Newcastle Glasgow). If you like pidgin English please listen to a Singaporean. I bet most people who react like that just speak and understand 1 language and don't have a clue how other non native English speakers have to learn English. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I know a couple teachers who are still waiting for a contract and their work permit, some schools just think they can get away with it because they are respected and connected. It is very difficult to find teachers, they left and can not return or those who where supposed to start can not enter. 

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Bye bye, you silly plonker, working here illegally you should have kept a low profile, idiot.

A bit like the principal now, fancy paying an illegal to teach in school... bye bye principal

seems it's not only the teachers make mistakes so out you go too

level playing field an all things being fair.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

1 out of 74.

73 out of 74 are all legit and fully legal. 

What are the chances? ????

Yes, indeed!!!    And just the teacher without the correct visa/work permit etc was the one to assault the kid??!!

I think brown envelopes were provided by the school to the visiting Immigration officers to cover the other 'teachers'.    Just too much of a coincidence otherwise.

• Like 2