Anyone tried the Knight Black Horse Dry Red wine?

giddyup

My usual bottle shop didn't have a Castle Creek or Berri Estate 2 litre bottle, so to tide me over I picked up a bottle of Knight Black Horse Dry Red from a 7/11, not realising it's made in Thailand, I guess the price of 299 Baht was a clue. I'll drink it, waste not want not, but I'd never buy it again. It has this strangely sweet aftertaste, how I'd imagine Anti-freeze to taste. Could probably use it in a spag bol rather than pour it down the sink.

Lol Thailand not so famous about wine's. I have always buy import wine's when i want drink wine!

(only red for me).

Not offen coz many Thais dislike the taste. After i know that i sometimes bring to party, knowing i can drink it all ????.

Edited by 2 is 1

15 hours ago, giddyup said:

My usual bottle shop didn't have a Castle Creek or Berri Estate 2 litre bottle, so to tide me over I picked up a bottle of Knight Black Horse Dry Red from a 7/11,

Next time go to Big C and get their red Holla wine. I make no claim about it ( fruit wine ) but at 219 a bottle you save 80 baht and it is not too awful as these things go.

• Like 1

Just now, trucking said:

Next time go to Big C and get their red Holla wine. I make no claim about it ( fruit wine ) but at 219 a bottle you save 80 baht and it is not too awful as these things go.

If I was handy to Big C or Lotus I would have bought the Berri Estate red, but I'm on the darkside, so have to take what I can get locally, for now.

6 minutes ago, stouricks said:
15 minutes ago, Cod Face said:

Yes, they are, but "fruit wine" isn't wine, it's fruit wine.

But if it says 12% ABV, does it matter fruit, grapes, cat-pee,

Maybe not to you but some people consider the taste to be important and someone expecting fruit wine to be real wine would be disappointed.

Edited by Cod Face
  • Like 1

Just now, stouricks said:

What's SANGRIA made of? It's not diluted if it's still 12% ABV

I don't believe sangria is so strong, if it is simply wine (Garnacha) mixed with OJ and lemonade but sometimes it is fortified with brandy and triple sec. It is more like a punch.... which is how I would describe wine weakened with fruit juices.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@giddyup lol! No not even in a spaghetti bolognaise you can use the horrible thing you are mentioning. A name thta must not be told. ???? 

However, please do not fall for or belive:

37 minutes ago, trucking said:

Next time go to Big C and get their red Holla wine. 

It´s same horrible. A while I had a go at all these Thai wines and they are unfortunately the same. Ok, some are mega horrible and some just horrible down to terrible. Still, that´s noty what you want when you take a glass of wine. A fine and lovely liquid that must be treated with a higher respect.

when I buy wine, in my head, it's grape wine.
And I always take care to read the label on the back of the bottle so as not to find "flavored or fruit wine".
Your fruit wine is made with all kinds of fruit or berry pulp plus all the additives, color, taste, smell (very few grapes)
It is imported from different countries, mixed and bottled where it is sold to you.
Of course, for you to buy it, the wine will be of an attractive color and a pleasant taste.
Afterwards, for the stomach, it's something else.
Well, a good thagria will do.
Now if you just want to drink colored alcohol that burns your palate, tongue, and esophagus, that's your problem.

Villa Supermarket have a few good big bottles and boxes. 'Laughing Bird' (which I did once see in Tesco) is about 570 baht for a 1.5 litre bottle. They have another Chilean one called 'Sol De Mayo' that's 100 baht more for the same size and is probably slightly nicer. And last but not least for a man who resents paying Thai prices for wine, they have a boxed wine called 'La Vida' from Chile (think it's locally made). It's 800 baht for 3 litres but actually tastes fine. The only problem is it's only 10% alcohol, so it will take you a couple more glasses 'til you reach that sweet release of passing out. 

• 2 years later...

I just fell into the same trap and now Im reading a little more profoundly the label on the back:

Ingredients: Mulberry-Roselle

Knight Black Horse Fruit Wine

Definitely, you have to carry a loop to buy red wine in Thailand.

And they have the audacity to put "Dry Red" on the front.

Edited by tethys

On 9/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, rkidlad said:

Thai prices for wine, they have a boxed wine called 'La Vida' from Chile (think it's locally made). It's 800 baht for 3 litres but actually tastes fine. The only problem is it's only 10% alcohol, so it will take you a couple more glasses 'til you reach that sweet release of passing out. 

'A Blend of Chilean Merlot and Selected Orchard Fruits'......Mrs seems to like it!

Edited by jacko45k