Unthinkable a year ago! Video shows how COVID-19 has turned Walking Street in to a ghost town

20 hours ago, johng said:

1709270595_Walking10year32.thumb.JPG.b477dd66fecc785c375a240824688c8b.JPG

The arch was moved to the Bali Hai end around this time (2006)

DSCF0022ENL.thumb.JPG.262e7818a39bce41aeff63163743363b.JPG

Thank you for the photo of the TEN YEAR anniversary that was in TWO THOUSAND AND SIX.

Will a certain poster now admit I was right ( I'm not holding my breath )?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now it's just the tourists ..

yeah, its shocking. on another note, allowing cars on WS is the dumbest thing this city could have ever come up with, i truly hope the guilty will burn in hell. why not rename it drivin

That's as virus free as that street has been in decades. 

Posted Images

22 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I thought the US GIs preferred PatPong in BKK?

I visited Bkk in the 70s but it was a dump, IMO, with terrible traffic jams. Patpong was probably more exciting back then, but the tour group leader advised us not to go there as it was too dangerous.

I'd imagine most GIs would prefer not to be in Bkk, as long as they had booze and girls.

I'd have certainly preferred not being in Bkk if I were a GI.

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

And you are claiming you know everything better?

Yes.

Before it became Walking Street it was just a road with bars and restaurants on it. The traffic didn't stop driving on it at 6pm.

It became known as Walking Street because the traffic was stopped and people could walk along it without getting run over. It had an official opening ceremony and they put out tables and chairs like a beer garden, though later they stopped doing that. The Walking Street didn't go all the way to Bali Hi.

Perhaps the GIs called it walking street, but it wasn't Walking Street.

The big LCD screen was put up many years after it became Walking Street.

All correct from one who's been visiting Pattaya on and off since 1989.

• Like 2
On 10/20/2020 at 9:12 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Will a certain poster now admit I was right ( I'm not holding my breath )?

Never, I can tell you. Silence is the admission.

• Like 1
On 10/20/2020 at 3:12 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

1709270595_Walking10year32.thumb.JPG.b477dd66fecc785c375a240824688c8b.JPG

Thanks for that photo. Although it is 2006 the girls are straight out of the 90s- slim, cheerful and attractive.

During the past decade the standard of Pattaya bar totty has gone down substantially IMO, and some were actually "chubby"- the horror, the horror.

I miss Pattaya as it used to be in the glory days.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
On 10/20/2020 at 3:51 PM, BigStar said:

They did, as Pattaya had nothing for them. BKK was the big R&R area. Pattaya had a few GIs around for visiting the beach, and at least once a large group came in for the same purpose. That always gets embroidered, however, into a sex tour, with no evidence to support that congenial idea. Pattaya couldn't possibly support a sex tour, and military authorities wouldn't permit it anyway. 

The working girls serving U-Tapao were located and regulated, even with mandatory STD checks, at a place called Newland about 10 miles in the opposite direction from Pattaya. That was to keep the servicemen out of the nearby towns where they'd make a nuisance of themselves and get in trouble.

So the "scene" in Pattaya got under way after the war and the GIs had gone, starting with Germans and Australians.

What we have here is always the repetition of a lot of ignorance parroted from tourist brochures and guides treated as "official" history. It's important for many of our posters never to let go of it or their old brains simply can't. Sometimes a false memory from some later time gets invoked. However, we've had testimonials from former US soldiers here and indeed an old friend of mine, now 82, was stationed at U-Tapao as a bomber pilot and verifies exactly what I just said.

It's already been rehashed numerous times on the forum.

While I am aware that U Tapao had it's own bar girl area, didn't GIs on R and R visit Pattaya? It's not like Pattaya had much to get into trouble over with, from most accounts, just a fishing village.

It's almost impossible to find information from servicemen that were there now, but I've read bits and pieces over the years that seem to confirm GIs did visit it. It was probably the best beach close to Bkk in those long ago days.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I am aware that U Tapao had it's own bar girl area, didn't GIs on R and R visit Pattaya? It's not like Pattaya had much to get into trouble over with, from most accounts, just a fishing village.

It's almost impossible to find information from servicemen that were there now, but I've read bits and pieces over the years that seem to confirm GIs did visit it. It was probably the best beach close to Bkk in those long ago days.

R and R in the sense of visiting a quiet beach area, privately and informally, yes. There were some small restos and beer, but no P4P "scene" as asserted in the embellished fake history. The GIs didn't need that scene as it existed not far away w/ the blessings of officialdom and subject to health regulation, too.

Anyone not stationed at U-Tapao who wanted P4P and "fun" had the official R&R stopover of Bangkok, unbeatable and closer to the other bases. Hence the Scene in Pattaya started up after the GIs had left and Pattaya wasn't "built" by the Americans.

Edited by BigStar
13 minutes ago, BigStar said:

R and R in the sense of visiting a quiet beach area, privately and informally, yes. There were some small restos and beer, but no P4P "scene" as asserted in the embellished fake history. The GIs didn't need that scene as it existed not far away w/ the blessings of officialdom and subject to health regulation, too.

Anyone not stationed at U-Tapao who wanted P4P and "fun" had the official R&R stopover of Bangkok, unbeatable and closer to the other bases. Hence the Scene in Pattaya started up after the GIs had left and Pattaya wasn't "built" by the Americans.

Thanks.

Pattaya was built on the backs of bargirls, despite the protestations of those that disprove of such.

I contributed quite a lot of money to it's development.

It was a lot more sanuk before the authorities decided they wanted to make it a "world class beach resort". Pity they can't stop the sand vanishing every time it rains.