Unthinkable a year ago! Video shows how COVID-19 has turned Walking Street in to a ghost town

webfact

On 10/2/2020 at 9:47 AM, Eindhoven said:

Some people live there; I had an apartment there. A few times I had to smack the heads of the useless and drunk Tessakit there(figuratively)....though now they are Special Affairs(ridiculous) 

It's an inconvenience; not being able to get to your home without hassle.

Unless you bought it before mid 90s, it was near Walking Street when you bought it.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 10:22 PM, VBF said:

Take your points BUT.....

Airlines will get back to flying as soon as countries let them in. As an example, Emirates have slowly begun flying to many of the destinations that were closed in March

https://simpleflying.com/emirates-a380-reawakening/   They and some of the other well-funded and organised airlines could probably switch Thailand back on when allowed as they have the capacity.

Your other points don't apply to MANY people who usually travel to Thailand and are self-employed and have carried on working, or are retired and haven't suffered financially.

Emirates have offered many incentives during the C-19 crisis order to see it through. I have flights booked with them that come with no change fees in the t’s+c’s.

They also are offering a one-of-a-kind COVID-coverage health insurance, valid for 31 days.

‘If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 within 31 days from the moment you take your first flight, the airline will cover medical expenses with up to €150,000 (about $177,000). Furthermore, it will reimburse any quarantine costs with up to €100 ($118) for 14 days.’

It would be useful to know if the Thai government would accept this as part of their (ever changing) rules on insurance for entering the country.

But not so sure I want to stay anywhere in quarantine that costs only $118 for 14 days!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:36 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Uh?

A comment from someone who probably never visited Walking Street. :whistling:

How could a place be a brothel when there is no "sexual activity" ?

You're joking, I hope? 

You'll be saying the girls there are not prostitutes next :cheesy:

14 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Uh? Not at all what I said. :blink:

A brothel is a place where men go and pay to have sex with prostitutes

Walking Street is not a place where men have sex (or a very few exceptions)

so Walking Street is not a brothel, even if full of "prostitutes". :jap:

Definition of brothel

: a building in which prostitutes are available

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brothel

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you aware that Walking Street is a street and not a building?

A brothel is commonly accepted as being a building in which sex occurs with prostitutes- none of them on W S, to my knowledge.

Correct.  I suspect many people have never even ventured onto WS or into a gogo bar, and think it's full of people having sex with prostitutes! 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Correct.  I suspect many people have never even ventured onto WS or into a gogo bar

Your remark would make sense if the majority of people on this forum were married to spouses, either being hi-so Chinese and holding a PhD in one or another profession, but sorry to break it for you, the reality is little different.

And I consider a definition by merriam-webster over that of a TVF member as more credible

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

Your remark would make sense if the majority of people on this forum were married to spouses, either being hi-so Chinese and holding a PhD in one or another profession, but sorry to break it for you, the reality is little different.

And I consider a definition by merriam-webster over that of a TVF member as more credible

In that case, you'd think they would be aware that any paying for sex takes place in hotels or people's homes, which can be found all over the town.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In that case, you'd think they would be aware that any paying for sex takes place in hotels or people's homes, which can be found all over the town.

I suggest you take it up with merriaqm-webster and other similar organizations, and tell them they are WRONG.

There are plenty of examples that define a brothel as a place where prostitutes are available, which is something completely different as, a place where prostitutes are having sex.

And you may also be aware that they are paying the go-go a fee to take the prostitute outside, so they pay in the brothel

Edited by Susco
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe you should try a better dictionary!

brothel

(brɒθəl  )

Word forms: plural brothels COUNTABLE NOUN

A brothel is a building where men can go to pay to have sex with prostitutes.

You do understand the difference between "can go to pay to have sex" and "can go to have sex", right?

Anyway, end of discussion. Bye

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Susco said:

I suggest you take it up with merriaqm-webster and other similar organizations, and tell them they are WRONG.

There are plenty of examples that define a brothel as a place where prostitutes are available, which is something completely different as, a place where prostitutes are having sex.

And you may also be aware that they are paying the go-go a fee to take the prostitute outside, so they pay in the brothel

Your last sentence proves, IMO, that you know less than what you think you know about what goes on on Walking Street.

Bye.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Your last sentence proves, IMO, that you know nothing about what goes on on Walking Street.

At least I'm in Thailand and very close to walking street for the past 27 years visiting it almost every night, while you had to leave Thailand because you ran out of money, and haven't been here for long time.

But of course you know it all better.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Covid did not turn Walking Street into a ghost town. The government did with lockdowns etc.

Same everywhere.

In 1918 to my knowledge more people died and they didn't "lockdown" whole countries.

Lock-downs didn't turn Walking St into a ghost town, the lack of folks supporting the businesses did.......  ????

See what I did there? I'll try to summarize: COVID = Borders shutdown = Folks not supporting Walking Street's businesses = Walking Street's businesses close = Ghost town.

Root cause is COVID.

Of course I wasn't born in or before 1918 but I'm betting there wasn't too much international traveling occurring on the level that it is these days. At least I'm pretty sure that back then there weren't too many folks from New Zealand and Australia getting on airplanes and talking vacations to Thailand beaches.

16 hours ago, Susco said:

At least I'm in Thailand and very close to walking street for the past 27 years visiting it almost every night, while you had to leave Thailand because you ran out of money, and haven't been here for long time.

But of course you know it all better.

Considering Walking Street hasn't been Walking Street for 27 years I'd like to know how you managed that. I was there when it became Walking Street and it wasn't in 1993/ 1994.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Considering Walking Street hasn't been Walking Street for 27 years I'd like to know how you managed that. I was there when it became Walking Street and it wasn't in 1993/ 1994.

And you are claiming you know everything better?

I arrived here January 4th 1994 and walking street already existed and was called walking street.

We stayed at the little duck hotel on Klang, and asked a SongTaew to take us to walking street on our first night, as we didn't know where it was.

Because there was no big lcd screen saying walking street yet, doesn't mean it didn't exist yet and was called exactly that.

It must have existed even before we arrived, because we knew the name from friends in Europe who had visited before us.

I'm sure some old hands on this forum can confirm

https://history.code.blog/2019/02/17/pattayas-walking-street-1980/

image.png.4bb894f90158694d1d99db6011001cf6.png

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

I arrived here January 4th 1994 and walking street already existed and was called walking street.

We stayed at the little duck hotel on Klang, and asked a SongTaew to take us to walking on our first night, as we didn't know where it was.

Because there was no big lcd screen saying walking street yet, doesn't mean it didn't exist yet and was called exactly that.

It must have existed even before we arrived, because we knew the name from friends in Europe who had visited before us.

It was at the time of the Vietnam War that Pattaya really started to develop a reputation as a place where you could relax and enjoy life. This was at the end of the late 1950's and the early 1960's, when US GI's would frequent the same place in what these days, would be known as Walking Street.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

It was at the time of the Vietnam War that Pattaya really started to develop a reputation as a place where you could relax and enjoy life. This was at the end of the late 1950's and the early 1960's, when US GI's would frequent the same place in what these days, would be known as Walking Street.

I thought the US GIs preferred PatPong in BKK?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Susco said:

We stayed at the little duck hotel on Klang, and asked a SongTaew to take us to walking street on our first night, as we didn't know where it was.

Always liked this picture, because the guy on the bottom right is me (in my bell bottom pants and 2" heeled boots)..great days.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 2:56 PM, Susco said:

Yes.

Before it became Walking Street it was just a road with bars and restaurants on it. The traffic didn't stop driving on it at 6pm.

It became known as Walking Street because the traffic was stopped and people could walk along it without getting run over. It had an official opening ceremony and they put out tables and chairs like a beer garden, though later they stopped doing that. The Walking Street didn't go all the way to Bali Hi.

Perhaps the GIs called it walking street, but it wasn't Walking Street.

The big LCD screen was put up many years after it became Walking Street.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1