US absentee ballot

American Citizen Services at the US Embassy informed me that voting ballots sent to them would be added to the daily diplomatic pouch and placed in US Mail on arrival in the US.

Sent my ballot on Sept 21 by registered mail. By Sept 28, it was still not shown as delivered but my helpful local posties (Bangna) informed me the mail was delivered to the Embassy guard on Sept 22. Someone had forgotten to enter it into the computer.

The US Embassy told me they'd like to receive American citizen absentee ballots by October 1 so they will arrive to be counted by November 3.

Disclaimer. This is the second time I've voted in my life. The Republicrat two-party system makes voting a shallow sham. The system is designed to fool citizens that they have a voice. Yeah, right! Emma Goldman said it best: "If voting could change anything it would be illegal"--there, here, and everywhere.

Honestly, I don't think democracy means voting against a total idiot. Shouldn't there be somebody to vote for? The US runs on war. There have been 17 years of (maybe) peace in 300 years of history. I won't be voting again--ever--no matter who wins.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I dropped my ballot off at the embassy in person a couple of weeks ago. It's quite easy. Go to the American services area, show your passport, and walk inside to drop it into the ballot box. It will be sent in the pouch to the US and then put into the US mail.

On the envelope, make certain you tape on a U.S. postage-paid form (likely included with your ballot) and label it with the correct address. Also, follow the ballot instructions, which may include putting the ballot inside another envelope, and include the signed affidavit. 

Go to https://www.fvap.gov/ for details on requesting your ballot. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Considering the number of mailed ballots this election, I chose to send my ballot by DHL directly to the county Court Clerk where it has been confirmed as having been received. If any American can afford the approx. $41.00, I recommend not taking a chance.

This is what I did.

Note that even delivering to the Embassy by 1 October does not guarantee it will reach your Board of Elections by Nov 3. Mails are unusally slow now.

Moving this thread to the Home Country Forum as it is not Bangkok specific.

17 minutes ago, fceligoj said:

I am not sure why you have to do a mail-in ballot.  I am registered in New Jersey and because I am not in the US, I can do my absentee ballot by email.  It was easy, and everything worked out immediately, no USPS to deal with.

Many states do nto allow email ballots. Mine does not.

• Like 1
On 9/28/2020 at 8:40 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

Emma Goldman said it best: "If voting could change anything it would be illegal"--there, here, and everywhere.

Honestly, I don't think democracy means voting against a total idiot. Shouldn't there be somebody to vote for? The US runs on war. There have been 17 years of (maybe) peace in 300 years of history. I won't be voting again--ever--no matter who wins.

If it were truly a vote then "None of the Above" should also be on the ballot ????

If "none of the above" wins then the people have spoken & said the choices suck.

Renominate till you put one forth that the people actually believe in

On 9/30/2020 at 1:44 PM, wwest5829 said:

Considering the number of mailed ballots this election, I chose to send my ballot by DHL directly to the county Court Clerk where it has been confirmed as having been received. If any American can afford the approx. $41.00, I recommend not taking a chance.

You're joking right? 

If you don't know the system is rigged by now you never will.  It makes no difference who wins and you just wasted $41.00.  Unbelievable.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, jimgilly said:

You're joking right? 

If you don't know the system is rigged by now you never will.  It makes no difference who wins and you just wasted $41.00.  Unbelievable.

While I think I may well be witnessing the loss of my country, I am not willing to give up without my vote in the election. We might well have much we can agree on as evidence of the oligarchy having control and the working middle class being to dose to recognize the facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/30/2020 at 1:44 PM, wwest5829 said:

If you order the shipment online right now via DHL or UPS at least for home pickup, the prices are considerably discounted compared to doing an in-person/drop-off shipment at any of their counters. My online order/home pickup price this week was about $20, less than a regular EMS shipment to the U.S.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
On 10/2/2020 at 7:28 PM, J Town said:

Not sure if it's too late, but some states allow you to fax your ballot in when it's accompanied by an "oath of voter" form. No matter what - VOTE!!!!

The states are literally all over the map in terms of the rules for returning voted absentee ballots from overseas voters.  Some allow mail return-only, some allow fax return, or otherwise. It really depends on each individual's particular home state.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The states are literally all over the map in terms of the rules for returning voted absentee ballots from overseas voters.  Some allow mail return-only, some allow fax return, or otherwise. It really depends on each individual's particular home state.

I did post "some states."

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I went directly to my state's website (book marked 4 year ago) and did it all from there. Emailed the application, received the ballot, voted, put the ballot in a postage paid envelope, put it in another envelope and sent it to the embassy by EMS. Now waiting for it to be shown on the state website as received at the country where I am registered.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I went directly to my state's website (book marked 4 year ago) and did it all from there. Emailed the application, received the ballot, voted, put the ballot in a postage paid envelope, put it in another envelope and sent it to the embassy by EMS. Now waiting for it to be shown on the state website as received at the country where I am registered.

FWIW, there have been a couple member reports lately in these election-related threads of members giving their ballots to the Embassy/Consulate here, and them never arriving or arriving well after the election, in past years. Plus, once the ballot from the Embassy/Consulate makes it to the U.S. (hopefully), then it still has to be delivered (or not) by the U.S.P.S.

I'm sending my main absentee ballot to the U.S. via UPS for a total price of $20.50 via online order and home-pickup, with delivery promised within the week, and trackable, of course. But also today, I took my backup ballot (write-in absentee ballot) to the U.S. Embassy in BKK, mainly just as a test and experiment. Since my state also has a website that allows you to track when your ballot is received.

The BKK Embassy publicly advised that Oct. 1 (last week) was their recommended cutoff date them receiving citizen ballots and then forwarding them to the U.S. for delivery in time for the election. But I figured I'd give it a try anyway now on Oct. 7, because it's free with a postage-paid election envelope and to see just how long it will take to arrive. The Embassy front security office wanted to see my passport or other ID in order to drop off the ballot, and once I provided those, they allowed me to go inside to the security public checkpoint area, where the ballot box was sitting on a counter.

We shall see....

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The BKK Embassy publicly advised that Oct. 1 (last week) was their recommended cutoff date them receiving citizen ballots and then forwarding them to the U.S. for delivery in time for the election.

They got mine on September 23rd.

It worked good 4 years ago.

My ballot was e-mailed to me from Texas early Sept but had to mail it back. Sent  it EMS,a508nd 40 baht to the ACS voting officer and all is good. easy and painless. Had to vote this time because just too D,,n important.

I logged into my U.S. mail service account tonight, and found they had posted the following message on their website re the current status of U.S.P.S.:

Important: Due to the current USPS crisis, we are seeing major problems in the delivery of mail and packages to USA2Me. We are in contact with our local post office trying to remedy the situation, however it is not within our control. Among the problems we are seeing:
  • Delayed or missed deliveries by USPS
  • Packages marked as delivered by USPS that have not actually been delivered
  • Missed pickups for outgoing mail

Sounds like the Trump Election season plan for USPS is working to a tee!!!

• Like 1
On 9/30/2020 at 9:02 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

I think US election regs specify ballots "must be postmarked". That means mail only. I bet couriers don't count and will spoil your ballot.

I sent mine by courier and local Board of Elections confirmed receipt.

Embassy websites and organizations like Vote from Abroad all mention courier as a way to send ballots.

• Like 1

Keep in mind the US Embassy/Consulate has a DPO (Diplomatic Post Office....it's the US State Dept version of an APO/FPO used by military organizations)...so the ballot you send them to be relayed/mailed to the U.S. will have post mark issued by the DPO.

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I logged into my U.S. mail service account tonight, and found they had posted the following message on their website re the current status of U.S.P.S.:

Sounds like the Trump Election season plan for USPS is working to a tee!!!

It was messed up long before that. And now the over load of blue states doing mass ballot mail has only made it worse.