Visa extensions approved under previous amnesty to be upheld until Nov 30

webfact

2 minutes ago, genericptr said:

So they gave people who simply overstayed their visas amnesty until Oct 31st? I never thought I'd see the day to get freebies from immigration.

They made a mess of things by underestimating the number of people that would leave in September. They could make a lot of money in overstay fines now but perhaps realise that they are partly or mostly responsible for those overstays.

43 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Why's it so funny? Should immigration (or any law enforcement) be encouraging good beahviour or not? Isn't a fundamental of good law enforcement the prevention of crimes? 

they gave amnesty to people who stayed after Sep 26th without getting an extension (which meant they were on overstay by a few days). I left already but I could have literally just done nothing and still gotten amnesty. I bet they do it again in October too.

5 minutes ago, Promula said:

They made a mess of things by underestimating the number of people that would leave in September. They could make a lot of money in overstay fines now but perhaps realise that they are partly or mostly responsible for those overstays.

It's kind of funny the tourists forced the governments hand by simply refusing to go home. We had since July to get a plane ticket (to anywhere) but the best thing to do would have been nothing.

4 minutes ago, genericptr said:

they gave amnesty to people who stayed after Sep 26th without getting an extension (which meant they were on overstay by a few days). I left already but I could have literally just done nothing and still gotten amnesty. I bet they do it again in October too.

They wanted to make some people like you leave to show that they're enforcing the law. They succeeded, and then unenforced it ????

1 minute ago, genericptr said:

Why is the government responsible? I thought the visa holder was responsible for following the terms of the visa.

Because they couldn't process 150,000 applications and had wrongly estimated that nearly all of them would leave instead.

Love  that  pic at the start  sent it to social media  outlets in Australia

Guys in  black  and  white  hoods and  AK47

What a wonderful promotion for Tourism  ... the  WW11   Nazi  look is a classic  great work  guys  ....lol

At  least  the Chinese  are used to that look in China  ....bring  in  Virus  and  all   they deserve  a  good hoilday   

after   the Virus has  killed  ???  maybe  millions ...I was never racist   but  sorry  over China  lately  I am ...

Good Luck  Thailand

2 minutes ago, Guderian said:

It seems that the "new normal" in Thailand is to simply ignore the laws and do whatever you please

That's the old normal too. People have been jumping red lights and riding their motorbike along pavements etc since forever.

Edited by Promula

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

and those who thought (and correctly, it seems now) they still had a chance to game the system so ignored the warnings from the Immigration police and are now here illegally.

exactly. They said 2 groups. Both get amnesty. One of those groups had no valid visa at the time the amnesty was granted.

6 minutes ago, Guderian said:

In other words, those who obeyed the rules and did what the authorities told them to do and are here legally, and those who thought (and correctly, it seems now) they still had a chance to game the system so ignored the warnings from the Immigration police and are now here illegally. It seems that the "new normal" in Thailand is to simply ignore the laws and do whatever you please, the government will always bend the rules to accommodate you.

No, the people who got visas are here legally and they can get visa extensions , those who didnt get visas are here legally and they cannot get visa extensions 

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No, the people who got visas are here legally and they can get visa extensions , those who didnt get visas are here legally and they cannot get visa extensions 

I haven't seen anything that states the latter of your comments. Do you have a link?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

those who didnt get visas are here legally and they cannot get visa extensions 

but they get amnesty until Oct 31st right? It's not this exact post but it was a previous announcement. There is a Oct 31st and Nov 30th date which apply to both groups respectively.

Edited by genericptr

18 hours ago, MadMac said:

It means pretty clearly that existing extensions are valid till end of October. It also pretty clearly says that if you do not have an extension there is no further grace period. No further amnesty. From today on you are on overstay.

People who applied for the 30 days extension and paid for it can stay until November 30. People on extended amnesty should leave October 31. That's how I understand it. No one is on overstay because they will backdate the extended amnesty to September 27. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, genericptr said:

but they get amnesty until Oct 31st right? It's not this exact post but it was a previous announcement. There is a Oct 31st and Nov 30th date which apply to both groups respectively.

Yes, that's how I understand it,too. And no overstay because they will backdate the extended amnesty to September 27. That's how they did it earlier. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

People on extended amnesty should leave October 31. That's how I understand it. No one is on overstay because they will backdate the extended amnesty to September 27. 

That's correct I believe. I'm just pointing out that instead of actually going home or seeking an extension I could have literally just done nothing and still stayed until Oct 31st. Remember how they threatened multiple times to get your visa in order or fines penalties? That was just a bluff. You could have just ignored them and done nothing to get another 30 days.

19 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

People applied for extensions, not visas. The requirements for another extension if they don't extend the amnesty after October 31 will probably be some paper saying they can't go back home, (even if it's bs), almost everyone can fly back home anytime they want. 

3 minutes ago, genericptr said:

That's correct I believe. I'm just pointing out that instead of actually going home or seeking an extension I could have literally just done nothing and still stayed until Oct 31st. Remember how they threatened multiple times to get your visa in order or fines penalties? That was just a bluff. You could have just ignored them and done nothing to get another 30 days.

It wasn't a bluff, it's the government that extends amnesties not immigration. If immigration doesn't get any info about another amnesty extension, they are supposed to order people to leave. The official announcement came 3 days after the amnesty expired. That was 3 days in limbo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

People applied for extensions, not visas. The requirements for another extension if they don't extend the amnesty after October 31 will probably be some paper saying they can't go back home, (even if it's bs), almost everyone can fly back home anytime they want. 

Some people applied for retirement/education and other visas .

But just change what I said to *those who got visas or visa extensions ,* 

18 hours ago, MadMac said:

Meaning no further amnesty, just people that got an extension already can stay till end of October.

Meaning people who extended within Sept 26th deadline for an extra 30 days can stay at no further cost until Nov 30th [but possibly need to go for another stamp before end Oct]

Those who did not extend before Sept 26th are on overstay.

The amnesty is over, only the processing time has been extended.