STV visa - Chinese quota full already?

My girlfriend from China was checking how to apply for this new STV, and she got reply from an agent that "October quota is full", mostly with passengers from Guangzhou... How this happened when it's not even official yet? (I thought it was approved just last night? and China was not even on the list? I thought only Scandinavians and Ozzies)... News in China published in details how many groups are coming next month, from which places, which dates, and even which flights (Thai and Smile)... Now she is trying to get available slot for November, apparently price is 39000cny per passenger (not sure what is included exactly)... Just sharing this info here for those interested in STV updates.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Not so hard to fill the quote when they start with only 150-300 people (different numbers online). They haven't decided which countries or regions are allowed because of recent covid-19 outbreaks. If I were you, I would wait and see how long the mandatory quarantine will last. For a couple in a 14 nights quarantine + probably quite expensive tickets + Covid-19 tests and F2F- certificates, the total cost will be quite high. 

33 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Not so hard to fill the quote when they start with only 150-300 people (different numbers online). They haven't decided which countries or regions are allowed because of recent covid-19 outbreaks. If I were you, I would wait and see how long the mandatory quarantine will last. For a couple in a 14 nights quarantine + probably quite expensive tickets + Covid-19 tests and F2F- certificates, the total cost will be quite high. 

I'm in Phuket, just had some friends from Europe and Asia checking how to get this STV... seems they are late to the party even before it started.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Personally I would wait until the quarantine period has been reduced to 7 days, which is what they've been mulling for mid November. 

Personally I would wait until the quarantine period has been reduced to 7 days, which is what they've been mulling for mid November. 

And perhaps combined with the 15 minute comfortable Covid 19 tests. 

And perhaps with tests (more accurate tests) on arrival at the departure airport with fast processing and results forwarded electronically to the arrival airport.

Some how I suspect we will see things like this until there a very well proven successful vaccine and large numbers of people globally have been inoculated plus the need to show vaccination proof which is instantly verified against an always up to date global database.

There's little doubt in my mind that full return to pre-covid might never happen. 

Edited by scorecard

Do you think this likely considering we are dealing with a disease that has an incubation period of up to 14 days? I suppose a 100% reliable test after 7 days could suffice.

10 days quarantine looks more likely than 7, according to press reports.

These flights were probably arranged weeks ago; neither government  is wholly transparent when discussing policy detail in the media. First week in October would normally be Golden Week in China, when millions would travel accross the globe, many to SE Asia.

It's a start.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Max69xl said:

i'd guess the majority of the cost will be the quarantine hotel expense.

covid tests are cheap at around $30, FTF certificates probably $5 (doc visit at government hospital costs less than $1, doubt there are many expensive tests to show physically able to fly).

chinese airlines are operational and can easily add a charter flight or two.  thai airlines must have hundreds of planes sitting on the tarmac ready to go.