EU won't accept Britain going back on Brexit deal, Germany's Roth says - magazine

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Oh no they won't!

If they want to sell their Brit-trash in our glorious European Union they will have to kiss our ring.

Our market. Our rules.

The last "glorious" project for European unity also had a catchy four word slogan which they trotted out from time to time. If I recall it didn't repeat the word, "our" but used the word "ein".

Anyone care to remind us?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

Reading the last few pages of this thread, especially the burst of activity since the news broke of the EU launching proceedings in the (their) European Court in Strasbourg has set me musing.

I occasionally entertain myself by composing lyrics - not particularly skilfully but there you are:

"So there must be,

A court case such as this one,

A case we bring,

To make Johnson bend the knee,

We must ensure,

That notwithstanding Brexit,

The English know,

That they cannot be free."

Of course lyrics without music mean nothing. Many years ago I studied classic political cinema, as part of a Media Studies degree. I recently watched again Leni Riefenstahl's classic 1934 film, "The Triumph of The Will" - despite the abhorrent event and foul creed which it celebrated, a classic of it's genre; the internet makes old movies so much more accessible don't you think?. The tune which provided the "leitmotif" for the soundtrack, played over and over again throughout the film fits these lyrics so well!

So while you trumpet cries of "The English must kiss the glorious European Unions ring" and talk of "golden ages to come, perfidious Albion and similar, perhaps this tune, and these lyrics should be playing in the background.

It might even give some of the "fellow travellers" pause for thought!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Reading the last few pages of this thread, especially the burst of activity since the news broke of the EU launching proceedings in the (their) European Court in Strasbourg has set me musing.

I occasionally entertain myself by composing lyrics - not particularly skilfully but there you are:

"So there must be,

A court case such as this one,

A case we bring,

To make Johnson bend the knee,

We must ensure,

That notwithstanding Brexit,

The English know,

That they cannot be free."

Of course lyrics without music mean nothing. Many years ago I studied classic political cinema, as part of a Media Studies degree. I recently watched again Leni Riefenstahl's classic 1934 film, "The Triumph of The Will" - despite the abhorrent event and foul creed which it celebrated, a classic of it's genre; the internet makes old movies so much more accessible don't you think?. The tune which provided the "leitmotif" for the soundtrack, played over and over again throughout the film fits these lyrics so well!

So while you trumpet cries of "The English must kiss the glorious European Unions ring" and talk of "golden ages to come, perfidious Albion and similar, perhaps this tune, and these lyrics should be playing in the background.

It might even give some of the "fellow travellers" pause for thought!

Like keep your backs to the wall on the way through?

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:18 PM, mfd101 said:

Britain's 'internal' bill violates the terms of an international treaty Britain signed only a few months ago ...

Well, golly, doesn't matter, let's do that more often!

There’s no reasoning with Mr Garnett but nice try ????????

9 hours ago, Surelynot said:

The bit where you sign up to an international treaty and then completely reneged on parts of the treaty.......I'm guessing.

Look why are you remainers still here, get over it Uk has left the EU scum flig the signed treaty, Trump can do it so can Boris.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 4:10 PM, Loiner said:

The rest of the world does not care about what goes on with our internal borders and your EU trickery.

Which is why they’re queueing up with trade deals ? I mean the US has threatened to walk away from one before it’s written if the U.K. reneges on a deal they signed up to. Is that caring enough ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Soon they will coin the phrase as untrustworthy as a Brit. So funny not so long ago the Brits were people who would stick to their words now they break international treaties. 

And of course no other EU country breaks their words, do they?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

That's already happened, look up "perfidious Albion". Throughout history the British have been known as untrustworthy and perfidious. 

Why don't you remainers wanting UK to stay in the EU get into your thick skulls UK has left, deal no deal who cares, dream on no more dosh from us to support a bunch of mafia scroungers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, david555 said:

We are not in your way ….as you are out already ….forgot? …..just call your Lord Frost from the negotiation table away and it's done... All yours 

What is holding you ?????

Nothing ganna hold Boris, UK is off away from a bunch of scrounging  mafia type supported countries, good riddance to you and the likes of you. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Which is why they’re queueing up with trade deals ? I mean the US has threatened to walk away from one before it’s written if the U.K. reneges on a deal they signed up to. Is that caring enough ? 

Yes they are still queuing up for deals. None of them care about your bruised EU egos or trick agreements. The world prefers UK, especially the US part of it. Don't rely on what comes out of the Democrats mouths. The tip of the iceberg for trade deals was only recently announced between the US and UK. More to come.

• Sad 1

IIRC there was a referendum which basically said do you want to leave or remain in the EU. The Leavers won that referendum.

Then there was a party election which left the Conservatives still in power and Theresa May in charge who pormised that the UK would leave the EU and promptly wasted a couple of years in pointless negotiation and gave away many opportunities of proper negotiation.

There was another internal election and Boris became PM.

He then held a general election on the strength of the UK will leave the EU on 31 December 2019. Again the remainers lost as did the Labour party.

We did leave on 31 December 2019 and told the EU that their would be a negotiation period after which the UK would have a negotiated agreement or leave without an agreement under WTO rules.

After several years or playing with Theresa May successfully they have tried to do the same with Boris. Now at this late hour they have realised that when Boris won the election he wasn't going to play their game and the EU has realised that the clock is ticking against them,m.

• Thanks 2

The UK hasn't broken any international law. It hasn't been signed off by the Queen. The Bill has been put on hold if the UK needs to use it.

So... the eu are threatening legal action for "thinking about" breaking a law. This will be amusing, this is being charged of a crime before you actually start doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The Scottish government will take Westminster to court if this bill is not abandoned.

Is Johnson going to ask Lizzie to sign off on something which breaks the act of union?

He is already in the bad books with her Maj for the unlawfull closing of parliament and lying to her. 

Ah competence. Thy name is Johnson ????

Here we go again!

Scotland is an integral part of the United Kingdom.

Scotland is fully represented in the Parliament of the United Kingdom.

The elected house of the United Kingdom's Parliament, which includes full representation from Scotland has debated and passed this bill.

When it goes before Her Majesty for Royal Assent, that is what matters.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

Here we go again!

Scotland is an integral part of the United Kingdom.

Scotland is fully represented in the Parliament of the United Kingdom.

The elected house of the United Kingdom's Parliament, which includes full representation from Scotland has debated and passed this bill.

Ah allow me to educate you my friend.

Because this bill, which is NOT just about internal markets, infringes upon the Sewell convention and indeed the Scotland Act it has to be ratified by the devolved parliaments of Scotland, Wales and the NI assembly.

Now there is not a cats chance in hell any of those devolved parliaments are going to vote for it.

Hence we reach a situation whereby Westminster is not only reneging upon international agreements but also upon its own domestic ones. 

Now I shall not bore you with all the legal arguments (you can google them they are worth a read) but it turns out, in layman's terms, this is a bad thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Ah allow me to educate you my friend.

Because this bill, which is NOT just about internal markets, infringes upon the Sewell convention and indeed the Scotland Act it has to be ratified by the devolved parliaments of Scotland, Wales and the NI assembly.

Now there is not a cats chance in hell any of those devolved parliaments are going to vote for it.

Hence we reach a situation whereby Westminster is not only reneging upon international agreements but also upon its own domestic ones. 

Now I shall not bore you with all the legal arguments (you can google them they are worth a read) but it turns out, in layman's terms, this is a bad thing to do.

Wikipedia's summary on the Sewell Convention and the Scotland Act opens with this paragraph:

"The Scotland Act 1998 devolved many issues relating to legislation for Scotland to the Scottish Parliament. The UK Parliament maintains parliamentary sovereignty and may legislate on any issue, with or without the permission of the devolved assemblies and parliaments."

It goes on to point out that:

"The convention under which the UK government uses legislative consent motions (such as the Sewell Convention) is not legally binding."

I think that educates me sufficiently!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2