EU won't accept Britain going back on Brexit deal, Germany's Roth says - magazine

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Wikipedia's summary on the Sewell Convention and the Scotland Act opens with this paragraph:

"The Scotland Act 1998 devolved many issues relating to legislation for Scotland to the Scottish Parliament. The UK Parliament maintains parliamentary sovereignty and may legislate on any issue, with or without the permission of the devolved assemblies and parliaments."

It goes on to point out that:

"The convention under which the UK government uses legislative consent motions (such as the Sewell Convention) is not legally binding."

I think that educates me sufficiently!

OK then there is nothing to worry about is there?

I wonder who edited that wiki ?

What the Scotland act states is that all powers not reserved by Westminster are transferred to the Scottish parliament. Now some of those powers were already held by the EU.

Still following?

So when those powers were released from EU control they should be passed to the Scottish parliament. Westminster has not allowed that. It has grabbed those powers for itself. Thats strike number one.

Indeed one of the things contained in the Internal market bill is that a committee in Westminster will decide which laws passed by the Government of Scotland will be allowed. Now you can bet your life that committee will be packed with Conservative MP's most if not all of whom will not be Scottish. Thats strike two. Thats the bit that breaks the act of union.

It also allows Westminster to dictate spending in Scotland over things which are already devolved (Education, health that sort of stuff) and then send the Scottish Parliament a bill for that spending. So you can imagine Westminster spending a lot of money in Conservative constituencies and then telling the Scottish government they need to pay for it. Thats strike three. 

Now as you can see this is not going to sit well with the people of Scotland. 

So why is this stuff included in what was supposed to be a dispute with the EU? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2020 at 8:29 AM, nobodysfriend said:

There will be no business at all if one of the involved parties has proven to be unreliable and not trustworthy .

Britain is just hurting it's own reputation and it's possible future relations with european countries .

A massive ' loss of face ' ... but who cares ...?

Absolutely.

i chose too depart UK , and live in Thailand .

In summary , i do not vote on UK, elections, because i do not live in UK ..

Who cares , not me ..

Edited by elliss
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I wonder who edited that wiki ?

I haven't a clue, I wouldn't have the first idea how to go about that. That said, Wiki's statements are backed up by quotes from the various legislative sources, all there to read if you are that concerned.

it seems pretty straightforward to me. Your interpretation seems pretty convoluted to me, and you claims about packed committees and what they may or may not do purely speculative. I will stick with the straightforward interpretations.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

I haven't a clue, I wouldn't have the first idea how to go about that.

it seems pretty straightforward to me. Your interpretation seems pretty convoluted to me, and you claims about packed committees and what they may or may not do purely speculative. I will stick with the straightforward interpretations.

I wish what you say were true but it is not.

Actually thats not right. I'm more than happy to see Westminster take a dump all over the constitutional arrangements of the UK. It makes my life easier.

But if YOU had to speculate do you think it would make sense for that committee to be made up of English Conservative MP's or Scottish nationalist MP's?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I wish what you say were true but it is not.

Actually thats not right. I'm more than happy to see Westminster take a dump all over the constitutional arrangements of the UK. It makes my life easier.

But if YOU had to speculate do you think it would make sense for that committee to be made up of English Conservative MP's or Scottish nationalist MP's?

I don't really wish to speculate, other than to say that as the Conservative Party has a substantial majority I rather expect that would be reflected in the various committees which conduct the governments business. That is rather the way it works, no matter which party is in government.

Anyway, with independence coming, and made so much easier by this(?), who is worried. As I have said before, I wish you would get on with it, I really do.

Meanwhile, if the Scottish Government wish to indulge in taking the UK Government to court, well then I suppose the cry is "fill yer boots". If the case were to fail, would Scotland have to pay the costs?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I don't really wish to speculate, other than to say that as the Conservative Party has a substantial majority I rather expect that would be reflected in the various committees which conduct the governments business. That is rather the way it works, no matter which party is in government.

Anyway, with independence coming, and made so much easier by this(?), who is worried. As I have said before, I wish you would get on with it, I really do.

Thanks for that.

What I dont understand is why these clauses in what was essentially a bill to counter a dispute with the EU were even included.

Would you consider these acts to be fair? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Thanks for that.

What I dont understand is why these clauses in what was essentially a bill to counter a dispute with the EU were even included.

Would you consider these acts to be fair? 

They may have possibly have been formulated to prevent the Scottish Government from colluding with the EU to undermine the UK's negotiations. Remember that these are intended as reserve powers rather than policies.

Early start tomorrow. Good night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

They may have possibly have been formulated to prevent the Scottish Government from colluding with the EU to undermine the UK's negotiations. Remember that these are intended as reserve powers rather than policies.

Early start tomorrow. Good night.

Yeah I gotta run too but I will leave you with this.

4 SQN 7 Sigs > all ????

8 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

More likely he agreed the WA to get Brexit done, knowing full well we could introduce legislation later on that would protect the UK from any dirty tricks from the EU.

So you are saying that your PM not only is breaking international law, he also tricked your parliament?

Clever I'd say. 

Not surprised that Brexiteers celebrate fraud as “clever”. After all, the whole Brexit was built on fraud from beginning till now. Without all the voter manipulation, Brexiteers wouldn’t have been able to get a majority in the first place, so the fraud needs to continue. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

So you are saying that your PM not only is breaking international law, he also tricked your parliament?

Not surprised that Brexiteers celebrate fraud as “clever”. After all, the whole Brexit was built on fraud from beginning till now. Without all the voter manipulation, Brexiteers wouldn’t have been able to get a majority in the first place, so the fraud needs to continue. 

Makes you feel proud to be be British......doesn't it?

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:56 PM, NeoDinosaw said:

He was clearl, and knowingly lying when he said it was oven ready, a great deal, a fantastic deal.  Has the world not leaned that Bonkin' Boris cannot tell the truth ?

they (are) will start to see the outcome of their mistakes, more to come

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/more-than-7500-finance-jobs-left-britain-for-europe-brexit-banks

More than 7,500 finance jobs and a trillion pounds in assets have left Britain for the European Union, said consultants EY on Thursday.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

no person can judge a case in which he or she is party or in which he/she has an interest.

Also known as:

• nemo judex in sua causa; or
  • nemo debet esse judex in propria causa.

We have no reason to recognize that court. They have already shown themselves to have done that before and are therefore corrupt.

do you know the UK still under EU law/regulations until December 31st 2020, thus under law suit correctly filed under ECJ law

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1264260/Brexit-UK-supreme-court-ECJ-European-court-of-justice-eu-news-vat-ruling

This judgement illustrates the vital need to modify the parts of the withdrawal agreement, which will require the UK to be bound by rulings of the ECJ after the transition period ends on December 31 this year.”

https://www.cookiebot.com/en/uk-gdpr/

Well, now that the United Kingdom has left the European Union , the Withdrawal Agreement will be in effect until the end of the transition period, likely on December 31, 2020.

• Like 1