​​​​​​​Request guidance to set-up Portable "free" Linux Computer – & with minimal No. of essential App.s – onto USB Flash-Drive Memory Stick

Our Man in the Tropics

Dear Fellow Thaivisa Posters,

I would greatly appreciate yer kind positive constructive relevant replies to the following task I need to accomplish ;

choicest "free" Linux Operating System, & Libre Office & minimal no. of whatever other essential "free" App.s yee recommend, loaded onto a USB Flash-Drive Memory Stick such that I can reliably, & easily, repeatedly use that USB Flash-Drive Memory Stick as personal computer when I physically connect it into another computer anywhere [ e.g. intenet-cafe computer ] for use on internet & offline.

Regrettably,- I realise that I may need baby-step guidance ;

Because,- my computer skills are so lacking in this aspect.

Thanking yee all in advance for all yer help.

Kind Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

google is your friend
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-os-on-usb-drive/

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/

not sure what your use case is, Tails is also another option
"
Tails is a portable operating system that protects against surveillance and censorship. · Avoid surveillance, censorship, advertising, and viruses"
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/installation/

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1

Ubuntu is the Linux distribution best suited to beginners. You may be able to buy a USB flash drive with Ubuntu pre-installed.

58 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

repeatedly use that USB Flash-Drive Memory Stick as personal computer when I physically connect it into another computer anywhere [ e.g. intenet-cafe computer ] for use on internet & offline.

I don't think that is going to work. Most publicly accessible computers are too locked-down. I understand the attraction of what you're trying to do, but it isn't quite as simple as it at first appears.

Regrettably,- I realise that I may need baby-step guidance ;

Because,- my computer skills are so lacking in this aspect.

It might be an idea to reconsider whether this is something you want to invest time into not only creating but, also, maintaining.

choicest "free" Linux Operating System, & Libre Office & minimal no. of whatever other essential "free" App.s yee recommend

You would be far better off with a cheap, light Chromebook that you can use in any cafe, airport, hotel or anywhere else offering WiFi. I like Linux but would not suggest it to anyone without a reasonable amount of existing technical knowledge. My mother happily used one for the last decade of her life and never needed my help.

The Chrome OS using by Chromebooks is far more user-friendly and requires no anti-virus software. Use the free Google apps for writing, accounting, planning etc. They will work fine even when you are offline. Pretty much zero expertise or maintenance required, the operating system updates itself in the background. Looking on Lazada, Chromebooks cost between 4 and 10 thousand baht and it should last for years.

Avoid Windows if you possibly can. Maintaining a Windows computer soaks up a lot of time and appears to be getting worse.

If you can afford it, a smaller, lighter, and even more user-friendly option than a Chromebook is the new iPad announced just two weeks ago. It is now available throughout Thailand for 10,900 baht.

Pairing an iPad with a keyboard case gives you a nice, compact, and reliable workstation. You can even get a cellular version. A nice side benefit is that iPads are more comfortable for casual use such as reading, watching videos, and playing games.

Again, they last for years and you will almost certainly end up using it a lot more than you realize. Personally, if I did not already have an iPad Pro, I would consider the also newly released iPad Air, but that is twice the price of the regular iPad. I would also buy the Magic keyboard and the Apple Pencil, which allows you to enter text by simply writing.

One final note. You could also use your Chromebook or iPad anywhere that your phone has a connection to the Internet. You use your phone to create a local WiFi "hotspot" and connect to that. That frees you to work even when there is no public WiFi available.

Edited by donnacha
  • Thanks 1

I reply with a post initially to donnacha because I need to rush to clarify that I really want such a small computer ;

Indeed,- I want many 

I want them for various of my projects & email accounts.

Thank you for mentioning ;

"Most publically accessible computers are too locked-down."

I welcome such serious considerations at this stage ;

Because,- I will be better prepared to overcome them when I need to.

I hope that others will today start :

A_

creating Portable "free" Linux Computer – & with minimal No. of essential App.s – onto USB Flash-Drive Memory Sticks

B_

updating this thread as to their ongoing progress, & learning-curve obstacles, accordingly.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

Ubuntu is the Linux distribution best suited to beginners. You may be able to buy a USB flash drive with Ubuntu pre-installed.

I don't think that is going to work. Most publicly accessible computers are too locked-down. I understand the attraction of what you're trying to do, but it isn't quite as simple as it at first appears.

It might be an idea to reconsider whether this is something you want to invest time into not only creating but, also, maintaining.

You would be far better off with a cheap, light Chromebook that you can use in any cafe, airport, hotel or anywhere else offering WiFi. I like Linux but would not suggest it to anyone without a reasonable amount of existing technical knowledge. My mother happily used one for the last decade of her life and never needed my help.

The Chrome OS using by Chromebooks is far more user-friendly and requires no anti-virus software. Use the free Google apps for writing, accounting, planning etc. They will work fine even when you are offline. Pretty much zero expertise or maintenance required, the operating system updates itself in the background. Looking on Lazada, Chromebooks cost between 4 and 10 thousand baht and it should last for years.

Avoid Windows if you possibly can. Maintaining a Windows computer soaks up a lot of time and appears to be getting worse.

If you can afford it, a smaller, lighter, and even more user-friendly option than a Chromebook is the new iPad announced just two weeks ago. It is now available throughout Thailand for 10,900 baht.

Pairing an iPad with a keyboard case gives you a nice, compact, and reliable workstation. You can even get a cellular version. A nice side benefit is that iPads are more comfortable for casual use such as reading, watching videos, and playing games.

Again, they last for years and you will almost certainly end up using it a lot more than you realize. Personally, if I did not already have an iPad Pro, I would consider the also newly released iPad Air, but that is twice the price of the regular iPad. I would also buy the Magic keyboard and the Apple Pencil, which allows you to enter text by simply writing.

One final note. You could also use your Chromebook or iPad anywhere that your phone has a connection to the Internet. You use your phone to create a local WiFi "hotspot" and connect to that. That frees you to work even when there is no public WiFi available.

I couldn't even finish your post it was so bad. He just wanted a bootable linux pen drive.

• Sad 1

No, he doesn't "just want a bootable pen drive", you didn't bother to read what he is actually trying to achieve:

On 9/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, Our Man in the Tropics said:

a USB Flash-Drive Memory Stick such that I can reliably, & easily, repeatedly use that USB Flash-Drive Memory Stick as personal computer when I physically connect it into another computer anywhere [ e.g. intenet-cafe computer ] for use on internet & offline.

There is no path from the project you suggested to his stated goal. You probably know that but went ahead and posted links that will do nothing but waste dozens of hours of his time and anyone else who comes across your bad advice. That meets the definition of being a bad post rather more thoroughly than mine.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So which distro did you eventually use and did you succeed?

I can recommend linux mint xfce or ubuntu.

When you write the iso to a usb set the persistence so it can save your information and changes.

Steps are:

• Go to the sites (mint or ubuntu)
  • Download your selected iso onto a pc (my preference is usually xfce)
  • Download rufus portable to your pc (this is used to write the distro iso to the usb key)
  • Plug a usb into the usb port of the pc and format it.
  • Open rufus: select your iso, set persistence to 2,3 or max value GB depending on your usb key size, check that the vol the distro iso will be written is the correct usb key, then press write and let the process complete.
  • Reboot your pc with the usb key inserted, it should boot to the usb but if it boots to windows you need to go into the bios and set the usb as the 1st boot disk.
  • After the usb with the linux distro boots to the splash screen, follow their instruction to  set it up.

It is not really that complicated and once you get into it, linux (especially mint or ubuntu) are quite easy to use.

• Like 2

Hi Userabcd,

That is a very helpful post for me at this moment to re-invigorate this project that I shelved until I finished doing major housekeeping of my laptop ;

I decided it best that I backup everything before I start trying to create the Bootable "Linux" Operating System based USB Pen Drive ;

And,- ahead of doing the backup,- it would be wise to accomplish excellent housekeeping.

I am ever so close to finishing that housekeeping, & thence the backup.

Hope to update this thread during next week with positive result.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics
  • Thanks 1

Check out Ventoy if you want multiple linux installations (or multiple OS's) on the same USB drive... 

You don't specify what "Projects" you want your Linux OS for but if it's anything to do with Hacking, Penetration Testing, etc.... then Kali Linux would be the way to go & you can download a "Live" (USB Bootable) version from the Kali org site (https://www.kali.org/docs/usb/kali-linux-live-usb-install/)  

Edited by Mike Teavee
Typos
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 6:59 PM, donnacha said:

No, he doesn't "just want a bootable pen drive", you didn't bother to read what he is actually trying to achieve:

There is no path from the project you suggested to his stated goal. You probably know that but went ahead and posted links that will do nothing but waste dozens of hours of his time and anyone else who comes across your bad advice. That meets the definition of being a bad post rather more thoroughly than mine.

??

Are you confused? No path from my links to his suggested goal?? You need to read again and to definitely stop recommending Chromebooks when what was asked for was a portable OS.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 12:18 PM, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Hi Userabcd,

That is a very helpful post for me at this moment to re-invigorate this project that I shelved until I finished doing major housekeeping of my laptop ;

I decided it best that I backup everything before I start trying to create the Bootable "Linux" Operating System based USB Pen Drive ;

And,- ahead of doing the backup,- it would be wise to accomplish excellent housekeeping.

I am ever so close to finishing that housekeeping, & thence the backup.

Hope to update this thread during next week with positive result.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Problem is that you don't want such a large Distro for a Portable OS. Puppy Linux is more suitable.

http://puppylinux.com/index.html

• Like 1

Apologies for delay in returning to lastest posts ;

I have been busy nursing a physical ailment ;

Now, having some respite,- I can respond.

IMPORTANT INFO. TO INFORM THIS THREAD ;

A returned emigre from Anglophone-lands ???? Thai technician informed me that he previously created a "working" Installation of Windows [ Windows 10,- I think ] on a Portable USB Pen Flash Drive that worked fine in the beginning but over a few months deteriorated in performance, & finally could not function at all.

He thinks that Microsoft has online system to sabotage such installations ;

So, with all of above in mind coupled with my own difficulties in trying to accomplish an installation,- I decided to switch to installing Linux.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

On 11/15/2020 at 1:09 PM, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Apologies for delay in returning to lastest posts ;

I have been busy nursing a physical ailment ;

Now, having some respite,- I can respond.

IMPORTANT INFO. TO INFORM THIS THREAD ;

A returned emigre from Anglophone-lands ???? Thai technician informed me that he previously created a "working" Installation of Windows [ Windows 10,- I think ] on a Portable USB Pen Flash Drive that worked fine in the beginning but over a few months deteriorated in performance, & finally could not function at all.

He thinks that Microsoft has online system to sabotage such installations ;

So, with all of above in mind coupled with my own difficulties in trying to accomplish an installation,- I decided to switch to installing Linux.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Ah. Well, I doubt Microsoft is sabotaging anything purposely, just accidentally. M'soft lets you use Win 10 free anyway, with a nag and a few non-essential things disabled.

Sounds like par for a USB stick, however, as I mentioned above. You could install Windows on an external drive, preferably an SSD, and you wouldn't have that problem. 'Course, users' Win installations slow down anyway as they get clogged up over time. Then they think they need to buy new computers.????

You can just create a new Win stick using:

https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/#:~:text=WinToUSB (also called Windows To USB) is the,hard drive%2C USB flash drive or Thunderbolt drive.

Then configure it to your needs. Then make an image using:

https://www.howtogeek.com/446176/how-to-create-an-image-of-your-usb-drive/

And the next time your stick dies, get a new one the same size and restore your old image to it.

• Like 1

Hi BigStar,

Thanks for very stimulating constructive reply ;

I have no time yet to view the URLs ;

But,- view them I surely will.

Re ; A particular sentence in ur most recent post

"... 'Course, users' Win installations slow down anyway as they get clogged up over time. ... "

1_

Even pre-installed Windows Operating Systems ?

2_

What do u recommend for :

2_1_

preventing the "clogging" ?

2_2_

un-clogging the "clogging" ?

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

1 hour ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Hi BigStar,

Thanks for very stimulating constructive reply ;

I have no time yet to view the URLs ;

But,- view them I surely will.

Re ; A particular sentence in ur most recent post

"... 'Course, users' Win installations slow down anyway as they get clogged up over time. ... "

1_

Even pre-installed Windows Operating Systems ?

2_

What do u recommend for :

2_1_

preventing the "clogging" ?

2_2_

un-clogging the "clogging" ?

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

That's a whole 'nother topic, though somebody will probably come along and expound. Best that you first have a Win installation up and running that you intend to keep using.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 6:29 PM, donnacha said:

WHAT? My W10 is running perfectly on two PCs, updates when it needs/wants to. I run Glary utilities every week and back-up with Acronis weekly. All my data is on One Drive. No worries whatsoever.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:44 AM, KannikaP said:

WHAT? My W10 is running perfectly on two PCs, updates when it needs/wants to. I run Glary utilities every week and back-up with Acronis weekly. All my data is on One Drive. No worries whatsoever.

Agreed. If you have the know-how, time, and patience for weekly maintenance, Windows is a perfectably acceptable option.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1

A while ago I d/l Mint and had it on an 8gb flash drive, when booting into that you had the option of either installing Mint or just running it off the flash. I tried it out a few times just running off the flash and it was good and worked well.

• Like 1