burning rubbish

opalred

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If Thailand was as developed as Oz, the women wouldn't have sex with us, and we wouldn't have come here.

Anger is a fairly pointless emotion, it harms you more than anyone else.

When you feel angry have a lie down, watch some TV, or have a beer.

You'll feel far better than getting angry about something you can't change. 

Sad but true. 

Mostly I've made peace with a lot of the foolishness here (except for the road carnage), but must admit that by the 6th week or so of the burning season I curse for a while after going outside in the morning. 

I also cringe thinking about how raking and burning tree leaves in the late autumn was a tradition in America when I was a boy. In suburbs and rural areas many people burned their garbage weekly. Plastic was not common then though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicken George said:

We have our rubbish collected then burned one kilometer outside our village. Only thing we can do is recycle what we can.

Yeah, we pay like 100B a year for waste - the tessaban come around and collect it. 

The collectors used to take the rubbish to an incinerator out of town. Trades people could take their waste there, to be burnt.

They closed the incinerator, so now the trades people throw their <deleted> in the general direction of our residential bins, people come from far in trucks to dump rubbish at the end of the soi, under the trees, then every month or so, the Tessaban come and set light to it then put up a notice saying they will fine fly tippers 2000B. 

2 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

damn, I pay almost 30.000 baht for security, trash collection a year in a moo baan

Wow. Seriously, that sounds very high. I hope it's worth the cost. That would be hard for me to swallow. If they don't allow burning it might be worth the cost. 

And  here I am griping about paying $1,500 in May to get decent medical insurance to renew my OA extension of stay. You've put things on perspective for me. 

7 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Yeah, we pay like 100B a year for waste - the tessaban come around and collect it. 

The collectors used to take the rubbish to an incinerator out of town. Trades people could take their waste there, to be burnt.

They closed the incinerator, so now the trades people throw their <deleted> in the general direction of our residential bins, people come from far in trucks to dump rubbish at the end of the soi, under the trees, then every month or so, the Tessaban come and set light to it then put up a notice saying they will fine fly tippers 2000B. 

That really sucks. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Another selfish poster. Not everyone has the transport to drive to a rubbish collector.

It's true. Before I got a car I had to put a dripping smelly garbage bag on my motorcy and take it to a bin. I didn't enjoy doing it every few days. I started to compost my kitchen waste but realized it was drawing mice who were digging it up. It was a rental house and wasn't going to invest in real composting barrels etc. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Morch said:

We got one of the blue plastic trashcans upfront, supposed to be cleared once a week or so. Mostly alright. What's annoying is people using it as theirs - don't mean someone tossing in the odd bag, but people taking their own house garbage. Can get filled pretty quickly. Took to hanging out near the gate when noticing the 'suspects', at things improved without a word being said. I don't really mind all that much, but the Mrs. is a another matter.

Way she sees it, when we were faced with this problem, we took care to throw it either at the temple bins or late night on main streets where they collect daily and early.

We're not burning garbage, separating what's possible, and recycling/reusing (mostly for garden stuff) quite a bit. When we get more settled in I'll make a proper compost bin or two, as well.

Mentioned this discussion to the Mrs., which led to a realization. Our house is on the edge of city limits, and indeed, the amphur. Some services we get from "our" side of the "border", some from "abroad" (water, for example). Turns out the city garbage collection we signed for is actually once in 3 weeks. But - the garbage truck from the other side does a U-Turn in our village and apparently picks our garbage on the way out. I can't tell them apart, and usually being out in the garden when they pass I usually hello and thank them, so guess they figured I was somehow on their turf as well. Or something. There aren't too many foreigners here, so could have noticed me at "their" thesaban too.

But garbage burning is a thing here anyway - people burn whatever, garbage, leaves, grass, clear land, coconut tree bits, sometimes just air pollution from the factories further up. Not too bad, most times.

At least some of the garbage collected though, is dumped near one of the back canals, and burned. I don't know if it's sanctioned by the city or just how the workers want it.

Edited by Morch

On 9/29/2020 at 7:59 PM, BritManToo said:

If Thailand was as developed as Oz, the women wouldn't have sex with us, and we wouldn't have come here.

Anger is a fairly pointless emotion, it harms you more than anyone else.

When you feel angry have a lie down, watch some TV, or have a beer.

You'll feel far better than getting angry about something you can't change. 

Sad but true. 

Mostly I've made peace with a lot of the foolishness here (except for the road carnage), but must admit that by the 6th week or so of the burning season I curse for a while after going outside in the morning. 

I also cringe thinking about how raking and burning tree leaves in the late autumn was a tradition in America when I was a boy. In suburbs and rural areas many people burned their garbage weekly. Plastic was not common then though. 

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Sad but true. 

we  only burned witches when i was a kid

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And if you not even have the means to do that, why start talking about it like living in Thailand. Would a normal person not need the be green in US or UK as well?

MORONS!!!!!

I do not understand your post. Sorry.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 2

As long as we're talking about burning and smoke. 

Anybody foolish or fearless enough to argue with their Lady about burning handfuls of joss sticks to the Buddha statue in the mini-shrine inside the house? 

No? Yeah, I didn't think so. 

Ah, don't you love the smell of incense in the morning? ????????

Edited by RocketDog
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

As long as we're talking about burning and smoke. 

Anybody foolish or fearless enough to argue with their Lady about burning handfuls of joss sticks to the Buddha statue in the mini-shrine inside the house? 

No? Yeah, I didn't think so. 

Ah, don't you love the smell of insense in the morning? ????????

I actually don't mind it, sometimes they use scented ones that are nice. In MiL's place, that is.

Here in our new home, the Mrs. declined having a spirit house - a bother to take care of it, and if you do not, apparently some homeless spirit will take residence. Not good. I'm just waiting for that major mishap, when the village elders will sagely point to us not having a spirit house as the obvious answer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

I actually don't mind it, sometimes they use scented ones that are nice. In MiL's place, that is.

Here in our new home, the Mrs. declined having a spirit house - a bother to take care of it, and if you do not, apparently some homeless spirit will take residence. Not good. I'm just waiting for that major mishap, when the village elders will sagely point to us not having a spirit house as the obvious answer.

Well heเเ, when you put it that way I'm happy to stumble thru the smoke to take a piรร in the morning. 

• Haha 1

On 9/29/2020 at 8:43 AM, NE1 said:

Cans , bottles ( plastic and glass ) and boxes are in a seperate drum . They are given to an old man in the village .

The plastic bags and plastic packaging etc gets burnt once a month.

What we call rubbish , is something that nobody has any use for.

Only morons burn plastic.

3 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Call the fire department and report a fire. They’ll have the police come to write them a ticket. As far as I know it’s illegal to burn rubbish everywhere in Thailand. 

Add it to prostitution, taking bribes, alcohol sales out of hours, etc.

Thai rural villages stick their rubbish in a pit, then burn it periodically. They don't have fire departments or police, they have poo yais.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, whaleboneman said:
On 9/29/2020 at 10:43 PM, NE1 said:

Cans , bottles ( plastic and glass ) and boxes are in a seperate drum . They are given to an old man in the village .

The plastic bags and plastic packaging etc gets burnt once a month.

What we call rubbish , is something that nobody has any use for.

Only morons burn plastic.

Do you live out in the country where there is no garbage collection? If so you can relate.

All our waste food goes to the local pig man . The cardboard/paper , tin cans , plastic and glass bottles go to the local old guy who collects from the house.

When the wife buys meat and fish and other wettish products from the market the bags stink after a couple of days then all the flies come .

The normal thing to do is burn it or as a lot of people do , throw it in the hedgerows and dykes.

But please , instead of just calling somebody a moron , make a viable suggestion . Take into consideration that we have no land apart from what the house stands on.

Awaiting your response.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 3:58 AM, RocketDog said:

Wow. Seriously, that sounds very high. I hope it's worth the cost. That would be hard for me to swallow. If they don't allow burning it might be worth the cost. 

And  here I am griping about paying $1,500 in May to get decent medical insurance to renew my OA extension of stay. You've put things on perspective for me. 

3000 bht to an agent took care of the ins requirement for my OA extension. Food for thought.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

3000 bht to an agent took care of the ins requirement for my OA extension. Food for thought.

Two things about that. 

That approach doesn't actually provide any insurance. I got Pacific Cross with a 100k deductible that actually provides coverage and is acknowkedged as a solid company.

At my age it seems a good idea to have real insurance. Who knows? There is always the extremely remote possibility that I could be involved in a traffic accident here in the Kingdom. I know, a silly idea for sure. ????

Second, what happens down the road if immigration notices that the agent manipulated the system? I don't want to live looking over my shoulder all the time. 

But it's an individual decision and I'm glad it worked for you. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Two things about that. 

That approach doesn't actually provide any insurance. I got Pacific Cross with a 100k deductible that actually provides coverage and is acknowkedged as a solid company.

At my age it seems a good idea to have real insurance. Who knows? There is always the extremely remote possibility that I could be involved in a traffic accident here in the Kingdom. I know, a silly idea for sure. ????

Second, what happens down the road if immigration notices that the agent manipulated the system? I don't want to live looking over my shoulder all the time. 

But it's an individual decision and I'm glad it worked for you. 

I have blue cross,blue shield from fed job in states. For me it was just easier.