Earthing system in Thailand

Kenny202

On 9/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, Kenny202 said:

Any advice appreciated

You shall only earth one item in your music equipment – typically the mixing console, or in your case the pre-amplifier/amplifier – and everything else shall be screened to that point. Otherwise you might build up so-called earth-loops with hum & noise.

Earth shall normally be a proper earth spike.

If you are running any audio connections balanced, you can use a screen-lift/earth-lift to reduce hum & noise; i.e. you use +/- signal wires only, but only screened at one end; preferably from the earthed mixer, which in you case would be pre-amplifier/amplifier.

If you are using a tube/valve amplifier then reversing the power plug might reduce hum – i.e. change mains Live and Neutral – to my knowledge, there are no good explanation why, but it sometimes help; an often used trick by guitar players.

PS: Before I moved to Thailand I worked with pro-audio.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 5:08 AM, bodga said:

and ive  found over time the wire  nut  plastic  disintegrates

You can also buy wire nuts with metal connector inserts, so if plastic disintegrates connection stays sound, but exposed live circuit, Wrap in tape when initially installing connection. 

If you are a real Hi-Fi-geek – or a just an audio professional – you would never use mains power's earth, but always have a separate "clean" earth for the audio system; anything else connected to mains power's earth might induce clicks when starting/stopping, like compressors and refridgerators. Just an extra hint for perfect sound reproduction...:thumbsup:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, talahtnut said:

The Chinese tennant left a genius example of Asian economical,

baffling, electrical engineering in the missus' shop. 

Regretfully I had to scrap it. <deleted>.

Good idea that you grounded it out to earth using the metal ladder before attempting to defuse it, cause you never know if the breaker or wall switch is wired on the Live or on the Neutral. 

Great perspective angle shot from the camera.