Jump to content

Switching from Non-B to Non-O (Thai Daughter)


Recommended Posts

Hi all!

 

I'm in a semi-worrying situation that I'm hoping to get some clarity on. I currently work as a teacher on a Non-B, but have accepted a remote working job with an American company. I wanted to know the best way to handle this so that everything is legal.

 

1. I have a two year old Thai daughter who is financially dependent on me. I am not married to the mother, but we have a good relationship and I have a court order declaring me as the legal father. Am I right in thinking that a Non-O Guardian visa is the way forward here?

 

2. If so, what about tax? I'm assuming I would need a work permit and possibly a Thai accountant? I plan on living in Thailand permanently, and the job is not one that could be taken by a Thai citizen.

 

3. What is the best way to process this? I assume via a visa agent? Anyone have any rough ideas of what this would cost?

 

Please feel free to ask any extra questions or point out if I'm being stupid about anything here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. You could change to a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai (a guardian visa or extension does not exist).

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income to apply.

2. You could get a work with the extension of stay I mentioned above but you have to be working for a registered company to apply for it.

3. You don't need an agent to change the reason for you extension of stay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. You could change to a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai (a guardian visa or extension does not exist).

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income to apply.

2. You could get a work with the extension of stay I mentioned above but you have to be working for a registered company to apply for it.

3. You don't need an agent to change the reason for you extension of stay.

Thank you so much for your help Joe! Based on your answers I have a couple more questions that I was wondering if I could draw upon your expertise for...

 

1. So I could stay on my current Non-B and just extend it? I assumed it would be cancelled when I leave my school in a few weeks, but that might be wrong.

 

2. I earn over 40k a month at my current job. I will also earn more than that at my new job, but won't have payslips as I haven't started it yet. Do you know if I could use bank statements from my current job or an employment contract from my new job?

 

3. The company I'm working for is registered in the US but not Thailand. Is that okay?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Daddio27 said:

1. So I could stay on my current Non-B and just extend it? I assumed it would be cancelled when I leave my school in a few weeks, but that might be wrong.

 

2. I earn over 40k a month at my current job. I will also earn more than that at my new job, but won't have payslips as I haven't started it yet. Do you know if I could use bank statements from my current job or an employment contract from my new job?

 

3. The company I'm working for is registered in the US but not Thailand. Is that okay?

1. I am sure you do not have a valid non-b visa issued by a embassy or consulate. You have a extension of stay based upon teaching. After it is canceled you can apply for a extension of stay based upon being he parent of a Thai.

2/3 You will not be able to use any income earned here without having a work permit and proof of tax payments to prove it. Foreign income can be used it you have proof of the 40k baht being transferred into the country from abroad.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. I am sure you do not have a valid non-b visa issued by a embassy or consulate. You have a extension of stay based upon teaching. After it is canceled you can apply for a extension of stay based upon being he parent of a Thai.

2/3 You will not be able to use any income earned here without having a work permit and proof of tax payments to prove it. Foreign income can be used it you have proof of the 40k baht being transferred into the country from abroad.

 

1. You are correct - it looks like I entered the country on a Non-B in April 2019, but now have an extension of stay until April 2021. That's fantastic to know that I don't have to switch visa and can just apply for an extension of stay.

 

2/3. For my current job that's no problem - I'm at an international school with a work permit, payslips, tax, social security deductions etc. I will definitely make sure to transfer 40k+ per month once I get this new job.

 

Thank you so much for your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...