The virus is here to stay!

Raphus

One question that always perplexes me. Corona has run through a lot of countries, it has ravaged the population !! (24th biggest killer in the UK). But we still must have these lockdowns.
I believe Thailand is a ticking timebomb, and when the virus does eventually come, it will pass through the nation as it has everywhere else. Holding out now I feel has put Thailand in a worse position, as when it does come and does go through LOS, they will have to lockdown again, making further and more economical disasters to the country that already exist today with the 20% GDP figures. (Bangkok post puts it at 14% - 2019 - https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1850904/virus-imperils-thai-economy)
According to the secretary-general of the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Council in 2019, the government projects that the tourism sector will account for 30% of GDP by 2030, up from 20% in 2019.
Countries such as France, Germany, Spain, and the UK are starting to see protests as to why these lockdowns are necessary, especially when countries such as Sweden (where most people followed the Governments advice and kept social distancing without wearing masks).
Therefore, why are we all globally running away from a virus that is here to stay. When it does finally enter into Thailand, it will cause further economic devastation, as it will not be possible to hold this virus out for much longer.
Please feel free to watch another video recently from Richard Madely (Another UK TV presenter) stating that running away from the virus will only harm our freedoms and our living styles further.
Source: 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 473geo said:

It's a bit late for the 47 who died in the UK today to run anywhere, the message is simple, if you feel you are at risk, better look after yourself as best you can. If that means less visits to public places, distancing at every possible opportunity, wearing a mask, taking the virus seriously, then that is as it should be. Your life is in your hands.

For those that do not feel at risk by all means live your lives as best you can, with we hope just a little consideration for those not in a position to feel they can do the same.

Not stating I should be free and easy. Plus put myself at risk. But statistics are now evident and proof that COVID is WAY DOWN as the 24th Biggest killer in the UK.
Moreover, I do not live in the UK as a Brit.

The Thai government seem to have deluded themselves into believing that a vaccine will cause Covid-19 to just disappear. It won't because it won't be anywhere near 100% effective and not everyone will want to get it so eventually Covid-19 will come back to Thailand. However, for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to be spreading in this region. A few hundred cases pop up and then just disappear every now and again like in Thailand back in March or now in Burma. Maybe it's the weather or maybe it's just because coronaviruses are very common in this part of the world so people have immunity against them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Raphus said:

Not stating I should be free and easy. Plus put myself at risk. But statistics are now evident and proof that COVID is WAY DOWN as the 24th Biggest killer in the UK.
Moreover, I do not live in the UK as a Brit.

Ok so bungi jumping is not such a big killer, I've done it, I survived, but when my parachute jump was postponed twice, i decided not to try a third time!! The individual decides to take the chance or not. If you do not put yourself in harms way your chances of survival increase, your life your choice. I live as normal life as is possible at the moment, but am a little careful, rather than carefree.

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Ok so bungi jumping is not such a big killer, I've done it, I survived, but when my parachute jump was postponed twice, i decided not to try a third time!! The individual decides to take the chance or not. If you do not put yourself in harms way your chances of survival increase, your life your choice. I live as normal life as is possible at the moment, but am a little careful, rather than carefree.

I have done 3 jumps in my service. They were scary and fun at the same time. Bunji I did a Joss Bay near Ramsgate hanging out over the cliffs.
Yes, I take my chances. But what is evident, and what I was trying to express more than a lot of sub chats was that the virus isn't going away. When it does arrive in Thailand soon (when they finally publish figures), It will make the powers that be more wary, as the old military school are so worried that they might catch it.. Hence the complete closure of Thailand. 

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

maybe it's just because coronaviruses are very common in this part of the world so people have immunity against them.

Thailand should be testing this hypothesis in the hopes of easing fear in the population. I used to get sick routinely when I first arrived in Thailand but it has subsided over the years as I presumably get immunity to the new virus' and bacteria in the region.

19 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Agree, Thailand is fresh kindling for the virus, just like forests in California after Democratic mis-management.  Let's build that immunity the old fashioned way! ????

PCR and false positives and all tests that are just a big bunch of mish mash...
It seems that Most senior medical scientists are now seeing and stating that more people are dying of cnacer and other related diseases, than corona...
BUT WE HAVE TO HAVE A PAPER TO PROVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Numbers are not enough with the general education of addition and subtraction !!!

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

as my mind and body start to fail, I look forward to death.

I am 72 and don't look forward to death. 

However not afraid of. 

The day I will consider it as enough, I am aware of ways. 

24 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

It has till now been signed by over 600 doctors and over 1700 other medical professionals, and it is spreading now to other countries.

Yes its ok , but i did not know Belgium even have so many doctor's! If you can sign up anonymously how you know who sign that?

On 9/30/2020 at 1:26 AM, RubbaJohnny said:

No disrespect I'd sooner get medical advice from Drs, would you get a haircut from a plumber,? marrriage guidance from a massuese.....

If the plumber can cut hair? Sure.
If the massuese provides insight and advice regarding my marriage? Sure.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 1:54 AM, edwardandtubs said:

The Thai government seem to have deluded themselves into believing that a vaccine will cause Covid-19 to just disappear. It won't because it won't be anywhere near 100% effective and not everyone will want to get it so eventually Covid-19 will come back to Thailand. However, for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to be spreading in this region. A few hundred cases pop up and then just disappear every now and again like in Thailand back in March or now in Burma. Maybe it's the weather or maybe it's just because coronaviruses are very common in this part of the world so people have immunity against them.

It isn't about immunity as there have been few foreigners deaths from it here. And a lot have only been here for just a year or more. Maybe it went through in January, as I had some weird symptoms I've never experienced before, and they dodged a bullet because it was a mild strain. Weather has nothing to do with it besides the Vitamin D from a lot of sun. Thais aren't huggers and a lot wear masks anyway, but the way they eat would or will kill thousands. Nothing will stop this from spreading because there will always be people who either sneak into the country or allowed because they have money.

On 9/30/2020 at 3:56 AM, RoadWarrior371 said:

Agree, Thailand is fresh kindling for the virus, just like forests in California after Democratic mis-management.  Let's build that immunity the old fashioned way! ????

Forest fires are caused mostly by irresponsible humans, meaning smokers. It has nothing to do with a political party. Building homes in areas outside of the cities where rain isn't plentiful is a disaster in the making. The same goes for people who are killed by mountain lions because they now live in the lions territory. Someone throws a cigarette out the window of a car, doesn't put out a campfire properly or an arsonist is <deleted> off at rich people destroying forests to build their houses and the fire starts. Remote locations and mountainous terrain make it hard for responders to fight the fire and dry conditions make it spread fast.

On 9/30/2020 at 1:07 AM, Raphus said:

I believe Thailand is a ticking timebomb, and when the virus does eventually come, it will pass through the nation as it has everywhere else.

Actually, given that there is virtually no testing here, what you may find out is the virus has already arrived and passed through the nation as it has everywhere else, and most Thais now have immunity to Sars-Cov-2.
Over the last 6 month most people in our region have dealt with more than one instance of upper respiratory infection. So much for the effectiveness of masks as habitual mask wearers contracted it too.  The local hospitals just assure everyone that what they are experiencing is a cold and send them home.  Everyone I know in the our village and temple have had at least one instance of upper respiratory infection and some people more than once.
Now, if we were in the US or UK, the mantra would be "testing, testing, testing...".  But not here.  The mantra here is "Thai people clean, no have Covid."
So personally?  I think it's been here and gone.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yes its ok , but i did not know Belgium even have so many doctor's! If you can sign up anonymously how you know who sign that?

There are almost 35.000 doctors in Belgium (a country with almost 10 million inhabitants).  So 600 is less than 2%, but the Open Letter is gaining track.

Everyone (doctors, medical professionals and the public) have the option to support the initiative anonymously in case they did not want to put their name and township on the site (unfortunately in some academic circles openly supporting it might still backfire on you). 

But the list with names are openly on display on the website, so you can even check whether your local doctor or medic did support it > https://docs4opendebate.be/en/

Edited by Peter Denis

On 9/30/2020 at 1:45 AM, Raphus said:

NBut statistics are now evident and proof that COVID is WAY DOWN as the 24th Biggest killer in the UK.

And interestingly enough the UK has been caught juking the statistics.  The UK and US have such high "Covid deaths" due to the manner in which the define a Covid death.  Lies, da*m lies, and statistics as they say.

On 9/30/2020 at 1:54 AM, edwardandtubs said:

The Thai government seem to have deluded themselves into believing that a vaccine will cause Covid-19 to just disappear.

If vaccines were the answer, then the flu would be eradicated.  It's not. Nor will Sars-Cov-2.  Humans will adapt.  But there is no money in allowing the human immune system to do its job.  Don't for a second think that Big Pharma wants to eradicate Sars-Cov-2 or any other virus.  Viruses make vaccines a trillion dollar cash cow for the industry.  Anytime you get around a capitalist look out!  Profits trump reality, therefore reality must be massaged into the appropriate narrative and forcefully accepted by all.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

The fact we have some people on this thread saying the virus will still come to Thailand and others saying it has already been is clearly a result of the Thai authorities not having published significant and credible figures about the virus. 

Since there has been insufficient testing we just do not know what the real figures for the virus were, if there was a wave one or wave 2.

What we do know is that excess deaths in Thailand are between 2000 and 8000. That is not vastly different to many countries where the virus has not ravaged in great numbers but which had the virus.

It is becoming increasingly clear that the panic-mongers and their politician enablers have been very wrong, and I support the OPs general thrust that excessive virus restrictions should be done away with. Of course this means the Covards will defame you as "right wing", "conspiracy theorist" or hard-hearted, because they will use any slur and any accusation to get you to toe the line because they think that will save their lives.

Ultimately, unless the rabid fear goes down and common sense returns we will see the madness continue. Witness UK.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 1:26 AM, RubbaJohnny said:

No disrespect I'd sooner get medical advice from Drs, would you get a haircut from a plumber,? marrriage guidance from a massuese.....

I agree with the first 2 but IF the masseuse offered a happy ending with the marriage guidance, I may be tempted  :wai:

On 9/30/2020 at 1:45 AM, Raphus said:

Raphus

HIV has been here for over 60 years, no vaccine and kills more people than Covid.  The Common Flu has been here for who knows how many centuries and it infects between 5% and 20% of the entire population each and every year and it too kills far more than Covid.  The chances for survival are over 99% from Covid  f you are under age 65 and have no other major health issues. 

In terms of risk, I face a far greater risk of death getting on a scooter or car here in Thailand than I ever face from Covid.  It is likely that Covid will be just another one of the infections that we face getting here and we need to learn to live with it because somehow the idea that Thailand can just isolate itself from the rest of the world will have far greater consequences than Covid. 

Edited by Thomas J
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Raphus

HIV has been here for over 60 years, no vaccine and kills more people than Covid.  The Common Flu has been here for who knows how many centuries and it infects between 5% and 20% of the entire population each and every year and it too kills far more than Covid.  The chances for survival are over 99% from Covid  f you are under age 65 and have no other major health issues. 

In terms of risk, I face a far greater risk of death getting on a scooter or car here in Thailand than I ever face from Covid.  It is likely that Covid will be just another one of the infections that we face getting here and we need to learn to live with it because somehow the idea that Thailand can just isolate itself from the rest of the world will have far greater consequences than Covid. 

21,000 people died 'at the scene' on Thai roads last year.  God only knows how many more in hospitals after the fact.  Literally millions are injured each year.

Say "Covid-19" and a large majority of the fearful lose control of their bladders.
Say "Thai road fatalities" and every grins and shrugs.

Now, define 'insanity' for me people...

• Like 2