Aussies flabbergasted by Pattaya’s inept attempt to bury wires

webfact

2 hours ago, In the jungle said:

When I was planning the underground power supply for an irrigation system here in doing my research I looked at how Australia do this stuff.

They use the kerb as a reference point and all the utilities are under the pavement as opposed to the road.  Dimensions from the kerb are standardised.  So power will be x cm from the kerb and y cm down, water will be w cm from the kerb and z cm down and so on.

Perfectly logical and it means that while the guys digging something up would normally have a drawing to work from even if they don't they are still pretty sure to dig in the right place.

That may be what occurs now in newer areas but hasn’t always been the  the case, from what I recall water mains and some other utilities are often under the roads.

They forever seemed to be digging up the roads in Sydney one group will finish then another group will arrive and do something else no coordination.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Only valid if you are in uniform. :laugh:

That "metal plate sitting 2" (5 cms) or more above the road surface is an accident waiting to happen everywhere they do that. And it is everywhere that they do that. I remember zooming down Sukhumvit when they were working on the tunnel and just past the police box (heading south) they put one of those plates in the left lane. It was like a frikken jump on an Enduro track ! I saw a few cars hit it and nearly catch air as they weren't expecting it to be so high either.

They put them on Khao Noi when they were doing work on the new drainage pipes (again). People zooming towards the railway bypass intersection and suddenly hitting that plate which took up almost the complete lane for a couple meters. It was almost causing accidents from people suddenly slowing down or swerving to avoid it.

It's bad enough when you can see the bloody things. Imagine when they are hidden by a couple inches of water.

Or, as it notes in the article, when the water causes them to shift, leaving a huge gaping hole in the road.

I don't know what it is, but everywhere you go it seems the roadwork is absolute <deleted>. Highway 359 (going to Sa Kaeo) for example. I remember riding on it when it was being resurfaced a few years back and again after it was done. It was nice. For a little while.
Within a couple years there were massive (frikken huge) holes, ridges and sunken sections in parts of the road that I'm sure have resulted in accidents. Most are in the left lane (Westbound) and mostly in the last 30 kms before you get to highway 331. I'm still counting my lucky stars after riding back along there last Spring and 

Soi Khao Noi was resurfaced just before I moved up there. Again, it was nice. For a few weeks. Until everyone and their dog started digging it up to connect new drain pipes, or water lines or who knows what.
It seems that anyone, literally anyone, can simply drop a couple traffic cones on the road, hire Somchai to dig up the road and do (whatever) and then slap some crappy concrete down on top of the hole when it's done and walk away.

No need to consult with the city or get a permit or have the work (and road repair) inspected. No wonder that whole section of Khao Noi from the railway bypass to the Chill mall is in such <deleted> shape.

• Like 2

Just look at the 2 TOT concrete lids they put in the road, opposite foodland when you go downwards Klang, they are an accident waiting to happen.

Anyone taking bets on when they gonna crack from the vibration, with a car stuck inside?