Lost passport now found but cancelled

I’ll keep it simple I stupidly lost my passport. And tried to find it but couldn’t. So, I canceled it. It will take 8 weeks to replace. It was returned to me by someone in my local area who recognized me and knew where I lived. 

So was on the first amnesty but missed the dead line. I’m I covered by the second amnesty and if I go to immigration will the put a stamp in a canceled passport?

Thanks in advance 

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You may be able to have them reverse the cancelation.

Immigration here would not know it was canceled unless they checked to see if it had been canceled.

Tried to do that they said no. So I guess unless there is an amnesty covering those who missed the last one im on overstay 

15 hours ago, johninbkk71 said:

The passport office sent me an email say it is canceled so I can’t use it. 

That doesn't necessarily mean that it has been cancelled. If all you want to do is get a stamp in it from Thai Immigration, it's highly unlikely in the extreme that they would know. But maybe just go to immigration with the passport and email and see what they say?

I once had two passports at same time (UK). One expired so I took it and the other one to immigration to transfer visa. They wouldn't do it because they said the second passport had been issued a year before and I should have transferred stamps then! I tried to get a new passport to replace the expired one: Consulate in HK (which was then processing passport applications for Thai resident Brits) refused because records showed I had another active passport and policy on having two passports had changed. I got them to cancel the 'spare' passport and send me another. They also sent me an email saying the spare one had been 'electronically cancelled'.

Fast forward to two years ago. I went to Passport Office in London to get a new passport using the same day service. I get a hard time because 'computer says no' on grounds that records stated I had 3(!) active passports, one of which was the one supposedly cancelled in HK, another of which was a passport issued a couple of years earlier which was full and had had the corners snipped off at Trendy during replacement. I managed to convince them to give me a new one and properly cancel the others on the system.

Whatever you end up doing, keep the 'cancelled' passport because it can be used as proof of identity. I kept my 'cancelled' passport in a drawer in my office and used it happily for 8 years as POI in banks and the like. If anyone questioned lack of stamps I just said my 'other' passport was at an embassy getting a visa stamp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johninbkk71 said:

Tried to do that they said no. So I guess unless there is an amnesty covering those who missed the last one im on overstay 

You could still do an extension at immigration since it has not been stamped as canceled. Only international travel would be a problem.

You are under the new amnesty that started on the September 27th and allows you to stay to October 31st.

• Like 1

I have used electronically cancelled passports to travel in and out of Thailand more than once and had no issues.

The electronic cancellation is only in force in the issuing authorities database so outside that country to all intents and purposes it remains valid. As BKKBike09 says above you have no way of knowing whether the cancellation has really been effected or not and neither would anyone else.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could still do an extension at immigration since it has not been stamped as canceled. Only international travel would be a problem.

You are under the new amnesty that started on the September 27th and allows you to stay to October 31st.

So even if my visa which expired in June and I missed the amnesty on the 27th I’m on a new amnesty now?

if I go with my canceled passport, police report and appoint to apply for a new passport will I be able to get an extension?

54 minutes ago, johninbkk71 said:

So even if my visa which expired in June and I missed the amnesty on the 27th I’m on a new amnesty now?

if I go with my canceled passport, police report and appoint to apply for a new passport will I be able to get an extension?

The amnesty was backdated to the 27th of September so you still on it now.

Have you done a police report yet? 

All you need is your passport to apply for an extension while waiting for you new passport but there's no rush to do it now since you are now on the amnesty until the 31st.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You may be able to have them reverse the cancelation.

Immigration here would not know it was canceled unless they checked to see if it had been canceled.

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The amnesty was backdated to the 27th of September so you still on it now.

Have you done a police report yet? 

All you need is your passport to apply for an extension while waiting for you new passport but there's no rush to do it now since you are now on the amnesty until the 31st.

Ok I was worrying  my overstay would start on the 27th. The Bangkok post said that it was only for people who got a stamp before the 27th. Which as I said I did not get. That would be an 8 week overstay. 

Thanks for the advice 

24 minutes ago, johninbkk71 said:

Ok I was worrying  my overstay would start on the 27th. The Bangkok post said that it was only for people who got a stamp before the 27th. Which as I said I did not get. That would be an 8 week overstay. 

There has been no overstay since March 26th. They backdated the extension of the amnesty so people would not be on a overstay. I think they intended to do it last week but for some reason it did not make on the agenda for last weeks cabinet meeting.

There has been a lot of incorrect and misleading info in the news lately.

1 minute ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

cancellation for me is :  2 holes in passport and big red stamp on every page INVALID

Did you lose yours too and that is what the finder did to it before giving it back?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, johninbkk71 said:

If you don't say anything about the cancellation to your immigration office, they won't have a clue about it. 

• Like 1