Koh Samui ready to offer a ‘bubble’ for foreign tourists

webfact

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The title on the photo says it is MaeNam beach. Certainly looks like it. First time I arrived there it was on the ferry that used the pier that vanished long ago. After I gave up on Samui I stayed on it when transiting from Phangan to Surat as the ferry from Haad Rin went to Bo Phut and Bo Phut sucked as a beach, IMO. Nice beach, but steep and narrow at high tide. Chaweng was always the best beach on Samui by far, and I expect that hasn't changed.

Indeed it's Maenam, and the plus for being a steep beach is that it's easy swim-able during low tide; the minus is that the sand it slightly yellow, as it's mainly fresh sand from the rivers, not yet washed white and soft. The best plus is that it's not crowded, nor too much concrete – but more than 20-years ago – which of course is a question of opinion and taste, I prefers Maenam at any time...????

The Koh Phangan ferry to Thong Nai Pan is – or rather was until Covid-19 lockdown – sailing every day at noon, they are changing between are three different "Thong Nai Pan Express"-boats; this is the smallest of them landing on Maenam Beach, where there once was a pier, lost long ago to the hungry monsoon waves...

20201007upl_wDSC04988_Thong-Nai-Pan-Express_wh800.jpg.dfe5fd10ae798fd8cd65a617df2c6636.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Here's a few from back in the day.

Than Sadet

Than Sadet

Mae Nam Beach

Mae Nam pier

Sunset in paradise

Thai Goddess emerging from the sea

Samui beach south o Lamai

imageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857f

BUSY TIME OF THE YEAR, THAN SADET.jpg

SAMUI, SOUTH OF LAMAI 1999.jpg

Great photos thank you.

Your first photo is the killer one.

Coconut trees on the island have been decimated by the red palm weevil (Rhynchophorus ferrugineus). It is everywhere. In my garden I had a dozen coconut trees when I built my houses in 2000. Now there are none.

Also lots of bars/restaurants and hotels near the beaches.

But encroachment of the beaches is not that common. Many beaches of the island are still the same. It is the tree line that is different.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 2:32 PM, spidermike007 said:

Samui desperately needs the help. Was recently there. More than 80% of the hotels were closed. 

Thailand needs courageous leadership. They don't have it. The army are major cowards. ANY person from ANY nation should be welcome starting tomorrow, if they are willing to subject themselves to a 14 day quarantine and pay excessive fees for that two week sentence. There is no downside or risk, and only upside for the nation. No begging from a local consulate should be required. That is utter nonsense. A covid free letter and a booking at an approved hotel. Nothing else. No insurance. No groveling. 

Other than for economics I really don't get this attitude of opening the floodgates to a virus that spreads like wildfire. This virus spooks the hell outta me and I dunno if I speak for the silent majority or not, but I really am not for opening up any time soon. I get that businesses are suffering but in the back of my mind I can't help but visualize the hordes of zombies in the walking dead. As far as I am concerned this is just practice for what might be coming next and if it is worse than this we are in for a rude awakening.

• Sad 1

On 10/8/2020 at 5:34 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Great photos thank you.

Your first photo is the killer one.

Coconut trees on the island have been decimated by the red palm weevil (Rhynchophorus ferrugineus). It is everywhere. In my garden I had a dozen coconut trees when I built my houses in 2000. Now there are none.

Also lots of bars/restaurants and hotels near the beaches.

But encroachment of the beaches is not that common. Many beaches of the island are still the same. It is the tree line that is different.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Than Sadet was always my favourite, but being so difficult to get there I went less often than I should have.

I spent many happy hours in Plaas' restaurant watching the big white birds flying over the coconut trees. The place had a vibe I encountered in very few places in my life.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 5:34 AM, Tropicalevo said:

I'm happy to say that encroachment is more rare than common. The first and worst place I discovered has to be Hua HIn where the high tide is too deep to walk through along the beach to the south of the town.

Other than that the encroachment was quite minor. I suppose the huts on Than Sadet beach are almost encroaching past the palms, but even at the highest tide do not stop one walking along without getting wet.

Sadly, my experience of Thai beaches ended some years ago after I got married ( it's hard to go to the beach when the significant other has to work all the time and I didn't want to go by myself ). Happily we did manage a delightful visit to Haad Khom just after the concrete road and 24/7 electric went in, but before the flashpacker accommodation was completed.

BTW, does anyone on here know the story about the Back in Time bar?

22 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Other than for economics I really don't get this attitude of opening the floodgates to a virus that spreads like wildfire. This virus spooks the hell outta me and I dunno if I speak for the silent majority or not, but I really am not for opening up any time soon. I get that businesses are suffering but in the back of my mind I can't help but visualize the hordes of zombies in the walking dead. As far as I am concerned this is just practice for what might be coming next and if it is worse than this we are in for a rude awakening.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that to vaccinate everyone will take too long, if the vaccine even happens, and governments everywhere will be faced with the choice between the Swedish solution ( protect the vulnerable and carry on regardless ) and eternal lockdown and economic catastrophe.

I'm for the Swedish solution.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:30 PM, Scot123 said:

Yes people are going on holiday however I can not see many normal or infact any sane person who will pay vast sums of their holiday money to be incarcerated for 2 weeks where a GPS police style bracelet and now have there every move caught on camera..... Madness

Why a gps tracker?

Anyway, they think we are just monkeys.

Solution is: Only beans allowed, no other food.

They can track us easily.

It's proven.

D0A87A1D-FD93-4D4D-8182-50EB07657565.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 9:16 AM, bodga said:

jesus h christ!!!!!!!!!

dont worry they will all be broken or unusable after 2 months..maintenance ceases to exist in LOS

Ko tao can try a tourist promo...ladies only....2 for 1 murders...dont forget your bikinis!

• Sad 2