Insurance for extension based on Marriage in Jomtien

Dear all, I'm on my forth extension of stay based upon an O-A Visa. This is up for extension during November. I attempt to switch from retirement to marriage extension. There was a rumor from someone here (Pattaya/Jomtien) that you still needed insurance hence the original Visa was an O-A. Does anyone on this forum have experienced  such requirement at Jomtien Immigration or somewhere else in Thailand ?

• Haha 1

In August 2020 I wanted to do my sixth extension of my non-immigrant visa O-A in Khorat (retirement). The official said I needed a Thai health insurance. I showed him my foreign health insurance APRIL MyHealth International Essential (stationary coverage about 30,000,000 Baht). No, I need to have a Thai health insurance and show a "Foreign insurance certificate". Now I have additionally only for this certificate a LMG insurance with 200,000 Baht deductible for 11,400 Baht per year (73 years) - of course totally useless, because the outpatient coverage of 40,000 Baht is not available due to the deductible anyway.

Go get an agent to do it for you. This is the kind of made up inconsistent BS that forces so many of us to use agents.  WE dont use agents to circumvent the rules, we use them to circumvent the many idiot IOs who decide to make up their own rules. 

Edited by Pilotman

1 hour ago, FraZa said:

In August 2020 I wanted to do my sixth extension of my non-immigrant visa O-A in Khorat (retirement). The official said I needed a Thai health insurance. I showed him my foreign health insurance APRIL MyHealth International Essential (stationary coverage about 30,000,000 Baht). No, I need to have a Thai health insurance and show a "Foreign insurance certificate". Now I have additionally only for this certificate a LMG insurance with 200,000 Baht deductible for 11,400 Baht per year (73 years) - of course totally useless, because the outpatient coverage of 40,000 Baht is not available due to the deductible anyway.

Unfortunately for you, the Imm officer was correct.  When applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of RETIREMENT, a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy issued by a TGIA-associated insurer is required.  A non-approved policy from a foreign or non-TGIA associated insurer is not accepted.  So - with borders closed - you had not choice but to subscribe to the cheapest 'throw-away' Thai IO-approved policy (which is indeed the Plan1 policy by LMG Insurance with 200K deductible to which you subscribed).

Note: you wrote that you had to show the Foreign Insurance Certificate, but that is not correct.  You are probably confusing this with the Thai IO-approved health-insurance certificate that your TGIA-associated insurer (LMG) provided you after having subscribed to their Thai IO-approved Non Imm O-A compliant policy.

2 minutes ago, fishtank said:

No such thing.

Well, let's just say I have an old underlying OA Visa from 2008 which I did around dozen retirement extension of stay on and I have switched to a marriage extension of stay with that same old underlying OA visa.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FraZa said:

Non-Immigrant O-A / Retirement?

9 hours ago, Toxane said:

Non-O / Marriage

Only the combination original Non Imm O-A Visa AND for reason of Retirement requires the mandatory Thai IO-required health-insurance when applying for the 1-year extension.

Extending a different type/category Visa (like Non Imm O) OR applying for a different reason (e.g. Marriage, dependent child) does not require that health-insurance requirement.

On 9/30/2020 at 3:30 PM, spetersen said:

Dear all, I'm on my forth extension of stay based upon an O-A Visa. This is up for extension during November. I attempt to switch from retirement to marriage extension.

OK, can you tell me, what documents I need when I want to change my O-A-extension from retirement to marriage? Or where I can find it.

15 minutes ago, FraZa said:

OK, can you tell me, what documents I need when I want to change my O-A-extension from retirement to marriage? Or where I can find it.

Here's a checklist I made for myself...I do my extensions at CW.  It may vary for your situation/your immigration office like maybe if your marriage didn't occur in Thailand then you would be getting a KR22 vs KR2, etc.  Prepare two copies. 

Core Application Documents

TM 7 Application for Extension of Stay

Copy of Passport including TM6 Departure Card and Latest 90 Day Report

Copy of Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror 3)

Fresh Kor Ror 2 Marriage Registration from District Office (get a few days before applying)

Copy of Wife’s Blue Book

Copy of Wife’s Thai ID Card

Map to Home.   Hand drawn of immediate area and another of the larger area.  Include names, address, phone numbers, and if even GPS coordinates on the maps.  Just make it easy to find your place. 

Four pictures of husband & wife In and around residence.  One must include husband & wife pointing to the house number, one further back showing husband & wife in front of house, one setting on bed, and one in living room.  And best to have some extra pictures in/around the house just in case the IO prefers some additional/different pictures.  Place two pictures per A4 size page.

Get Bank Letter and copies of passbook….fresher the better like same day or day before.  Passbook must show an update on day of application.  Main passbook page and those pages showing all transactions at least over the two months before the application date.   Ensure minimum Bt400K account balance is met over the two-month period….and be sure to maintain that minimum balance through the ensuring “under consideration” period/until you get the final approval stamp authoring a one-year stay.

“Original” Docs Which You Must Took Along

Marriage Certificate 

My Passport

Wife’s Thai ID Card

Bank Passbook

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, FraZa said:

The requirements for a 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage are EXACTLY the same whether based on an original Non Imm O-A Visa or an original Non Imm O Visa.

Attached the requirements as required for such 1-year marriage extension as listed by SiRacha IO (sister-office of Jomtien). 

As the requirements are prone to small changes/amendments it is recommended to visit your local IO in the weeks preceding your application to ask for THEIR list of requirements (they differ per IO) and whether there are any changes/amendments on their standard list (IOs tend not to update the documents, but confront you with not-published changes/amendments at the moment of application).

SiRacha - Marriageextdocs_Eng.pdf

you cannot get a extension based on marriage with a Non resident oa visa. Chonburi immigration said you need an O visa and to get this you have to leave the country. Believe me I tried and had to get useless Thai insurance after 10 years of normal renewal of my retirement extention.  

14 minutes ago, Ninafarm said:

you cannot get a extension based on marriage with a Non resident oa visa. Chonburi immigration said you need an O visa and to get this you have to leave the country. Believe me I tried and had to get useless Thai insurance after 10 years of normal renewal of my retirement extention.  

I do not doubt what you are writing because Jomtien / SiRaca IO (Chonburi) are among the roguest possible offices for Non Imm O Marriage extensions (the infamous Jomtien dragon lady),

But there are MANY reports of Non Imm O-A Visa holders that successfully applied for a 1-year extension based on their original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of marriage.

58 minutes ago, Ninafarm said:

When?