Nonthaburi school agrees to new measures to prevent future assault cases

snoop1130

Nonthaburi school agrees to new measures to prevent future assault cases

By THE NATION

800_36b5dd144d2acec.jpg

After a meeting at the Education Ministry, Nonthaburi’s Sarasas Witaed School has agreed to come up with measures to resolve problems.

The school made the headlines when the case of a teacher abusing kindergartners came to light last week.

The school founder’s son, Pisut Yongkamol, and school executives showed up at the ministry on Wednesday. They had been summoned to meet Deputy Education Minister Kanokwan Wilawan to discuss the school’s problems and how they can be solved.

After four hours of discussion, Kanokwan told the press that the school had come up with solutions for parents who wanted to remove their children from this school and for those who wanted to stay.

For parents who wanted to keep their children at Sarasas Witaed:

• Fees for academic year 2020 will be refunded.

• More CCTV cameras will be installed and parents will be able to watch the footage online.

• Details about each teacher will be displayed at the campus and the school’s website.

• Medical fees paid by students will be refunded.

• Students will be provided with counselling.

• Parents can check on their children during school hours, provided they do not disturb lessons.

• Nutritious meals will be provided to students and parents will be given the menu one week ahead for approval. Lunchtime will be extended from 30 minutes to 40 minutes.

• All teachers, both Thai and foreigners, will undergo mental screening.

• CCTV cameras will be installed in school vans.

• Parent-teacher meetings will be held from October onwards.

Parents who want to remove their students from this school will be provided with transfer documents within a day and will be refunded fees for the 2020 academic year.

Sarasas Witaed will also cover medical fees and related expenses for children who have suffered assault.

The deputy minister said a working team will be set up to check if any other students have been assaulted in the school.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395396

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-30

the part about nutritious meals and extending the eating time i thought was odd - as it doesn’t seem to really “fit” the current situation.

Sure it will receive points from the students (10 minutes more free time) and the parents will probably also like some parts too (ie nutritious meals) ... but i’m not really seeing how that ties into the current issue as a meaningful step forward.

1 hour ago, new2here said:

the part about nutritious meals and extending the eating time i thought was odd - as it doesn’t seem to really “fit” the current situation.

Sure it will receive points from the students (10 minutes more free time) and the parents will probably also like some parts too (ie nutritious meals) ... but i’m not really seeing how that ties into the current issue as a meaningful step forward.

And if I was a parent I would asking questions, checking whether the supply chain it permanently changed, what's changed in terms of cooking expertise, kitchen facilities/operations and how nutrition is being checked/monitored, and more. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lujanit said:

No mention of sacking the offending teachers and prosecuting them for assault. I suppose a wai will suffice.

Exactly.  My plan would have been simpler.

Fire the teacher.
File criminal and civil charges against the abusers.
Settle with the parents of the abused kids.

I suspect strongly that any cameras installed will not be maintained (maintenance of vehicles, buildings and public services/installations seems to be a major problem in Thailand) and will fail rapidly

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lujanit said:

No mention of sacking the offending teachers and prosecuting them for assault. I suppose a wai will suffice.

One of them was working without a working permit, i think the director is responsible for that....sack him.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 5:15 AM, lujanit said:

Three Thai teachers have already been fired.  A Filipino teacher has been fired and is awaiting deportation. 

Based on the OP, the school is pledging to do what schools SHOULD be doing anyway.  I suspect that there will be a mass exodus from the Sarasas chain (42 schools) next term and next year.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, new2here said:

it  will help heal the wounds they inflict faster  if  they have a good  diet