moderna vacinne appears safe and works

3NUMBAS

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine appears safe, shows signs of working in older adults - study

5be41ec0-ff0b-11e8-adef-442891c98066
29 September 2020

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Results from an early safety study of Moderna Inc's coronavirus vaccine candidate in older adults showed that it produced virus-neutralizing antibodies at levels similar to those seen in younger adults, with side effects roughly on par with high-dose flu shots, researchers said on Tuesday.

The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, offers a more complete picture of the vaccine's safety in older adults, a group at increased risk of severe complications from COVID-19.

The findings are reassuring because immunity tends to weaken with age, Dr. Evan Anderson, one of the study's lead researchers from Emory University in Atlanta, said in a phone interview.

• Sad 1

Overall, the team found that in older adults who received two injections of the 100 microgram dose 28 days apart, the vaccine produced immune responses roughly in line with those seen in younger adults.

Does that mean younger adults that have not gotten the vaccine at all, or do they mean it was uniform across the age range?

8 minutes ago, nemo38 said:

If this was about saving lives they would be encouraged to mix freely and catch Covid

and then go home or out to a pub and infect someone...an older person or someone with an underlying condition...killing them.....some community service that is.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, nemo38 said:

No thanks, to an mRNA vaccine.

I am healthy, so my risk of dying from Covid is the same as my dying from the flu. I am pretty sure I got it back in February anyway. I want to be exposed to regular viruses as they come up, so I don't want to be forced to wear a mask.

It is incredible that students, who have virtually no risk from Covid, are being told to isolate. If this was about saving lives they would be encouraged to mix freely and catch Covid when they are away at college. That is a community service.

Your choice. I can understand hesitation on the use of an mRNA type vaccine. Mind you, the cancer patients who are being given a new lease on life because of the mRNA methodology would not agree with you. I bet you would be begging for an mRNA vaccine option if you had an inoperable  brain tumor or  cancer of your testicle.

In respect to what you think you had in February, it is unlikely. Many of us had that bad cold that was making the rounds. 

Your position that the university students need not worry is cavalier. Will you guarantee that they won't have blood clotting issues, fatigue, scarred lungs, myocarditis etc. that persists for weeks or months?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rancid said:

Side effects ranged from fatigue (80%), chills (80%), headache (60%) and myalgia or muscle pain (53%). After the second dose, 100% of participants in the 100-mcg group experienced side effects.

These side effects look like the vaccine’s successfully revving up the immune system. As long as the vaccination came with a certificate that freed me to travel again, I’d happily endure far worse, although I’m certainly opposed to any compulsory vaccination.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Not that unusual to get medical checks before obtaining a visa, so completely plausible for a vaccination cert to be required in the future. 

For my current visa I needed a full medical report required by the embassy which includes a medical examination, urinalysis, blood test for HIV, syphilis, Hepatitis B & C, & liver function. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/1/2020 at 9:02 AM, geriatrickid said:

Your choice. I can understand hesitation on the use of an mRNA type vaccine. Mind you, the cancer patients who are being given a new lease on life because of the mRNA methodology would not agree with you. I bet you would be begging for an mRNA vaccine option if you had an inoperable  brain tumor or  cancer of your testicle.

In respect to what you think you had in February, it is unlikely. Many of us had that bad cold that was making the rounds. 

Your position that the university students need not worry is cavalier. Will you guarantee that they won't have blood clotting issues, fatigue, scarred lungs, myocarditis etc. that persists for weeks or months?

Yes, I think it's about balance of probabilities. As a 60 year old male, I will probably go with the vaccine, since I am at a much higher risk of developing a life threatening condition from Covid19, whilst the risk from a vaccine is likely very small. I don't think youngsters, unless in a high risk category, need to take the jab.

On 9/30/2020 at 7:21 PM, RichardColeman said:

I wonder if you will have the same reaction if it becomes part of any visa or visa extension to Thailand ? 

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Don't plant any seeds!

????????????

On 10/1/2020 at 8:13 PM, bermondburi said:

Not that unusual to get medical checks before obtaining a visa, so completely plausible for a vaccination cert to be required in the future. 

I've traveled a fair amount and never had to have a medical certificate or check up.

On 9/30/2020 at 5:56 PM, nemo38 said:

I am healthy, so my risk of dying from Covid is the same as my dying from the flu. I am pretty sure I got it back in February anyway. I want to be exposed to regular viruses as they come up, so I don't want to be forced to wear a mask.

It is incredible that students, who have virtually no risk from Covid, are being told to isolate. If this was about saving lives they would be encouraged to mix freely and catch Covid when they are away at college. That is a community service.

So your proposal assumes students  have no contact outside of a college environment with anyone in a higher risk group And assumes a complete cross infection and acquired immunity within a term ?

And do all college students reside on  campus?

6 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

I've traveled a fair amount and never had to have a medical certificate or check up.

Beginning as recently as March periodicals such as MIT Review were penning articles giving fair warning that society and humankind was being ushered into an era where "there is no going back to normal."  So yes, pre-Covid you never had to have a medical certificate or check-up to travel, extend a visa, etc.  Post-Covid humanity has been warned that all the rules will change.  Interesting how MIT could foreshadow these changes, but here we are.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 8:21 AM, RichardColeman said:

I wonder if you will have the same reaction if it becomes part of any visa or visa extension to Thailand ? 

As it is probably going to be. And not only in Thailand. BigPharma is going to want a return on their R & D investments.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 5:42 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

Moderna COVID-19 vaccine appears safe, shows signs of working in older adults - study

5be41ec0-ff0b-11e8-adef-442891c98066
29 September 2020

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Results from an early safety study of Moderna Inc's coronavirus vaccine candidate in older adults showed that it produced virus-neutralizing antibodies at levels similar to those seen in younger adults, with side effects roughly on par with high-dose flu shots, researchers said on Tuesday.

The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, offers a more complete picture of the vaccine's safety in older adults, a group at increased risk of severe complications from COVID-19.

The findings are reassuring because immunity tends to weaken with age, Dr. Evan Anderson, one of the study's lead researchers from Emory University in Atlanta, said in a phone interview.

Sign up now and make sure that you and your family are the first in the queue. Report back after your shots and let us know if the vaccine that "appears safe" and "shows signs of working" is safe and working. Maybe in 2025 you can let us all know if everything has gone swimmingly. 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2020 at 6:04 AM, mommysboy said:

Yes, I think it's about balance of probabilities. As a 60 year old male, I will probably go with the vaccine, since I am at a much higher risk of developing a life threatening condition from Covid19, whilst the risk from a vaccine is likely very small. I don't think youngsters, unless in a high risk category, need to take the jab.

I don't think you really understand the point of these vaccinations. The idea is to prevent transmission of the virus in the general population, which by its very nature will include vulnerable people. You do this by making nearly everyone immune without them having to suffer the disease, that is by vaccinating them.

Youngsters, even though at less (but still possible)  risk of severe illness, can transmit the disease. A vaccination providing immunity simply blocks transmission.

A young person after successful vaccination, encountering someone with the disease will neither catch it, nor be able to transmit it. If 70%+ of the population is vaccinated the disease cannot spread, because everyone it encounters will be blocked as a transmitter.

On 9/30/2020 at 5:56 PM, nemo38 said:

And then infect the old and vulnerable! Yeah great idea.

3 hours ago, teacherofwoe said:

Sign up now and make sure that you and your family are the first in the queue. Report back after your shots and let us know if the vaccine that "appears safe" and "shows signs of working" is safe and working. Maybe in 2025 you can let us all know if everything has gone swimmingly. 

Maybe you can report back in 5 years

On 10/3/2020 at 12:04 PM, mommysboy said:

They take it to prevent them getting infected and spreading the virus.!!! Not for their personal protection

13 hours ago, Nout said:

They take it to prevent them getting infected and spreading the virus.!!! Not for their personal protection

But the best idea is to prevent those at high risk of serious illness getting infected, or perhaps just all the over 50's.  Then you don't really need to worry about what youngster they come in to contact with.  What's the point of giving an experimental vaccine to healthy people who will probably ride the illness?

Any vaccine can't really be declared safe until at least in use for a few years- there's a trade off.