Does immigration currently issue 1 year marriage extensions?

Hey

I'm going to Thailand in October on a 90 day non-immigrant O visa based on Marriage to a Thai national. Does the Thai Immigration Bureau currently issue 1 year extensions based on marriage? If so, is the process and the requirements the usual despite the COVID situation? 

I also wanted to ask: I'm a Swede and my wife is Thai but our marriage certificate is from the USA. Our marriage is not registered outside the US yet. The embassy was fine with this when I got my O visa, does anyone know if the Thai Immigration Bureau will be OK with this as well? 

Thank you. 

Edited by Hansen88a

To apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage you will need to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 that immigration requires.

Your marriage certificate has to be legalized, translated to Thai and the translation certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

The legalization of your marriage certificate is going to be the most difficult part. For US citizens the US embassy allows them to do a affidavit as a self certification of it that will be accepted by an Amphoe after it is translated and certified. I don't think they will do it in your case as a Swedish national unless you have permanent residency there.

The normal way do the legalization can be found here. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/records-and-authentications/authenticate-your-document/office-of-authentications.html

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife of the 90 day entry from your non-o visa to get more time to apply for the one year extension.

This is my list of general requirements for the extension application.  Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

• Like 1

According to above website the US Embassy would provide the service to a non-US citizen.  Now although below says the service is provided if required for use with the jurisdiction of the US I doubt they would require some proof of how/where the authenticated doc would be used.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/records-and-authentications/authenticate-your-document/Notarial-Authentication-Services-Consular.html

image.png.79e4ee35d6de1d1435156e44794db252.png

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

According to above website the US Embassy would provide the service to a non-US citizen. 

It says for use within the jurisdiction of the US.

The marriage certificate was issued in the US but the affidavit to do a self certification would be used here.

I have 

The term "legalization" in regards to a foreign marriage certificate has always left my brain wondering a little what it really meant since the certificate itself is a legal document in the country of issue.  But some googling found something that made my pea brain fully understand "legalization"....although  below quote deal with the legalization of export docs if would apply to a marriage certificate also.

Legalization is the process of authenticating a document so that a foreign country's legal system will recognize it as valid and with full legal effect. 

Got my 1 year marriage extension yesterday at Sisaket.   I think that you will need a legal translation of your marriage certificate from the Thai Embassy in the country where you got married.  My wife arranged that and we had no problem.  A friend did not and has to go back to Hong Kong to get it.

You will also need a 'Family' certificate from the appropriate office in your Thai locality.  Immigration will not issue a marriage visa without that.  A few other document require also...House Certificate, photos of the two of you, inside the house and out, showing the address plaque.   Perhaps other docs ?

6 hours ago, Pib said:

The term "legalization" in regards to a foreign marriage certific toate has always left my brain wondering a little what it really meant since the certificate itself is a legal document in the country of issue.  But some googling found something that made my pea brain fully understand "legalization"....although  below quote deal with the legalization of export docs if would apply to a marriage certificate also.

Exactly. So a US marriage certificate needs authentication as genuine by the US Embassy in Thailand , or in the US by the relevant government authority. That authentication then needs to be verified by the relevant Thai government authority, MOFA, The whole process is called legalisation. It is then usable to obtain visas and extensions for/in Thailand. I had to get my Thai marriage certificate legalised for my wife's Schengen visas, first we went to MOFA and then armed with their signatures and stamps to the British Embassy for more signatures and stamps to complete the process. Only then were anwe able to get her visa application accepted by the French Embassy. I now treat this document like the crown jewels! We have used it many times.

I did mine last month.....will get the thing in the passport in three weeks. The paperwork amounted to 66 pages, and I was sent out to have them all copied for a total of 132 pages. I think they have another country where they store all the paperwork. I was shocked years ago when there was 16 pages for motorcycle transfer. When you consider the simplicity of a transfer in California this is staggeringly complicated here.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage you will need to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 that immigration requires.

Your marriage certificate has to be legalized, translated to Thai and the translation certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

The legalization of your marriage certificate is going to be the most difficult part. For US citizens the US embassy allows them to do a affidavit as a self certification of it that will be accepted by an Amphoe after it is translated and certified. I don't think they will do it in your case as a Swedish national unless you have permanent residency there.

The normal way do the legalization can be found here. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/records-and-authentications/authenticate-your-document/office-of-authentications.html

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife of the 90 day entry from your non-o visa to get more time to apply for the one year extension.

This is my list of general requirements for the extension application.  Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

A useful pdf. Thanks. Three questions - our house outside the village doesn't have any name or number on show. It's simply known to Kerry as the Falang house with five dogs, and the postman is a family member. Could that be a problem?

Second, on photos in and around the house, how do they know it's our house? Is there actually a point to this?

Third and re the 400K, why do they need both a copy of the updated passbook and a letter from the bank? What does the letter have to say that the passbook doesn't already show?

Better to ask you than ask immigration and p***ing them off by asking them questions they have no sensible answer for. As far as I know, anyway. I stand ready to be educated as to the wisdom of their demands.

3 hours ago, Chris Hopkins said:

Got my 1 year marriage extension yesterday at Sisaket.   I think that you will need a legal translation of your marriage certificate from the Thai Embassy in the country where you got married.  My wife arranged that and we had no problem.  A friend did not and has to go back to Hong Kong to get it.

You will also need a 'Family' certificate from the appropriate office in your Thai locality.  Immigration will not issue a marriage visa without that.  A few other document require also...House Certificate, photos of the two of you, inside the house and out, showing the address plaque.   Perhaps other docs ?

Do you need to have 400.000 baht in bank for 2 months or only proof that you have 400.000 baht in bankbook by the time of application?

25 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I did mine last month.....will get the thing in the passport in three weeks. The paperwork amounted to 66 pages, and I was sent out to have them all copied for a total of 132 pages. I think they have another country where they store all the paperwork. I was shocked years ago when there was 16 pages for motorcycle transfer. When you consider the simplicity of a transfer in California this is staggeringly complicated here.

I did my mid last month also....just as you I have the under consideration stamp right now....get the final stamp in about a week and a half.  This is a CW/Bangkok immigration.

But how in the world did you reach 66 pages per application.   I just did a mental count in my head and I figure my application contained about 22 total pages with any page having something on the back counting as two pages like the front & back of the TM7 form.  See below tally.   And I did have a duplicate of this approx 22 page application but the IO only wanted "portions" of this duplicate....around a half dozen of selected docs.   

- Two pages for the TM7,

- Copy of my passport which had two passport pages per A4 sheet....totalled up to around 4 pages

- A copy of TM6 all on one page,

- I also included a copy of my latest 90 day address report,

- Copy of marriage certificate (KR3),

- Copy of marriage registration (KR2),

- Copy of wife's blue book which was around 3 pages,

- Copy of the wife's Thai ID card on one page,

- Map to our home which was three pages consisting of a hand drawn immediate area map, a google map printout of the large area, and a picture of the home

- Four 4" by 6" pictures....two pictures per A4 page....so, two A4 pages

- Bank letter which was one page

- Copy of bank passbook which was two pages.

Above totals up to around 22 pages

Edited by Pib

4 minutes ago, arfandy said:

Do you need to have 400.000 baht in bank for 2 months or only proof that you have 400.000 baht in bankbook by the time of application?

When using the deposit method of Bt400K it must have been seasoned for at least two months upon the application date.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Three questions - our house outside the village doesn't have any name or number on show. It's simply known to Kerry as the Falang house with five dogs, and the postman is a family member. Could that be a problem?

The photo showing the house number is required and they would reject your application if you did not have one. Not hard make a house number. 

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Second, on photos in and around the house, how do they know it's our house? Is there actually a point to this?

If they did a house visit they would certainly know it was not the same house. The just want to see you and the wife together to prove you are living together.

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What does the letter have to say that the passbook doesn't already show?

The bank letter is to confirm your account is real and in your name.

10 minutes ago, arfandy said:

You need to show your updated bank book to prove the money is still in the bank and has been there for at least 2 months on the day you apply.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thank you. So if you come in on a 90 day O visa based on marriage, you can extend by another 60 days to get a total of 5 months before applying for the 1 year extension? Would you do that extension in the last 30 days of your initial 90 days? 

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

When using the deposit method of Bt400K it must have been seasoned for at least two months upon the application date.

I was told differently by officers at CW and MTT. Both officers said the same thing that to apply for non imm O, i only need to have 400k proof and do not need to season for 2 months. Both of them suggested me to just borrow 400k a week before i request the non imm o visa.

2 minutes ago, arfandy said:

I was told differently by officers at CW and MTT. Both officers said the same thing that to apply for non imm O, i only need to have 400k proof and do not need to season for 2 months. Both of them suggested me to just borrow 400k a week before i request the non imm o visa.

I've read that this applies only if you have children.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to show your updated bank book to prove the money is still in the bank and has been there for at least 2 months on the day you apply.

Then why was i told differently? I explicitly asked if 400k must be in the bank for 2 months and officers at CW and MTT assured me i do not need 2 months season. I went to CW and MTT, on the first week of Sept. The female officer at MTT suggested me to just borrow 400k from relative, a week before i apply for non imm o and i was puzzled and thought she was joking.

Just now, arfandy said:

I expect you misunderstood their answer.  The Bt400K must be seasoned for at least two months before Non-O extension application.   

Maybe they thought you was asking if your applied for a Non-O visa "outside" of Thailand.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

I've read that this applies only if you have children.

Yes, i brought 3 of my kids along to CW and MTT, officer at MTT even helped me to carry my baby and she spoke really kind and convincing to me and my Thai wife. She guaranteed me that 2 months bank seaosn is not needed for me.

Just now, Pib said:

I expect you misunderstood their answer.  The Bt400K must be seasoned for at least two months before Non-O extension application.   

Maybe they thought you was asking if your applied for a Non-O visa "outside" of Thailand.

No, believe me i had asked the very correct question because i wanted to make sure if i must have 400k season for 2 months and officer at CW and MTT were assuring me i only need to print out my passbook and have 400k on the week i apply for Non-Imm O in Northern Province (yes, i cant apply at CW because my wife resides in North)

8 minutes ago, Hansen88a said:

Thank you. So if you come in on a 90 day O visa based on marriage, you can extend by another 60 days to get a total of 5 months before applying for the 1 year extension? Would you do that extension in the last 30 days of your initial 90 days? 

You could apply for the 60 day extension a couple of weeks before your 90 days end.

8 minutes ago, arfandy said:

Yes, i brought 3 of my kids along to CW and MTT, officer at MTT even helped me to carry my baby and she spoke really kind and convincing to me and my Thai wife. She guaranteed me that 2 months bank seaosn is not needed for me.

If you have children you only need the 400k baht in the bank on the day you apply. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, arfandy said:

No, believe me i had asked the very correct question because i wanted to make sure if i must have 400k season for 2 months and officer at CW and MTT were assuring me i only need to print out my passbook and have 400k on the week i apply for Non-Imm O in Northern Province (yes, i cant apply at CW because my wife resides in North)

Your kids made the difference. If it had been you and the wife only funds would need to be seasoned 2 months.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

just remarry your wife in thailand

57 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A useful pdf. Thanks. Three questions - our house outside the village doesn't have any name or number on show. It's simply known to Kerry as the Falang house with five dogs, and the postman is a family member. Could that be a problem?

Third and re the 400K, why do they need both a copy of the updated passbook and a letter from the bank? What does the letter have to say that the passbook doesn't already show?

Better to ask you than ask immigration and p***ing them off by asking them questions they have no sensible answer for. As far as I know, anyway. I stand ready to be educated as to the wisdom of their demands.

1)

"Second, on photos in and around the house, how do they know it's our house? Is there actually a point to this?"

One photo has to show you and your wife next to the house number. That house number will be in one of your documents, probably in the house book. 

2)

The bank letter (also known as a bank guarantee) which is stamped and signed verifies that the account belongs to you. 

3)

Immigration doesn't care the least about your personal view about their sometimes strange demands.