Does immigration currently issue 1 year marriage extensions?

54 minutes ago, arfandy said:

I was told differently by officers at CW and MTT. Both officers said the same thing that to apply for non imm O, i only need to have 400k proof and do not need to season for 2 months. Both of them suggested me to just borrow 400k a week before i request the non imm o visa.

It's 2 months prior to the application if we're talking about a 1 year extension based on marriage. That's what this thread is about, not an extension based on having Thai kids.  

Edited by Max69xl

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not if he is a parent of Thai. It only has to be in the bank on the day he applies.

I'm not challenging that's it's true as I've heard that several times before, but where is that stated in the immigration regs/rules?

Edited by Pib

Yes.

I did mine last month using 40k per month income method x12.

Amid much muttering by the Imm officers about not using the 400k in the bank method because it makes it easier for them.

I just sat and watched them shuffle the papers around with an internal smirk.

It took 4 of them to count and recount I had all the documents X2 as if course with a marriage extension they need a full set for your wife too!

So much for amazing Thailand 4.0

10 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm not challenging that's it's true as I've heard that several times before, but where is that stated in the immigration regs/rules?

It is in clause 2.18 of immigration order 327/2557.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year."

Note it does not mention the 400k baht has to be in the bank for any amount of time like marriage does here. 

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is in clause 2.18 of immigration order 327/2557.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year."

Note it does not mention the 400k baht has to be in the bank for any amount of time like marriage does here. 

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year"

Got it....thanks.  Now immediately after reading above I wondered what would keep a farang who is married to a Thai and has kids say 30 years old and maybe hatching their own kids from using that same rule of just needing to have Bt400K on deposit the day of application vs having it seasoned for at least two months.  But after reading the police order you referenced criteria #4 spells out what qualifies as a kid.

(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children,
adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as
part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person
hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother

1 minute ago, Pib said:

But after reading the police order you referenced criteria #4 spells out what qualifies as a kid.

That does not apply to number 5. That is for children that are not Thai to get an extension of stay for being a member of the applicants family.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That does not apply to number 5. That is for children that are not Thai to get an extension of stay for being a member of the applicants family.

Then what prevents the scenario I gave before of say a farang and his/her Thai spouse having adult children say 30 years old (or even older), not living with the couple, have left the nest, etc., from allowing the farang to bypass the Bt400K for two months seasoning requirement if there is no written definition of what qualifies as a child.  Seems there would be some criteria as to when a farang could use the "I have kids" reason for bypassing the deposit seasoning requirement.

30 minutes ago, Pib said:

Then what prevents the scenario I gave before of say a farang and his/her Thai spouse having adult children say 30 years old (or even older), not living with the couple, have left the nest, etc., from allowing the farang to bypass the Bt400K for two months seasoning requirement if there is no written definition of what qualifies as a child.  Seems there would be some criteria as to when a farang could use the "I have kids" reason for bypassing the deposit seasoning requirement.

If a married couple tried use and the children were old enough to not be living at home immigration would not accept the application with the funds only being in the bank on the date of application. Immigration did not set an age for being the parent of a Thai primarily so that older parents can stay in the country since a person is always their parent.

I did not include this line in 5 that shows another option. "In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over." In that case the parent would not have to show any financial proof.

The discretion provided IOs can either be a blessing or curse.....and it can definitely add uncertainty as to how each situation will be handled.   I expected IOs also have other written guidance/policy from HQ Immigration which is not for public release especially for gray area scenarios.  

9 hours ago, Bigz said:

You should first register the marriage in Sweden while you still there. Then you can get the affidavit from the Swedish embassy in Bangkok without a problem.

That's a good idea but I'm not in Sweden and wont fly to Thailand from there. I've contacted the US embassy in Thailand and they said that they can verify the US marriage certificate through an affidavit so hopefully it will be fine and we wont need to legalize the marriage in Sweden also. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

our house outside the village doesn't have any name or number on show.

Well your house number is in the blue book, take a permanent marker pen, copy the number to a piece of wood, steel or future board and stick it to the house with double sided tape or nail it to a tree, can you manage that?  

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As you and others know each office make their own rules.   IMG_1417c.jpg.2302793a7adc8196cc08fe331dd85954.jpg From TRAT I.O

21 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well your house number is in the blue book, take a permanent marker pen, copy the number to a piece of wood, steel or future board and stick it to the house with double sided tape or nail it to a tree, can you manage that?  

Why the sarcasm? Having a bad day? I'll do a much better job than that and send you a photo if you like.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, arfandy said:

Do you need to have 400.000 baht in bank for 2 months or only proof that you have 400.000 baht in bankbook by the time of application?

1:Does the 400.000 baht need to deposit with funds coming from abroad or will they accept a "domestic" transfer at chaengwattana(marriage, no children). 2:the picture with house number-should be from the house in the tabien baan or we where actual live and have the rental contract? 

4 minutes ago, sanook 1 said:

1:Does the 400.000 baht need to deposit with funds coming from abroad or will they accept a "domestic" transfer at chaengwattana(marriage, no children).

There is no requirement to prove the 400k baht came from abroad.

4 minutes ago, sanook 1 said:

2:the picture with house number-should be from the house in the tabien baan or we where actual live and have the rental contract? 

Where you are living.

• Thanks 1