Best locations for snorkeling?

jackdd

I plan to do a trip to the south in November. The exact location is still open, i might also visit several provinces.

I'm preferably looking for places which offer something to see right from the beach without having to go anywhere with a boat.

A few years ago i was at Koh Tao, this wasn't bad. Is there anything better than this?

A lot of the best right off the beaches is at national park islands like Ko Surin, Similans, Ko Haa, Ko Rok, etc., but of those, I think it's only still possible to stay overnight on Ko Surin, normally in a tent. Ko Lipe used to be great; all the boats killed most of the coral off the main beaches but there's still decent snorkeling right off the north coast, west of Sunset Beach, near little coves like the one housing Bila Beach Bungalows. Have to watch out for boats though; some snorkelers have been hit off Lipe.

• Thanks 1

Sadly most major islands ,even Ko Lanta have very uninspiring snorkelling now off the beaches. So you have to either stay in a remote island with little else to do or do speedboat Day trips tours from the likes of Lanta which has a couple of good options . My favourite is the Ko Rok,Ko Ha 2 stop tour,but of course it’s around 1500 baht and the day is over by 3pm when they head back. If that appeals,Opal tours is one I’ve used satisfactorily on several occasions. In November id be looking towards Andaman side in any case. I’ve snorkeled and dived around Thailand,including live aboards to Similans since 30 years ago but its deteriorated substantially since then. Sorry if this is a bit depressing 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Any specific recommendations?

In normal circumstances I’d grown tired of what Phuket had become and found Lanta rather more laid back but still with plenty of facilities and not a rip off. But given the current situation with no tourists I’d likely take the opportunity to revisit Phuket,especially as Lanta might be very dead now. Kamala bay was a nice beach ,but again from a snorkelling perspective that isn’t going to have changed hugely.

• Like 1

This guy's site is the bible of not only reviews of snorkeling places throughout South East, but writes up multiple page in depth surveys complete with maps and various points marked described and photographed. There aren't even any books that are this interesting, informative and in depth. There are 20 sites in Thailand written up, most of them on the Andaman. From his recommendations and info, I have had it my mind to go to Ko Lipe, but I want to wait till February when there is maximum sunny days and calmer water for clearer snorkeling. Nothing ruins snorkeling more for me than murky water coupled with cloudy weather.

https://whatsthesnorkellinglike3.wordpress.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...