Blood pressure monitor (Home monitor)

Felt 35

omron brand and be sure it is the cuff type not the wrist type, wriost tyopes are less accurate.

Make sure the cuff fits OK, if you are heavy then may need an extra large cuff

Many pharmacies, Boots etc carry this and can also order online easily from Lazada or Shoppee

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is good and highly rated, would be good if someone compared to an Omon that people always parrot 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.cy55v

I bought several on eBay. They look similar to yours but were about 600 Baht - the others were for friends. I compared them to measurements with the one in the hospital. Pretty much the same. I have been using mine for 3 years already and no problems. Works with battery or USB and can speak. 

16015148025200.jpg

Edited by Oldie

13 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I bought several on eBay. They look similar to yours but were about 600 Baht - the others were for friends. I compared them to measurements with the one in the hospital. Pretty much the same. I have been using mine for 3 years already and no problems. Works with battery or USB and can speak. 

16015148025200.jpg

Yes the cheaper ones can be good, mine was only 300 baht but the quality is far more than the price that's why a comparison would be interesting. Good idea comparing at the hospital. 

Some price difference maybe due to marketing, for example my 1,500 baht laser rangefinder is as good as a 15,000 baht Bushnell, some people pay extra for name

I bought a Pharmahof branded full- cuff type at Fascino in Pattaya for 1900 baht about 5 years ago for home use, never missed a beat yet. I also have an Omron wrist-cuff type for travel and work. I had a mate bring it over from the US. I frequently cross check them and they compare close enough.

Be wary of how to use, when to take measurements and which readings to take.

Always do at the same time each day, same conditions and exactly as recommended.

Ignore the first two readings and take the average of the next three.

My first reading can be incredibly high (white coat syndrome?)....much happier with the lower readings 5555

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Be wary of how to use, when to take measurements and which readings to take.

Always do at the same time each day, same conditions and exactly as recommended.

Ignore the first two readings and take the average of the next three.

My first reading can be incredibly high (white coat syndrome?)....much happier with the lower readings 5555

Looks like it'd be easier & less stressful just to diet & exercise and get your blood pressure down to normal under any normal circumstances.

That's what I do and my blood pressure's always normal. No need to worry or take meds.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Looks like it'd be easier & less stressful just to diet & exercise and get your blood pressure down to normal under any normal circumstances.

That's what I do and my blood pressure's always normal. No need to worry or take meds.

Doesn't work for everyone. Some people have a genetic predisposition toi hypertension even when at ideal weight and active.

You may also find that this changes as you age.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Doesn't work for everyone. Some people have a genetic predisposition toi hypertension even when at ideal weight and active.

Then we seem to have an extraordinarily large number here w/ the genetic predisposition. But OK--unless you have a genetic predisposition.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You may also find that this changes as you age.

But then so does the standard of "normal." I keep waiting but mine just stays the same as it always was.

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Who says they are good and who rates them? Are you basing that on a medical evaluation or on the Lazada reviews?

Omron are world renowned for their blood pressure monitors.

I bought one because someone recommended it and I reckon its very good but like I say you need to compare to the Omron or at hospital to get the reassurance you need 

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is good and highly rated, would be good if someone compared to an Omon that people always parrot 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.cy55v

Nowhere near as reliable as Omron.  Better than wrist types but still not good - extra paint does nothing to help but for the price anyone, including me, will give it high rating.  But the extra cost of Omron basic models is well worth it in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Nowhere near as reliable as Omron.  Better than wrist types but still not good - extra paint does nothing to help but for the price anyone, including me, will give it high rating.  But the extra cost of Omron basic models is well worth it in my opinion.

In what way was it unreliable? 

Edited by scubascuba3

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The readings varied quite a bit more than those taken on Omron.

I wonder if you can use both the same time, left arm one right arm other, because taking readings change every time anyway, maybe someone can try

Edited by scubascuba3

10 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

I think you are getting a bit paranoid now if you feel a need to check your blood pressure 24h.

Also, if you are moving around, eating, doing things, your blood pressure will vary.

Edited by Chris.B

4 hours ago, Chris.B said:
14 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Thank you for the information. Will most likely go for this one [Lazada Link]

Btw, can this be used to wear around to monitor the blood pressure 24h.

Felt.

I think you are getting a bit paranoid now if you feel a need to check your blood pressure 24h.

Also, if you are moving around, eating, doing things, your blood pressure will vary.

If you want to monitor 24/7 then you might be better off getting a wristwatch-style devices

Lazada search "Wristwatch blood pressure monitor"

These might not be as accurate, but at least they won't be causing issues as might happen with long-term cuff usage.

10 hours ago, BigStar said:

And hownis he to know if diet and exercise are working if he doesnt measure?

14 hours ago, RichCor said:

If you want to monitor 24/7 then you might be better off getting a wristwatch-style devices

Lazada search "Wristwatch blood pressure monitor"

These might not be as accurate, but at least they won't be causing issues as might happen with long-term cuff usage.

24 hour monitoring makes no sense whatsoever outside of an Intensive Care Unit.

It is totally normal and to be expected that your BP will fluctuate widely and there will be upward surges when you sneeze, cough, laugh, cry, exert yourself etc. You will just make yourself unnecessarily worried with 24 hour monitoring. Once or maximum twice a day, taken at rest, is plenty.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, n00dle said:

And hownis he to know if diet and exercise are working if he doesnt measure?

I didn't say never measure it. I'm referring to extremely frequent measurement obsessing with times and positions with the aim of getting the measurement down as much as possible for the illusion that one's high blood pressure is "OK." Well, yes, hope of a consistent picture is part of it. That's understandable, of course, but still can be taken too far.  

• If your blood pressure is normal (less than 120/80), get it checked at least every 2 years.
  • If your blood pressure is borderline high (called prehypertension) -- systolic blood pressure between 120 and 139 or diastolic blood pressure of 80 to 89 -- check it at least every year.
  • If your reading is 140/90 or higher, you have high blood pressure and need to see your doctor. You may need to start medication.

--https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/qa/how-often-should-i-get-my-blood-pressure-checked

The diet & exercise mainly responsible for attainment of normal BP have numerous benefits, one of which is (to stay on topic) reducing the need for frequent BP checking and taking meds of various types. (I'm not talking about those with a genetic predisposition.) To me, it's well worth it.

I do check my resting heart rate once a week or so, just from old habit acquired 40 years ago. If it's ever significantly elevated over the usual average of around 55--for no particular reason I can imagine--then I'd check daily. Then if I ever found it consistently elevated I might also check BP and look into getting some tests. Not that heart rate and BP are necessarily correlated, mind you.

If you live in Thailand you'll surely get your BP checked far more often than once every 2 years whether you want to or not. The cost of obligatory checking at hsps is one of our standard whinges on the forum. Occasionally I get a (slightly surprised?) "good" from the nurse.  

Edited by BigStar

I brought this monitor from Lazada , easy to use (instructions in English) 325 bahts approx , i exercise six days

a week (jogging and weight training ) I check my blood pressure once a week . Tea total no smoking and no

sugar , Yes it sounds boring to some but my life style for many years . I have noticed Many expats of all ages

exercising in my local park .

IMG20201001160728 (2).jpg

I have a polygreen at home, dunno where it came from, my wife got it.

What I discovered was that whenever I went to hospital, and taking blood pressure is mandatory as soon as you enter it seems, I always found the hospital readings were always significantly higher than my at home ones.

I also found this true at the dentist where they will not treat you if your systolic reading is over 150. The reason for this is simply if the treatment causes you to bleed then a very high blood pressure will make it more difficult to stop the bleeding.

Go walk around and relax for ten minutes then come back.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
explanation

41 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I brought this monitor from Lazada , easy to use (instructions in English) 325 bahts approx , i exercise six days

a week (jogging and weight training ) I check my blood pressure once a week . Tea total no smoking and no

sugar , Yes it sounds boring to some but my life style for many years . I have noticed Many expats of all ages

exercising in my local park .

IMG20201001160728 (2).jpg

I have the same one, slightly newer model maybe RAK289, I've found it very good, maybe they should put a zero on the price, then some BMs on here would give it more credibility 

14 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I have a polygreen at home, dunno where it came from, my wife got it.

What I discovered was that whenever I went to hospital, and taking blood pressure is mandatory as soon as you enter it seems, I always found the hospital readings were always significantly higher than my at home ones.

I also found this true at the dentist where they will not treat you if your systolic reading is over 150. The reason for this is simply if the treatment causes you to bleed then a very high blood pressure will make it more difficult to stop the bleeding.

Go walk around and relax for ten minutes then come back.

Alternatively, relax and sit somewhere quiet and practice deep full breathing for 5 minutes before having your blood pressure measured.