Where can we meet? Cambodia?

habuspasha

Assuming Thai borders are probably closed to US passport holders (even with an Elite Visa) for the rest of the year, where can we meet?  Cambodia is one of the few countries now accepting Americans and Asiana flights seem to be running to and from JFK and between ICN and PNH.  But can my Thai Better-Half get to Cambodia and back?  Flights look dicey but possible.  Are their land alternatives?  Might she be delayed reentry?

• Haha 1

Do foreigners entering Cambodia still need to deposit US$3000 into local bank as local insurance on top of US$50,000 medical insurance cover ???

Land borders are closed (officially) so a flight will be necessary. 

I think re-entry may require applying through the Thai Embassy in Cambodia for Certificate of Entry and Quarantine for 2 weeks in Thailand. There could be delays in trying to return with the application process. 

-----

It's a horrible situation for those missing those they care about. 

You wrote ‘better half’ are you married? (Marriage Certificate?) ????

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do foreigners entering Cambodia still need to deposit US$3000 into local bank as local insurance on top of US$50,000 medical insurance cover ???

Land borders are closed (officially) so a flight will be necessary. 

I think re-entry may require applying through the Thai Embassy in Cambodia for Certificate of Entry and Quarantine for 2 weeks in Thailand. There could be delays in trying to return with the application process. 

-----

It's a horrible situation for those missing those they care about. 

You wrote ‘better half’ are you married? (Marriage Certificate?) ????

Thanks, Richard.  Information on Cambodian requirements are not clear or changing.  I read $2,000 deposit or payment and $90 insurance policy.  Quarantine is personal unless arriving in plane with someone who tests positive.  It hadn't occurred to me that she would need a CoE just to return--Good point, though deeply troubling.  And no we don't have a marriage certificate.

Just book her an apartment in Palma de Mallorca. Flight from Bangkok to Frankfurt 400 Euro. Frankfurt to Palma 60 Euro.

Then you can enjoy the Mediterranean. Of course you'll need her to apply for Schengen visa. I assume she is a well travelled woman of her own financial means?

Edited by Logosone

2 hours ago, patman30 said:

i know someone that just left Thailand to meet her boyfriend in Dubai, then onto turkey and Georgia for extended holiday,
the cost for him to come here was above the cost for her (and him) to have 2-3 months holiday

I have thought of Dubai (Georgia and even the Mediterranean will be cold by November) and I don't mind the cost. The real problem is her getting back to Thailand. I need to be sure that after a month or two together, when I will have to return to the US, she is able to fly back to Thailand easily.

10 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Information on Cambodian requirements are not clear or changing.  I read $2,000 deposit or payment and $90 insurance policy.  Quarantine is personal unless arriving in plane with someone who tests positive. 

Those requirements are accurate at the moment, but of more importance to you is that tourists are currently NOT allowed into Cambodia. Unless both you and your girlfriend are somehow both able to secure Cambodian business visas, meeting there is not a possibility for you until and unless they change their entry policy.

11 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

I have thought of Dubai (Georgia and even the Mediterranean will be cold by November) and I don't mind the cost. The real problem is her getting back to Thailand. I need to be sure that after a month or two together, when I will have to return to the US, she is able to fly back to Thailand easily.

Nobody can't know what happen after 1 or 2 month! Can be even more new regulation's, situation is only what it is now! It chance every day.

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

potential disease exposure and re entry requirements, I wouldn't ask my wife to do that but everyone has their own priorities.. 

Of course I'm concerned about potential disease exposure and the re entry requirements are a major problem as I see it now.  She is not an experienced traveler and she hates to fly, having never flown alone further than Krabi or Luang Prabang to meet me. But she wants to see me as much as I want to see her. It's been almost a year now. 

• Sad 1

Borders are closed and there are no direct flights between Thailand and Cambodia.

In addition, mandatory insurance, $2000 deposit, and 14 day quarantine on arrival in Cambodia. Then she would have get COE from Thai Embassy to return and  be quarantined 14 days on arrival back in Thailand.

It's a non starter and I don't think anywhere else is better in SE Asia, plus the return to Thailand requirements are across the board for any country.

• Like 2

South Africa has just tentatively opened up today. It is visa free for Thais. 

If you're coming from a high risk country you'll need to spend 10 days in a low risk country before arrival. 

Your partner will need to quarantine on return to Thailand. There is no quarantine arriving in South Africa. 

I suggest you spend 10 days in Dubai if coming from the UK. Meet your gf there and fly on together. 

Details in the link. 

https://www.gov.za/speeches/minister-naledi-pandor-re-opening-borders-and-ports-entry-international-travellers-during

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Borders are closed and there are no direct flights between Thailand and Cambodia.

In addition, mandatory insurance, $2000 deposit, and 14 day quarantine on arrival in Cambodia. Then she would have get COE from Thai Embassy to return and  be quarantined 14 days on arrival back in Thailand.

It's a non starter and I don't think anywhere else is better in SE Asia, plus the return to Thailand requirements are across the board for any country.

Much thanks, Sheryl.  I was wondering why Flight Aware didn't show any actual air traffic between BKK and PNH.  I'll have to develop Plan D. Dubai maybe?  Or hope that my new Elite Visa can actually help.

1 hour ago, bermondburi said:

South Africa has just tentatively opened up today. It is visa free for Thais. 

If you're coming from a high risk country you'll need to spend 10 days in a low risk country before arrival. 

Your partner will need to quarantine on return to Thailand. There is no quarantine arriving in South Africa. 

I suggest you spend 10 days in Dubai if coming from the UK. Meet your gf there and fly on together. 

Details in the link. 

https://www.gov.za/speeches/minister-naledi-pandor-re-opening-borders-and-ports-entry-international-travellers-during

Interesting Idea.  And thanks for the link.  I guess there would still be the issue of her return to BKK from Dubai with CoE.  Though maybe traffic between Dubai and BKK is sufficiently practiced to be routine.

For me Turkey sounds like a good option, cheap, safe and no quarantine upon arrival. Visa free for Thais and easy to get Short Term Residence Permit for Touristic purposes. I’m probably going to Antalya/Alanya with my Thai gf and stay for a 6-12 months. Hopefully by then Thailand will let its Citizens back in to the country without the 14 days imprisonment.

19 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Of course I'm concerned about potential disease exposure and the re entry requirements are a major problem as I see it now.  She is not an experienced traveler and she hates to fly, having never flown alone further than Krabi or Luang Prabang to meet me. But she wants to see me as much as I want to see her. It's been almost a year now. 

that's a hard go. I turned down work earlier in the year after much deliberation due to this exact problem, an extended absence from the wife. I feel for you and I hope you find some sort of a solution for I know I would feel awful too.. 

• 1 month later...