Alcohol ban for end of Buddhist Lent

webfact

Alcohol ban for end of Buddhist Lent

By The Phuket News

1601459906_1-org.jpg

The sale of alcohol will be banned for the 24 hours (from midnight to midnight) this Friday (Oct 2). Image: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: Police have confirmed that the sale of alcohol will be banned for the 24 hours of this Friday (Oct 2) as the nation commemorates “Wan Org Pansa”, marking the end of Buddhist Lent.

Phuket’s new Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Witoon Kongsudjai confirmed this afternoon (Sept 30) that the alcohol ban will come into effect just after midnight tomorrow night (00:01am Friday, Oct 2) and conclude at midnight Friday night (11:59pm, Oct 2).

Phuket City Police Chief Col Theerawat Liamsuwan likewise confirmed to The Phuket News that the ban will be enforced in the Phuket Town area for the 24 hours of this Friday, as did Patong Police Station.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/alcohol-ban-for-end-of-buddhist-lent-77497.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-01

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why is this so fraught with angst? Stock up now, drink at home. Problem solved.

I think it is more the principle involved of being dictated to by...politicians.....religion etc......I suspect most people who want to drink will have twigged they can stock up.....but thanks for the HU.

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

A great idea, in a country whose entertainment business if at rock bottom, due to the Covid panic.

Anyone desperate for alcohol can get it, Mom and Pop shops as an example.

Maybe a bit of leniency during these hard times, to let these businesses try and recover some of their losses, would have been a better approach ?

That approach supposes that the zealots who dictate such matters would wish to demonstrate some empathy. Their fervour does not allow that!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

More draconian rules by the dinosaur elite.

My question is this......Is the alcohol ban a religious rule in Buddhism, or is it simply a dictatorial edict from the monkeys in the nuthouse. As another poster has mentioned already the last thing we need is a forced closure when business is  so slow anyway.

The Buddha simply encouraged that we be mindful, present in every moment. Thus anything that dulls our ability to be focused is not a wise pursuit. I seem to recall reading something similar growing up. “Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging and whosoever is there deceived is not wise”. Just for the record, I am an oenophile so not opposed to the touch of the grape. Still, I am mindful of the effects and thus have a couple of glasses at home in the evening. While I firmly oppose Sharia Law (any religiously dictated laws, rules, regulations  ... I do not dismiss wisdom where it is found.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Next time you go shopping, remember to buy your alcohol in bulk.

You never know when the thirst may get to you  :burp:

After that last ban debacle, I always have a 6 month supply on hand. I don't drink often or much, but when I feel the itch, I want it scratched by gosh!

10 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:
3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

More draconian rules by the dinosaur elite.

My question is this......Is the alcohol ban a religious rule in Buddhism, or is it simply a dictatorial edict from the monkeys in the nuthouse. As another poster has mentioned already the last thing we need is a forced closure when business is  so slow anyway.

The Buddha simply encouraged that we be mindful, present in every moment. Thus anything that dulls our ability to be focused is not a wise pursuit. I seem to recall reading something similar growing up. “Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging and whosoever is there deceived is not wise”. Just for the record, I am an oenophile so not opposed to the touch of the grape. Still, I am mindful of the effects and thus have a couple of glasses at home in the evening. While I firmly oppose Sharia Law (any religiously dictated laws, rules, regulations  ... I do not dismiss wisdom where it is found.

T.I.T.S. - Their country, their rules wither wise or not. Last I checked, there are still plenty of available flights leaving.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Another nail in the coffin for bar owners who are scratching the bottom of the barrel to pay rents & salaries in these difficult times. I just thought this one, this time they might have just looked the other way from their ivory towers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Wan Org Pansa

Wan "Org" Pansa. <laughs>  That's the weirdest transliteration that I've seen and not even close.  Wan Ok Pansa, or phonetically, "awk" as in awkward. 
Wan - day

Ok (awk) - out
Pansa - Buddhist Lent

I'm not trying to be the spelling police.  If you said Wan Org Pansa to a Thai, they would look at you really, really strange.

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

A great idea, in a country whose entertainment business if at rock bottom, due to the Covid panic.

Anyone desperate for alcohol can get it, Mom and Pop shops as an example.

Maybe a bit of leniency during these hard times, to let these businesses try and recover some of their losses, would have been a better approach ?

They sometimes make exceptions for tourist venues, but <rolls eyes, scraps foot in sand...errr "what tourists">

Edited by connda

16 minutes ago, J Town said:

T.I.T.S. - Their country, their rules wither wise or not. Last I checked, there are still plenty of available flights leaving.

Hope you are addressing the original post as I said nothing challenging Thai citizens to make their own rules. My focus was the rationale behind the ban. As for flights leaving? I wish you a good flight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alant said:

How strange is that?

It is the end of Lent not the start.

The prohibitionists will force their will whenever and however...

We never eat fruitcake because it has rum,

And one little bite turns a man to a bum.
What's the sorriest sight in the whole human race,
Then a man in the gutter with crumbs on his face!

Away, away with rum by gum,

Rum by gum, rum by gum.
Away, away with rum by gum,
The song of the Temperance Union!"

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

You may not be mindful since 1989, alcohol has the status of a Class 1 carcinogen. My apologies if that information spoils your evening libation.

• Haha 1

Is October 2 a holiday for schools? ...... don’t understand the do whack a dos holidays. Uhh this is a holiday for the holiday which was already taken to replace the other holiday that you’ve already taken so sit to take another to boost the economy hmmmmmmm crazy days and crazy nights..

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You may not be mindful since 1989, alcohol has the status of a Class 1 carcinogen. My apologies if that information spoils your evening libation.

No problem, I balance that against the medical studies showing red wine, in moderation, being good for my heart. 2005 = 5 by-passes, 2015 heart attack here in Chiang Mai (blood flow constriction at sites of the by-passes). I’m sticking with the red wine. My friend, Ben Franklin, advised moderation in everything ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

No problem, I balance that against the medical studies showing red wine, in moderation, being good for my heart. 2005 = 5 by-passes, 2015 heart attack here in Chiang Mai (blood flow constriction at sites of the by-passes). I’m sticking with the red wine. My friend, Ben Franklin, advised moderation in everything ...

We all have to cark it from something, so we may as well enjoy the ride.

I am impressed. I was not aware you are a contemporary of Ben Franklin.

• Haha 1