Alcohol ban for end of Buddhist Lent

webfact

14 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

A great idea, in a country whose entertainment business if at rock bottom, due to the Covid panic.

Anyone desperate for alcohol can get it, Mom and Pop shops as an example.

Maybe a bit of leniency during these hard times, to let these businesses try and recover some of their losses, would have been a better approach ?

Common Sense and Logical Thinking are in serious short supply in the Land of Numpty's !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Why is this so fraught with angst? Stock up now, drink at home. Problem solved.

You are correct in saying buy before and drink at home. However, that does not help people struggling already to keep a business afloat in these times. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

We all have to cark it from something, so we may as well enjoy the ride.

I am impressed. I was not aware you are a contemporary of Ben Franklin.

I constantly amazed about the age of Thaivisa posters, sometimes i refer to them as dinosaurs but having heard this i might be closer to the truth then i thought.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

You are correct in saying buy before and drink at home. However, that does not help people struggling already to keep a business afloat in these times. 

People don't have more money to spend, what they don't spend today they will spend tomorrow.

The alcoholics on this forum always find others that they "pity"  so they can protest the ban without looking completely addicted. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2020 at 9:17 AM, AhFarangJa said:

More draconian rules by the dinosaur elite.

My question is this......Is the alcohol ban a religious rule in Buddhism, or is it simply a dictatorial edict from the monkeys in the nuthouse. As another poster has mentioned already the last thing we need is a forced closure when business is  so slow anyway.

It's a rule that has been in force for ever, it is not one "more draconian rule" so no need to be surprised or indignant about it and it only lasts for 24 hours!  What measurable difference will that make to the economy?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, Surelynot said:

I think it is more the principle involved of being dictated to by...politicians.....religion etc......I suspect most people who want to drink will have twigged they can stock up.....but thanks for the HU.

I suspect the Thais don't care about a few hours ban, it's just the Thaivisa posters who want to make a big deal out of nothing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/1/2020 at 12:34 PM, connda said:

Wan "Org" Pansa. <laughs>  That's the weirdest transliteration that I've seen and not even close.  Wan Ok Pansa, or phonetically, "awk" as in awkward. 
Wan - day

Ok (awk) - out
Pansa - Buddhist Lent

I'm not trying to be the spelling police.  If you said Wan Org Pansa to a Thai, they would look at you really, really strange.

If you said to them Wan "ok" (that's 'okay' as you wrote it, not 'awk') Pansa they'd look at you just as strangely.

54 minutes ago, Cod Face said:

It's a rule that has been in force for ever, it is not one "more draconian rule" so no need to be surprised or indignant about it and it only lasts for 24 hours!  What measurable difference will that make to the economy?

It makes quite a measurable difference to my economy when we are trying to make a living in times that are bad enough already. Friday is our one busy night a week, and today has cost us in the region of 5000 Baht. Sure, not a lot in the big scheme of things, but not to be sniffed at either. So get off your soap box and stop tarring every TV poster with the same brush.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And why did no-one bother to tell me this article was here as I had missed it? I about an hour ago was just so caught off guard and had to resort to just going to my mom and pop shops for beer. Crummy thing is I was not able to purchase my nice bottle of wine, so now I will have to fall back on my nice bottle of scotch. I'm so angry!

25 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

And why did no-one bother to tell me this article was here as I had missed it? I about an hour ago was just so caught off guard and had to resort to just going to my mom and pop shops for beer. Crummy thing is I was not able to purchase my nice bottle of wine, so now I will have to fall back on my nice bottle of scotch. I'm so angry!

The danger for this year seems to be over after today. At some (dark) bars this is the coffee cup day... 

https://pattayasanook.com/thai-culture/thailand-holidays/

18 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The danger for this year seems to be over after today. At some (dark) bars this is the coffee cup day... 

https://pattayasanook.com/thai-culture/thailand-holidays/

CM is dead. Came back through the bar street from taking a few km run for daily exercise, and most all are shut. 

Edited by holy cow cm

18 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

stop tarring every TV poster with the same brush

Exactly what brush am I "tarring everyone with"?  I made an accurate, general comment aimed at the indignant foreign whingers who think that a few hours of not being able to buy alcohol (officially) justifies more Thai/Buddhist-bashing attacks.   I didn't reference you or your business so maybe you should get down off your soapbox.

As you brought it up, though, being a business owner here in Thailand, you must be aware of this particular alcohol-free Buddhist day, it is not new, it's been around forever.  Surely you should include Buddhist holidays that you full well know will not earn you profits from alcohol sales into your business plan as you must have done every other year?  Or do you complain about every Buddhist holiday here in this Buddhist country just because it makes an insignificant annual dent in your non-Buddhist profits?

• Sad 1