Non O, Non O-A and Non O-X

I hope is not a silly question, but I really don't understand this:

1) Non O is the retirement visa issued in the Kingdom.

2) Non O-A and Non O-X are retirement visas issued in a Thai Embassy abroad.

Why Non O cannot enter the Kingdom, but the others two type of visa holders yes?  I cannot figure out the reason or the point about this. Thank you.

Edited by Tayida

Maby they think insurance is must thing for new coming retirees in these virus times,,

If retiree NON-O visa/re-entry extension would be allowed to enter that would mean such person could apply new retirement extension without insurance. When you come with NON- O-A / 0-X extensions also need insurances same as visas itself,,

Edited by thaitero
  • Like 1

All Visas are issued outside on the country at Embassies or Consulates..... the 2 exceptions are an Elite, which can be attached in Thailand, and what I prefer to call a conversion from a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry (permit to Stay) into that of a Non-Imm-O permit of Stay.  A Non-Imm-O sticker is placed in the passport, but is immediately stamped as used. This is a necessary step to allow someone who entered on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa to obtain a long term Permit of Stay, like a Retirement Extension.

A full (non-used) Non-O can be obtained outside Thailand too.

Actually prior to recently, people were required to obtain a Non-Imm-O and a COE to come to Thailand.... more recently other Visa categories are being allowed, but the COE is still also needed.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fat George said:

All Non-O visas are issued outside Thailand unless converting from a different type of visa which is sometimes possible. 

Non-O is for 90 days, single or multiple. Each entry can be extended inside the Kingdom. Typically used for foreigners working here, married to a Thai, having a Thai child, self employed or retired. 

Non-OA is for 12 months and designed for retired people. 

Non-OX is for 5 years.

Hope this helps. 

O-X is a 10 year Visa. 

2 hours ago, thaitero said:

No it is not. 

You get 5 year visa from embassy..Extension has to applied to get another 5 years..

10 year visa was only marketing/fake news..

You know what the X stands for in O-X? It's the roman numeral for 10. 5+5 is 10 and that's what you're paying for.

A short description:

"Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-X” (long stay)

Purpose of Visit

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 10 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 5 years each time (total 10 years). Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited."

Is this clear enough for you? 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

You know what the X stands for in O-X? It's the roman numeral for 10. 5+5 is 10 and that's what you're paying for.

A short description:

Purpose of Visit

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 10 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 5 years each time (total 10 years). Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited."

Yes, you know the roman numbers and i know the real deal so i quess we both know something,,

One thing is for sure that when you apply extension you will be screened for requirements again and PAY again as same like anyone who apply extensions based on their initial visa,, 

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2020 at 2:33 PM, thaitero said:

Maby they think insurance is must thing for new coming retirees in these virus times,,

If retiree NON-O visa/re-entry extension would be allowed to enter that would mean such person could apply new retirement extension without insurance. When you come with NON- O-A / 0-X extensions also need insurances same as visas itself,,

Yes a valid Non O Retirement you do need to show medical insurance covering covid for the COE

46 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Yes a valid Non O Retirement you do need to show medical insurance covering covid for the COE

Having a valid Non O and re-entry permit I have my insurance in place. However it seems we are not of any value to Thailand and still can not return to what I used to think was my home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mlkik said:

Having a valid Non O and re-entry permit I have my insurance in place. However it seems we are not of any value to Thailand and still can not return to what I used to think was my home.

My call to Embassy here ( BC Canada ), I'm good to go with the valid Non O Retirement / re entry permit same as yourself, insurance etc. but a travel Covid test here is tricky and a departure Nov or Dec obviously Embassy doesn't have dates yet, she also stated by that time its very possible some commercial flights available as well. Frustrations for ALL dealing with this organizational nightmare....  Yes the Non O does seem like a 'weak visa' due to this CV19 disaster.

Edited by CANSIAM

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

My call to Embassy here ( BC Canada ), I'm good to go with the valid Non O Retirement / re entry permit same as yourself, insurance etc. but a travel Covid test here is tricky and a departure Nov or Dec obviously Embassy doesn't have dates yet, she also stated by that time its very possible some commercial flights available as well. Frustrations for ALL dealing with this organizational nightmare....  Yes the Non O does seem like a 'weak visa' due to this CV19 disaster.

The London embassy has stopped organising repatriation flights now and have said that Thai people who want to go back to Thailand and Farang who qualify cqn book their flights direct with the airlines.

There are six airlines now who have permission to fly London to Bangkok and you book your flight and then along with your ASQ booking and insurance apply for the COE.

It is a struggle to keep positive but must do so as if not I would reach for a rope to end this torture!

On 10/1/2020 at 5:23 AM, Max69xl said:

A short description:

Purpose of Visit

What kind of Thai bank balance do you need for the O-X visa (5+5 = 10 years ) ?

Edited by CANSIAM

11 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

What kind of Thai bank balance do you need for the O-X visa (5+5 = 10 years ) ?

From a embassy website.

"Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand."

I am currently in Thailand with an 0/a extension good till April 2021. I retired here with a condo, car and money in the bank ( not Married to Thai ). I am trying to find out any information of my options if I wish to travel back to USA to see my new grandson born early this year.

If leave today , I face not returning on my current o/a extension  . It is Very confusing, money and time consuming with all the rules todate. Perhaps it is better to wait till ...but I like to hear forum readers ideas and thoughts returning to USA and back to Thailand . It is times like this I wonder if retirement in Thailand was a good idea.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated . Thanks 

14 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

If leave today , I face not returning on my current o/a extension  . It is Very confusing, money and time consuming with all the rules todate. Perhaps it is better to wait till ...but I like to hear forum readers ideas and thoughts returning to USA and back to Thailand . It is times like this I wonder if retirement in Thailand was a good idea.

I think you should wait a few weeks to see how some of the newest allowances the ability ot apply for a certificate of entry and enter the country. On one for those with non immigrant visas to enter the country if they could show 500k baht in the bank for 6 months but it has not been clarified yet.

At this time it appears only new applicants for OA and Non-OX visa can enter the country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

From a embassy website.

"Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand."

3 million plus, thanks ubonjoe. 

On 10/2/2020 at 11:59 AM, mlkik said:

The London embassy has stopped organising repatriation flights now and have said that Thai people who want to go back to Thailand and Farang who qualify cqn book their flights direct with the airlines.

There are six airlines now who have permission to fly London to Bangkok and you book your flight and then along with your ASQ booking and insurance apply for the COE.

It is a struggle to keep positive but must do so as if not I would reach for a rope to end this torture!

On 10/2/2020 at 10:22 AM, CANSIAM said:

Just been updated by embassy in BC Canada, Non O retirement cannot apply for COE at this time same as UK.  Need to apply for O-A.  As she suggested I'll wait more, Thai government could change things at anytime, as my Non O retirement expires Jan. 31, 2021.  Anybody know if anyone has arrived in Thailand on a O-A or O-X ??  Bloody nightmare continues...... 

simple question !!   Can I re-enter Thailand on my Non O-A retirement (valid extension of stay ) with re-entry permit ???

Reason I ask is that when one googles the question and is referred to Thai Embassy website it does state that quote :

Holders of Non-Immigrant OA and OX Visa

BUT in the paragraph below that is categorizes / classifies that as quote :

• Foreigners who are holding non-immigrant O visas who are spouses, parents or children of Thai nationals.

It does not mention "retirees"  ??????

I really hope it does include "retirees"  as I have my flight and everything to go out booked and I was given to understand that my class of visa (retiree) was eligible !!!

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

Just been updated by embassy in BC Canada, Non O retirement cannot apply for COE at this time same as UK.  Need to apply for O-A.  As she suggested I'll wait more, Thai government could change things at anytime, as my Non O retirement expires Jan. 31, 2021.  Anybody know if anyone has arrived in Thailand on a O-A or O-X ??  Bloody nightmare continues...... 

It is only a week or so since O-A and O-X were added to the list. We have had reports of people on O-A receiving COE so expect arrivals will be start in a week or two.

The reason for not including retirees on non-O is unclear. If simply an oversight, and if enough people speak up (in venues that government will see, e.g. letters to newspapers ,  and calls to Embassies - not just TVF) it may indeed soon change.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2020 at 11:03 AM, Alotoftravel said:

I am currently in Thailand with an 0/a extension good till April 2021. I retired here with a condo, car and money in the bank ( not Married to Thai ). I am trying to find out any information of my options if I wish to travel back to USA to see my new grandson born early this year.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated . Thanks 

"It is times like this I wonder if retirement in Thailand was a good idea."

You do understand that the current restrictions exist because of a pandemic? If you were an Aussie, you weren't allowed to enter or even leave Australia for a long time. And that's for Aussie nationals. You can leave Thailand almost any day or week you want, but you won't be able to come back straight away. You need to wait until the emergency decree is lifted, and maybe some of the requirements for coming back will change. But imo, it probably won't happen the next couple of months. 

16 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

simple question !!   Can I re-enter Thailand on my Non O-A retirement (valid extension of stay ) with re-entry permit ???

Reason I ask is that when one googles the question and is referred to Thai Embassy website it does state that quote :

Holders of Non-Immigrant OA and OX Visa

BUT in the paragraph below that is categorizes / classifies that as quote :

• Foreigners who are holding non-immigrant O visas who are spouses, parents or children of Thai nationals.

It does not mention "retirees"  ??????

I really hope it does include "retirees"  as I have my flight and everything to go out booked and I was given to understand that my class of visa (retiree) was eligible !!!

People on O-A and O-X visas or extensions are allowed to apply for the CoE. This has officially been announced. The reason they are mentioning Non-O based on spouse, parents or having kids, is that people on Non-O based on retirement are NOT allowed yet. You should know that Thai authorities incl embassies and consulates have never been very good at explaining things in proper English. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Mine expires 15th Jan and I am now starting the process of applying for the O-A. I have waited and waited and can do so no longer .

As you say it is a nightmare and I am going to do something positive about it and hopefully soon will be able to return.

When I am back I can then think about future option whether to keep a O- A or change back to O.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

People on O-A and O-X visas or extensions are allowed to apply for the CoE. This has officially been announced

Kax69xl :

Thanks , this clears up that I can apply for the coe with my existing o-a. I thought  it only refers to new o-a visa. 

7 hours ago, mlkik said:

Mine expires 15th Jan and I am now starting the process of applying for the O-A. I have waited and waited and can do so no longer .

As you say it is a nightmare and I am going to do something positive about it and hopefully soon will be able to return.

When I am back I can then think about future option whether to keep a O- A or change back to O.

I'm starting 0-A application as well, holding off a bit just yet before sending, good luck we are in the same situation....

• Like 1