Thailand Road Carnage: Driver dead, 20 students injured in school van smash

webfact

Thailand Road Carnage: Driver dead, 20 students injured in school van smash

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Around twenty school students were taken to hospital with minor injuries after a Toyota Corolla slammed into the front on a school minivan on the Mukdahan to Don Tan road yesterday morning.

Thanaphon, 25, the driver of the Corolla was dead behind the steering wheel. 

Chatree, the driver of the school van suffered leg injuries and was trapped in the vehicle. 

4pm3.jpg

Picture: Daily News

He and the students were all taken to Mukdahan Hospital.

Thanaphon had been going from Mukdahan to Don Tan and lost control of his vehicle at a bend in the road, initial investigations suggest. 

Soure: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-01

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

...but sadder still is cramming 20 kids into a minibus.

This could have had a much worse outcome if the oncoming vehicle had been bigger.

Yes, 20 kids in that van. They were crammed inside. It wrong to call it a minibus. 

I'm having a hard time grasping the van driver lost control. I'd bet he was cutting a corner.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

20 students in a van that should seat 13?

At least the driver cannot re-offend, hope the injured do not suffer too much trauma.

The van driver survived  and it seems the driver of the other vehicle was to blame for the accident.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I'm having a hard time grasping the van driver lost control. I'd bet he was cutting a corner.

I think they're blaming the car driver.  "Thanaphon had been going from Mukdahan to Don Tan and lost control of his vehicle at a bend".

Dead men don't tell lies...

Makes me want to vomit when I hear about how relaxed the cops are here.

This is the reason me and the Mrs drive our 4 kids to school and pick them up everyday, an hour round trip in the morning and the same in the afternoon.

See minivans overtake us doing at least 100kmph daily crammed with kids in them like sardines, as young as 3 in the front seat with no boosters or seat belts and they wonder why they have such a high road toll.

Different day, same same.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Very sad indeed for all the school children and I wish them all a speedy recovery. However, may I ask why a rather insensitive video of the injured children was posted with the OP?? Just imagine the distress it may cause if viewed by any of the parents and/or relatives. With respect, do "global moderators" have the power to remove such videos??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Makes me want to vomit when I hear about how relaxed the cops are here.

This is the reason me and the Mrs drive our 4 kids to school and pick them up everyday, an hour round trip in the morning and the same in the afternoon.

See minivans overtake us doing at least 100kmph daily crammed with kids in them like sardines, as young as 3 in the front seat with no boosters or seat belts and they wonder why they have such a high road toll.

Different day, same same.

Same here... 

My son doesn’t go in a vehicle unless he’s strapped in a child car seat. 

It’s a little more difficult with school trips (he’s only been on 2 so far) they go in a school van, in convoy, seatbelts on all of them (its a good int’l school so I’m confident of their safety standards).

That said, I still wouldn’t be happy about him travelling too and from school each day in a vehicle without a dedicated car seat (i.e. Britax etc). 

My Wife drives or I drive my son to and from school and pick him up - we know exactly how safe we are driving. 

I’m constantly amazed at the amount of wealthy people I see with fancy cars, Alphard vans etc and the kids are unrestrained - educated people who could readily afford car seats if they were fashionable, completely uneducated in safety and highlighting their ignorance. 

I’m a lot more sympathetic towards those with kids on motorcycles who have extremely limited transport options. 

I’m not so sympathetic towards a school which allows 20 kids in a 13 seater van - but its better than cramming kids in a Songthaew.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Very sad indeed for all the school children and I wish them all a speedy recovery. However, may I ask why a rather insensitive video of the injured children was posted with the OP?? Just imagine the distress it may cause if viewed by any of the parents and/or relatives. With respect, do "global moderators" have the power to remove such videos??

Thai news normally blur the victims.  

And of course images of dead victims, alcohol, gun, and kids faces are usually blurred by default.

I looked at the video.  All the relevant people are blurred out so they cannot be identified.    News is still news though; cannot change what happened.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

20 students injured

I thought it was another Thai classroom CCTV clip.

Injured at school.

Injured on the way to school.

What's tomorrow's news, Thai made beds collapse injuring children as they sleep, built out of cardboard and Lego?

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here... 

My son doesn’t go in a vehicle unless he’s strapped in a child car seat. 

It’s a little more difficult with school trips (he’s only been on 2 so far) they go in a school van, in convoy, seatbelts on all of them (its a good int’l school so I’m confident of their safety standards).

That said, I still wouldn’t be happy about him travelling too and from school each day in a vehicle without a dedicated car seat (i.e. Britax etc). 

My Wife drives or I drive my son to and from school and pick him up - we know exactly how safe we are driving. 

I’m constantly amazed at the amount of wealthy people I see with fancy cars, Alphard vans etc and the kids are unrestrained - educated people who could readily afford car seats if they were fashionable, completely uneducated in safety and highlighting their ignorance. 

I’m a lot more sympathetic towards those with kids on motorcycles who have extremely limited transport options. 

I’m not so sympathetic towards a school which allows 20 kids in a 13 seater van - but its better than cramming kids in a Songthaew.

Your second last paragraph, I can agree with you, but only if the rider is not underage and has a licence, but in the vast majority of cases upcountry here, there are lots of underage riders given the motorbike keys from stupid parents.