Thailand now open to long-stay tourists

webfact

5 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Have fun getting your testing before coming, plane tickets that may get cancelled, arrival, quarantine in a very expensive hotel with cheap thai food costing 8X the price.  Listening to booming music outside your door because it's "amazing thailand" for 14 days.  Going to closed deserted tourist attractions, hard to find food, the usual rip=offs, finding a way back to the airport in hopes that your flight hasn't been cancelled.  Get another COVID test maybe because of your own countries restrictions, and see if your plane will actually fly.  Then enjoy another 14 day quarantine when you get home.  Cost at least 10k USD.

NO THANK YOU!  

Sounds exciting! I like a challenge:)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

When will this list of low risk countries be revealed? Aside from the paymaster generals China.

Strange how in China aside from Public holidays the minimum annual leave entitlement is only 5 days, so how and why are these Chinese coming here? Nothing to do with tourism thats a fact.

Buy unsold condos?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

There are so many beautiful places in the world to visit what make these clowns think they are going to attract millions to Thailand with all this nonsense. The USA has more beautiful places than here with no restrictions by comparison. Same in Europe. Did The Prime minister get his beyond dumb idea of tracking bracelets passed? Many potential tourists will buy the video of their favorite destination and a case of fine wine to relax while watching it.

Not many places are open or don't require quarantine or have a stable Covid situation.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

china unleashes a virus and now they are rewarded

Some full on 'Gorki-400' paranoia right there... or if you like your paranoia dashed with a more modern element shoot for 'Wuhan-400’..... in ‘The Eyes Of Darkness’ it doesn’t matter...  a ‘koontz’y’ level of paranoia fits the bill in what is clearly turning out to be an outrageously insane year..... (not in a good way)... 

How much of Italy’s Banks are owned by Chinese investors ? - Ohhhhh... maybe you have something !

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:
3 hours ago, jerolamo said:

you have to choose a passport from a country where they did no test at all for get lucky with zero risk.

As ridiculous as it is by facts.

Don't understand your reply... sorry. 

More testing = more positive cases. 

The tests are not 100% accurate. Paper published in the Lancet (not peer reviewed, yet) suggests 0.8% to 4.0% false positive error margin on Covid-19 RT PCR tests.

Thus:

1000 tests = the possibility of 8 to 40 false positives. 

100,000 tests = the possibility of 80 to 400 false positives. 

The UK has carried out >22 Million tests 

The UK carried own 198,402 tests on 29th Sept (One Day) - thats a possible 1587 to 7936 possible false positives in one day. 

Hence, jeralamo’s comment - to come from a country with no Covid-19 numbers, you have to be in a country which isn’t testing. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:
7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone who can show ties to Thailand should be allowed in. 

So, anyone who owns a motorbike in Thailand should be allowed in?

You got to set the bar someplace.

Where is this schadenfreude coming from? why not let anyone in if they are prepared to go through the quarantine process ???

What is there to gain from preventing anyone from entering Thailand....  I cannot think of a logical reason to prevent anyone who meets normal visa requirements for whatever reason if they are prepared to go through the Quarantine process as it stands. 

[you got to set the bar someplace] - Why ??? the bar has already been set at a 15 day quarantine, what else does there need to be?

The rest is simple sanctimony an idiocy. 

• Thanks 1

So even if my US passport weren't radioactive, there's no way I'd jump through all these hoops, and I'm likely one of the people this thing's targeted for.

I have a long term rental contract, plenty of money, I'm nomadic, and I often stay at least 3 months when I visit the country, and I've been isolating for the last 7 months.

But all these requirements? I'm good. I'll find something a little less far afield this winter. It's already a slog in normal times coming halfway around the world, even when you fly in business class. I come to Thailand to relax, not be even more stressed. I can do that right here in COVIDLandia for free.

I understand the folks who need to get back to their families. Maybe that's who they should focus on as the first group of people to let in.

China should be the last country they consider letting in. And I say that as a holder of a Chinese business visa. But we all know why.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

Guys like you should have been allowed back in first,look at the amount ,like you,that are stranded overseas,and would have been spending money within the Thai economy had they used their heads,i personally know 3 people in your position,but no way are they going to jump through the hoops that the Thai Govt have in place at present to return.

Just as an example,one of them plays 8 rounds of golf every month,and eats out almost every day,but that money in now being spent in Oz instead of Pattaya,so it gives you a good idea of where u guys are on the food chain in the Brains trust department in Bangkok.

I'm in Oz on the gold coast and was planning going back around November when my medical treatments were done. I own my home in Bangkok but yesterday's sneaky 400k insurance broke the camels back 

My retirement extension is up for renewal in May so will take another look in April. Meanwhile my money being spent in Oz and happy to stay on the sunny gold coast until the raping ceases 

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The tests are not 100% accurate. Paper published in the Lancet (not peer reviewed, yet) suggests 0.8% to 4.0% false positive error margin on Covid-19 RT PCR tests.

Thus:

The UK carried own 198,402 tests on 29th Sept (One Day) - thats a possible 1587 to 7936 possible false positives in one day. 

Hence, jeralamo’s comment - to come from a country with no Covid-19 numbers, you have to be in a country which isn’t testing. 

Thanks for clarifying.

Wasn't really concerned with if their definition of low risk us correct. More in the context of whether I qualify for a long term tourist visa. 

17 hours ago, wombat said:

Under current coronavirus travel restrictions, Australians are only allowed to leave the country for official business or compassionate personal reasons.

You may also leave if you are considered an 'overseas resident', that is - you have lived overseas longer than in Australia in the preceding two years. Getting a flight to Thailand may be problematic.

maybe Korea and Singapore and Japan? Japanese companies need workers. Forget farangs.

Wake me up when the government says they will pay for the lost 14 days of quarantine. I think you would have to stay for quite a while to factor in that loss of money and time. Friends of mine who make good money are not up for wasting 2 weeks and paying for it. The government needs to understand rich people (whom they covet) tend to have more choices.

And 45,000 for insurance when I already have insurance that will cover me!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tengtai said:

What about us expats that has a retirement visa or extension of stay but we are in our home countries at the moment? I don't want or need a long stay tourist visa. I have an insurance already, had for many years. I have family, not married, in Thailand. I hope we can come back to LOS with the same permissions, quarantine, proof of insurance and address where we lives. 

Call your Thai embassy, a valid Non O retirement can apply for a COE along with the O-A / X-O visas. 

Thailand is ready for tourism (the rich one, of course), but is tourism ready for Thailand? 
Here in koh Samui, wherever on the street is full of garbage, overturned bins, plastic, bottles, cans, leftover food, the best way to discourage tourism, as if the rules imposed for entry were not enough.
Apart from a few resorts, almost everything is closed, only street food really survives, but restaurants that before the pandemic were always full booking are now closed and will not reopen for a few hundred tourists who I don't think will come to Thailand to be confined in golden cages.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus:

And not all positives for SARS-CoV-2 develop COVID-19. There should be a clinical diagnosis in addition to a positive test in order to count the actual number of those who caught the disease, not just the infection.

Also, PCR picks up dead virus too. I'm not sure which part of the RNA the reagents react to, but a positive doesn't necessarily mean the infection is ongoing, it could already be gone.

There's a lot af casedemic clickbaiting in the air and it ain't helping anybody.

Edited by DrTuner

On 10/1/2020 at 4:21 AM, Blumpie said:

Have fun getting your testing before coming, plane tickets that may get cancelled, arrival, quarantine in a very expensive hotel with cheap thai food costing 8X the price.  Listening to booming music outside your door because it's "amazing thailand" for 14 days.  Going to closed deserted tourist attractions, hard to find food, the usual rip=offs, finding a way back to the airport in hopes that your flight hasn't been cancelled.  Get another COVID test maybe because of your own countries restrictions, and see if your plane will actually fly.  Then enjoy another 14 day quarantine when you get home.  Cost at least 10k USD.

NO THANK YOU!  

Thailand shouldn't be on ANYONE'S holiday destination at the moment unless you have some sort of 'ties' their...... 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:43 PM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

> Proof of health and accident insurance policy, which should cover the entire period of stay in Thailand, with insurance for medical expenses in case of outpatient treatment of not less than Bt40,000 and in case of inpatient treatment of not less than Bt400,000.

So no 100.000 USD special Corona insurance needed now? New rules every day in this country!

Which other countries have such crazy claims on tourists.

On 10/1/2020 at 3:38 PM, AbeNormal said:

so 2x insurance policies are now required

one for covid and the other the same as OA visa plus all the requirements like bookings, bank deposits, tests, GPS tracking and all the quarantine requirements

are they mad

And they still want and expect tourists to flood to Thailand. YES they are mad.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, wombat said:

Under current coronavirus travel restrictions, Australians are only allowed to leave the country for official business or compassionate personal reasons.

And those "compassionate reasons" are practically Non existant.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:27 PM, Bender Rodriguez said:

or deny or to force people to use SCAMMER agents & corrupted IO's ...

that freaking list is a BIG JOKE

I wonder how much it cost those hotels and insurance companies to get themselves on the approved list.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:27 PM, Jimbo53 said:

The 3 guys i know all own their own condo's,eat out and 2 play golf,have worked in,and their residence has been Thailand for many years,this shabby treatment of them,and many others like them by the Thai government ,will leave a sour taste in their mouths for a very long time.

I feel that i am one of those shabbily treated. OK i am not one of those "welcomed" Chinese business people as i am a pensioner who was living quite easily in Isaan with my partner of 8 years and our adopted  5 yr old daughter on a measly Bht 50,000 per month, not many Thai pensioners in Isaan are getting that much i believe. I have lived in Thailand for 12 years, the last 4 on O-A visas which expire this month. I am now stranded in Australia and at my age although i am fit and well, i cannot get the crazy insurance.  Yes i do feel shabbily treated by the Thai Hi-So who can only think of themselves.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:24 PM, FalangJaiDee said:

is there a way to circumvent this by flying to a “”””low risk””” country from the USA and applying for a STV from the second country? 

On 10/1/2020 at 11:24 PM, FalangJaiDee said:

is there a way to circumvent this by flying to a “”””low risk””” country from the USA and applying for a STV from the second country? 

I don't understand this as a Brit ex-pat friend of mine and his wife have just flown from their Thai home to the USA return,for a 3 month holiday. And i notice that the USA is one of the high risk countries.

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some full on 'Gorki-400' paranoia right there... or if you like your paranoia dashed with a more modern element shoot for 'Wuhan-400’..... in ‘The Eyes Of Darkness’ it doesn’t matter...  a ‘koontz’y’ level of paranoia fits the bill in what is clearly turning out to be an outrageously insane year..... (not in a good way)... 

How much of Italy’s Banks are owned by Chinese investors ? - Ohhhhh... maybe you have something !

are u speaking code or english.  i didnt get a word or your paranoia